Thread: Anybody winter sow seeds?

Default Anybody winter sow seeds?

Does anybody use winter sowing technique to plant seeds? If so, what have you had success with?

I heard about this in MG class last year. I did a little research (starting at http://wintersown.org/) and tried it out. It worked great! You have to do a little reading about what seeds can do well in the cold, but I was amazed at what did well! I just did flowers last year, but I guess some veggies take to this method. It saved me tons of space inside and time that I would have fussed over them inside. The marigolds, poppies, alyssum, delphiniums, columbine, forgetmenots did really well. I will have to get out my notebook for a full list.

The idea is to plant your seeds as per the directions in starter pots. Give them a healthy soaking. Cover the pots up tight with plastic or a cover that the light gets through (making sure there is some space for the plant to start sprouting between the soil and the cover) Put a couple of holes in the cover. And set the whole thing outside!

I didn't start any this spring because we were going to move. Now we are going to stay another year, and I am thinking about throwing a couple of flats together and sticking them outside. This is a little late in the year for trying...still could with some seeds though.

Default More

Here's a really good discussion on it too.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

now i would like to try this method!

Ray
    Semper Fi!