Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning halibut?

Default cleaning halibut?

I have a question. As I understand it you are not allowed to "field dress" your halibut. So what if your stay out 2 days so you can have your 4 in possession? How do you keep it? Aren't the worms gonna get into the meat if you wait to fillet it? I have never gotten to go out free lance. WE always had to take a charter. They cleaned the fish on the way back in. So what's up with this rule. WE don't have a big hold or anything either and don't really wanna leave them over the side of the boat Just wondering.

Default Search

This has been been gone over a number of times.

Basically, if you fillet the halibut into 4 whole fillets, so that the number of total fish can be determined, you will be fine.

If you fillet the fish and cut them into pieces so that the total number of fish can not be determined..... your gonna be in the trooper blogs.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    This has been been gone over a number of times.

Basically, if you fillet the halibut into 4 whole fillets, so that the number of total fish can be determined, you will be fine.

If you fillet the fish and cut them into pieces so that the total number of fish can not be determined..... your gonna be in the trooper blogs.
    Couldn't of said it better.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default duh?

Well they leave it kind of in the air and I am a newbie, does it show?
    Any ways I was thinking that is how it "should" be thanks you guys, this has been a great place to brush up on techniques and rules and just general knowledge. It is great that you guys share! Man I wanna nice chunk of white meat! that sounds dirty Hehe

Default by the way

So with the Halibut taken care of do you just go to shore and boil up the shrimp? I don't believe I have ever even SEEN a live shrimp. Heads on or off before ya boil, do you ever take them home raw or is that askin for a long day on the throne? OOps it's shown again isn't it

Take a look in the Alaskan Pantry forum for some tips on what to do with shrimp. Yes, you can boil or grill them right away. You can also take them home for another day as long as they are kept on ice. Some folks eat the heads, but most eat the tails only, particularly if they'll be kept for more than a day or so. Remove the heads right after pulling them from the water.

Do you just rip them off or cut them...

Default Heads

Hold the head in the left hand, thumb and trigger-finger just behind the first joint in the back. Use your right hand thumb on top (fingers under) and press your thumb down on the first joint behind the head, and snap back with just a little pressure.

Throw the left hand piece away. Put the right hand in the bucket. Once in a while the hands get confused and the fish get feed.

If you are returning to port within 2 hours, you can keep them fairly alive in salt water.

Do they wiggle?

Default Only

Only for a second....

And you can eat them raw.

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    Do they wiggle?
    Grip the head and tail tightly. Twist. The won't wiggle for long.

I'm not big on sushi! But a light boil or some of the recipes on the pantry forum just sounds awesome. I can't wait to give it a shot! Thansks!

PS all I need now are some coordinates!

Default shrimp ideas

Depending on what recipe you are going to use the shrimp in, you may want to reconsider removing the heads. Especially any time you are going to make a sauce. The liquid in the head adds flavor to the dish.

Most restaurants in Europe that serve fresh shrimp leave the heads on them. It freaks a lot of Americans out to have their food stare back at them.

Default Delicacy

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    Depending on what recipe you are going to use the shrimp in, you may want to reconsider removing the heads. Especially any time you are going to make a sauce. The liquid in the head adds flavor to the dish.

Most restaurants in Europe that serve fresh shrimp leave the heads on them. It freaks a lot of Americans out to have their food stare back at them.
    Remove head from body. Butterfly the body and serve over a bit of rice with wasabi and ginger.

Drop head in very hot oil and fry until crispy. Plate the body and rice with the crispy head on a small plate. When the head is cool enough not to burn the mouth pop it in your mouth. Nice and crispy, kind of like potato chips. The best part is watching your fishing partners turn green. Served this way in the finest sushi restaurants and not nearly as fresh.

Default bait

Wouldn't shrimp heads make great bait for silvers? Something I have wondered but not tried yet.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Shrimp heads make great shrimp pot bait too.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin 45 View Post
    Shrimp heads make great shrimp pot bait too.
    CANNIBALS!!!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

If you're in 2C (SouthEast) you can fillet all you want as long as you keep the carcasses whole... we have to measure, at least under the current regs... ugh!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    PS all I need now are some coordinates!

That was a good one. Almost got away with this....

These shrimp don't taste as good steamed with old bay. I have to soak them in something then cook them. I like Italian dressing then put them over the BBQ
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast