Thread: New to bear baiting

Default New to bear baiting

I am new to bear baiting, I just took the class here in fairbanks last night. I am curious if there is anyone in the area that would show me the ropes. I mean I would like to learn how to setup a site or learn how to clean and skin one once it is down. I am not looking to hunt with any or take their spot. I just want to learn where (good locations in an area not the area) set up a bait station. I am willing to haul bait in and willing to help with getting a bear out. I have my own four wheeler and jet boat if that helps.
    Thanks for the help.

Feet, wheeler, or boat are all fine in your region.

I never knew there were classes on baiting, but, carbs, protiens and sweets are a bears addiction.

Stinky is not the rule. Avoiding "trespass" by fellow "outdoorsmen" is.

In your region I'd bait on the legal side of the border of what is legal, and, where few others tread.

These bears can avoid a natural diet for a bird feeder that they can smell from miles away.

The biggest issue is how much time will you invest trusting nature?
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Trusting nature? I am not sure what you mean. Like good sign and how long do wait on game?

Default Sweet

If you want black bears -- which most of the state will not allow baiting for Brown/Grizz...

You want SWEET. Stink Sweet. Not rot.

There is no hard fast that says rotting will only bring brown, or sweet will only bring black. But, to stereotype bears... yep... them black bears have a bit of a sweet tooth.

Try the Wiki -- might help
    http://wiki.outdoorsdirectory.com/wiki/Bear_baiting

When you are picking a place for the barrel -- ask yourself...
    Do I feel comfortable here? Can I see something coming, or is it going to sneak up on me?

If you don't feel comfortable, why should a bear?

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    Trusting nature? I am not sure what you mean. Like good sign and how long do wait on game?
    What I meant was that you can trust their noses and not your own. Give them what they like and they'll find it in short order.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

check out this thread... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=28965
    all are perfect examples of what a site can look like and how to set up. sit as far away as you feel comfortable, whether you shoot rifle or bow. know your in and out trail, cuz you will be using it after dark. if you can afford a trail cam, go for it. its a great tattle tail on what's hittin. last year, mine was all martens...
    while checkin out that thread, look at the location these guys are settin up in. look at the terrain, the setting, and the time of day they are gettin hit. try to find a location similar these guys. there are plenty of places around here to bait. I just wish when guys leave or quit baiting they would tell everyone their location so we dont pass it by thinkin its occupied....anyways. your in the right place, these guys are real helpful and offer years of experience.