Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bad day fishing in Alaska is...

Default A bad day fishing in Alaska is...

So, Ive been going over numerous old posts. Ive probably read, close to 200 threads from 2005-2007. REally good information, and lot of it made me laugh. Some of you guys really like to bug each other.

Anyways, I came upon this thread talking about the first run of reds, sometime around mid June 2006.

Anyways, there was this one post that really made me even more excited about my trip than I already am. I dont remember the exact words, but is was something like: "I had a pretty crappy day fishing. I only brought 4 reds home.

Only 4??? You only caught 4 of one of the tastiest fish on the planet? 4 in one day and it was a crappy day?

Is this normal to all of you Ak residents?

How many fish do you expect to catch on a good day of red fishing? or silver fishing? I read in another thread about one guy and his son who caught over 40 reds each in a day...Now, is that exaggerated? For some reason, I dont think it is.

I should hand out resumes when I get to Anchorage because Im not going to want to leave.

Default A bad day fishing in Alaska is...

Having a rod slam down on the first pass backtrolling Kenai kings... fight it to the boat only to see clouds of blood with each stroke of the gill-plates.

10 minutes out of the chute, and have to retire a rod for the rest of the day... DAMM!

Cringing at the deplorable release technique of a blatant ripper as he sorts thru a dozen or more snagged Kenai reds to finally bag his three "legal" fish for the day.

Pulling up to the boat ramp to see another giant Kenai sealer hanging from the racks.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default bad day? long day

how about a day that is lond which makes it bad. last year i took out 4 men and 2 ladies sightseeing/ fishing. left dock at 6 am got to fishing grounds by 8 am within 30 min had 4 halibut on deck 50-100#( would not fit in fish hold)by the time i finish filleting the first 2 fish i had 3 more waiting 60-70#. that i hear a scream like i have never heard in my life then get trampled by one of the females as she runs into my canvas and refuses to come out on deck. she was ready to go somewhere else. i say ok and everyone reals up.. or tries to, seems like a bunch of big butt cane to the surface around the boat and a few got hooked. these fish were 100-150 #, after convincing them that they were females we let them go, in the mean time we were watching these butts comme up to within 10 foot of the boat and sit there. the woman in the cabin started to scream again so her husband went to see what was wrong, on the other side of the boat there was a rather large halibut just sitting in the shadow and she thought that it was going to get in the boat and sink us..lol this fish had to be 200# and it was eating all the little fish that had gathered under the boat for the shade/cover. needless to say it was a long day with rockfish,salmon,butt to clean when you are the only 1 that knows how to fillet. we had fish hold full of ice and fillets, 2 large marine coolers full of fillets and no bags left by the end of the day. and i found out later that when she first screamed she threw the rod in the water and i could not get her to come outside the canvas for the rest of the time we were out. and my boat is not big enough to have someon under that cover and to scared to go outside on the deck. her husband comes up every year but she will not come up because in her words " i am not going to go where there are fish who want to eat me." she hasn't come back and i guess she stays away from the water in texas also. you never know what you will see or loose on any trip,everyday can be different. new policy on boat if you break it you replace it. now that is a bad day i spent atleast 6 hours filleting fish, when ii get back to the tunnel its closed for the night and we are stuck until morning waiting for the tunnel to open, with fresh fish on the boat and bears around whittier.

Default Those AK days...

They are amazing.

I've been on boats when the decks have run blood-red from the overkill.
    I've seen fish finders light up like Christmas trees.
    I've observed transoms become living carpets when halibut were brought up en mase by all aboard and fliped at the same time.
    I've experienced glory holes that spit out so many salmon that I quit out of sheer exhaustion.

You are about to hit Fish City Central...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    how about a day that is lond which makes it bad. last year i took out 4 men and 2 ladies sightseeing/ fishing. left dock at 6 am got to fishing grounds by 8 am within 30 min had 4 halibut on deck 50-100#( would not fit in fish hold)by the time i finish filleting the first 2 fish i had 3 more waiting 60-70#. that i hear a scream like i have never heard in my life then get trampled by one of the females as she runs into my canvas and refuses to come out on deck. she was ready to go somewhere else. i say ok and everyone reals up.. or tries to, seems like a bunch of big butt cane to the surface around the boat and a few got hooked. these fish were 100-150 #, after convincing them that they were females we let them go, in the mean time we were watching these butts comme up to within 10 foot of the boat and sit there. the woman in the cabin started to scream again so her husband went to see what was wrong, on the other side of the boat there was a rather large halibut just sitting in the shadow and she thought that it was going to get in the boat and sink us..lol this fish had to be 200# and it was eating all the little fish that had gathered under the boat for the shade/cover. needless to say it was a long day with rockfish,salmon,butt to clean when you are the only 1 that knows how to fillet. we had fish hold full of ice and fillets, 2 large marine coolers full of fillets and no bags left by the end of the day. and i found out later that when she first screamed she threw the rod in the water and i could not get her to come outside the canvas for the rest of the time we were out. and my boat is not big enough to have someon under that cover and to scared to go outside on the deck. her husband comes up every year but she will not come up because in her words " i am not going to go where there are fish who want to eat me." she hasn't come back and i guess she stays away from the water in texas also. you never know what you will see or loose on any trip,everyday can be different. new policy on boat if you break it you replace it. now that is a bad day i spent atleast 6 hours filleting fish, when ii get back to the tunnel its closed for the night and we are stuck until morning waiting for the tunnel to open, with fresh fish on the boat and bears around whittier.

I will gladly take this woman's place any time!!!! I don't suppose hoards of ravenous 200# halibut circling the boat is the norm.......huh?

Soda
    A normal day fishing bows and dollies on the Kenai in September, for me any way is 50-100 fish a day. Most times it's a little slower at the beginning of the month if there are still lots of reds around. I've been out halibut fishing once out of Homer. We didn't get any monsters (the biggest was abou 35#) but I managed to land 6 and lost an equal # on a September 2003 charter. September steelhead I usually stick 5 to 10 a day.

Dude #1: "You ok man? You seem down?"

AKFUN: "Awe, man, you wont believe what happened today...All these stupid fish kept biting my bait, and hooking themselves...They just wouldnt leave me alone. The worst part, was that they weighed more than me!! I mean, I could understand if they were 1,2lbs, but they were so big they actually scared someone silly!! I just dont get it, why couldnt they just hide, or leave my jig alone! Go bite someone elses lures you silly fish!"

Dude #1: "Man...that sucks... I hope you didnt have to eat them"

AKFUN: "Thats another problem!!! I had to fillet them for 6 freaking hours because the flesh is so **** tasty, that I HAD to freeze them. At least if it were like freshwater bass, I could just throw them out, but nooooo, the flesh just had to be white, firm and delicious!!"

Dude #1: "Get the hell out of Alaska man...its driving you crazy."

AKFUN: "I know...I know...with my luck, I'd probably get stuck hooking King after King next time. Now I REALLY dont want that happening."

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post

Default Seward September halibut!

My first charter when I came up here was out of Seward on Sept. 6. We went out within easy sight of Montague island. We caught so many halibut my arms were sore for a week. Four of us on the boat probably averaged 35 halibut a piece that day. Biggest was about 60 pounds and we didn't keep a fish under 30 pounds. We limited on 35-55 pound ling cod. And I caught two silver salmon, one was 12 pounds and the other was 15 on my halibut pole with herring. I have had luck just about like that ever since fishing out of seward.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Soda
    A normal day fishing bows and dollies on the Kenai in September, for me any way is 50-100 fish a day. .
    Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    my arms were sore for a week. .

Im not joking here...

I cary dumbbells around with me from hotel to hotel, and I do arm curls, work my shoulders, biceps etc so that I am not sore after a day of non stop fishing. Because even superman gets sore after 100 rainbows.

The wife out fishes you
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default The Only!!!

the Only Bad Day Fishing Is A Day You Don't Get To Go!!!!! :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have certinly fished and not caught fish, and I would be willing to bet every one else out there has too.

It sounds to me like the other posts are setting you up for dissapointment.

Realy to answer your question truthfully a bad day fishing in alaska is when people get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I have certinly fished and not caught fish, and I would be willing to bet every one else out there has too.

It sounds to me like the other posts are setting you up for dissapointment.

Realy to answer your question truthfully a bad day fishing in alaska is when people get hurt.
    Dont worry. I know what fishing is like, and I know that you cant catch tens and twenty fish everyday. The skunk lives in all of us, but still...this is really fun to read!

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Really to answer your question truthfully a bad day fishing in alaska is when people get hurt.

OR EATEN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    The wife out fishes you
    Actually, those are my favorite days. My wife caught a rainbow FAR larger than any I had ever caught on her first try last year. I've never been more pleased on the water.

Bad day:

Standing on a bend in the river and seeing 50-60 kings holding while you spend the next 6 hours throwing everyhing you can legaly throw and not getting a single bite. But you keep standing there because at 6 hours and one minuite those big boys might decide to bite.

Average day:
    5-20 fish depending on what you are targeting.

Good Day:
    21+ fish or 1 realy big fish
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

A bad day is when the weather stops the fleet from going out for three days in a row.. Like when I was there in mid May four years ago!! I'm chompping at the bit for mid June this year
    Hhounds

My first halibut trip up here was with a friend of my father-in-laws out of Valdez. He took us out to Hitchenbrook Island area. It was him, my father-in-law, grandfather (who had just turned 82), and I. He stopped at a spot just off the island and said he had caught them in that spot before, but if we didn't have any luck, we would move. That was at about 10 a.m. Within one minute of dropping a line, up came a 'butt, about 25 pounds. There was not a moment of five minutes that day that we did not have a halibut on at least one line. It was non-stop until about 3 p.m when we called it quits. We were exhausted. Nothing bigger than about 45 pounds, but what a blast.

With that said, I have had days where I haven't caught any fish at all. I fished 4 or 5 times my first summer here without catching a single red. It was frustrating. The next summer, everything clicked, and I've done well since. I've never had a 50 fish day, but have had a few 20 fish days.

As for silvers, I usually fish these on the Little Su' with a friend who takes us up in a boat. We usually fish after work, so from about 7 pm to 11 pm. Best night was about 20 silvers. Have had a few 3-4 fish nights as well, but have not been skunked yet.

As for kings - have yet to get one in the boat up here. Granted, I've only chased them 3 or 4 times, but still, nothing. The first time I went out was on the Deshka. Was on my friends boat (same one as Little Su) and fishing time started at 6 am. At 6:01 I had a king on the line, about 35 pounds. Got it up to the boat and when my friend went to net it, the net hit the line wrong and the fish was gone. Haven't had another bit yet.

So it has definitely been a mix for me thus far. But I have no problem continuing to practice and learn how to catch more, more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Actually, those are my favorite days. My wife caught a rainbow FAR larger than any I had ever caught on her first try last year. I've never been more pleased on the water.
    Soon it will be your kids outfishing you!!!

Funniest day of fishing I've had is when we fished the Russian a couple summers ago. We were in the cottonwood hole and my wife kept getting strike after strike, but not a single fish landed. There was another family there and this kid must have about 7 or 8 years old. He just kept pulling fish after fish out. My wife is the most patient and non-aggressive person I know, and used to be an elementary special-ed teacher before staying home with our kids. That day she was ready to throw that kid into the water because he was making her look so bad at fishing. To this day she still says "I don't catch reds, only those little punk kids do."

My most enjoyable times fishing now are when head to Hope for pinks, because my daughter AND my wife catch all day long. I am just hoping I can teach my wife to get the reds before my daughter starts pulling them in one after the other.

My two girls DO outfish me, just about everytime we go. It doesn't make a difference if its kings on the Kasilof or Halibut. Those are GOOD days!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast