Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What factory 30-06 ammo....

Default What factory 30-06 ammo....

I'm new to shooting and would like to know if.......
    Just kiddin'.

What is a good quality factory ammo for the 30-06 in the 150-165 grain bullet weight,not too expensive, not to "super premium" and not "lght magnum" that would still be an appropriate load for black bear and caribou. I don't buy factory ammo but I want to send a hunter afield with ammo that can be found around the state to hunt and sight in with.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have a old .30-06 at the cabin for the "just in case" a critter comes through gun. It used to be my old faithful. I shoot 180gn core-lokts in it and it shoots very well. Never shot the 150-165gn loads, imagine they would be very accurate in that cal. Give the Remington 180gn core-lokts a try, you'll like em.

Any one every shot the 55gn loads for the 06? Seen them at the SW, looks like a wicked little load.

Yep, Remington Core-Lokt ammo can be found on almost every village store shelf out here in bush Alaska. Mostly 165 and 180 grain PSP, and 220 grain SP ammo. Some of the bigger hub communities may also carry the Premier Core-lokt Ultrabonded 150, 168 and 180 grain ammo. Most everyone uses Core-lokt, at least out here.

Default factory 06 ammo

Murphy I've had good results down here with federal plain red box 165s and remington 165 corelokts both shot around inch to inch and a half in six different rifles mdl 70s rem 700s and ruger m77s they both worked well on deer and hogs up to 400 pounds hope this helps with your problem.....ronnie

Pretty simple, really. Blue box Federal ammo. $12-20 a box depending on where you shop.

Thumbs up +2 on 180gr Hi Shok

+2...........or the cheaper 180gr Federal in the blue gray box..Hi Shok SP which is Speer do everything load. I do not suggest the 150gr in Alaska........last year bought them on sale $13.00
    Alaska

Default 06 choice

Try the 180's and also 165's. Firstly I have used the yellow and green core-lokts box brands more often and usually found nice mushroomed expansion's from them on Caribou. While useing the blue box brands I have often only found the copper jackets when dressing out the animals. I have used these with the .308 WIN. as well and seen similiar results when in comparison to the 06. The only other or third choice to offer from my experience is the power points from producers of winchester ammunition and I would give it an edge over the power-shok brand of those blue box's. 1st. core lokts, 2nd power point, 3rd power-shok, based from my own experiences. But it still wouldn't be a bad idea to try some of the fusion ammo as well!

I believe any of the factory fodder such as Federal Fusion, Hornady Custom, Remington Express, or Winchester Super-X in your respective bullet weight range will suffice. If the quarry is Caribou and Black Bear (neither of which are particular difficult to put down) any of these loads will work fine. Can't speak to the accuracy but I think terminal performance will be adequate at moderate range.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I have not used them but I hunt with 3 guys who use rem express 180 grain core lokt and swear by them. I have, however, witnessed the one shot kills on 2 moose and numerous deer. Not the ultimate tack driver bullet but inexpensive, available at corner stores and gas stations, and very effective.

Good luck.

Murphy I am in the same boat-just don't buy factory fodder no more. Did however buy a couple of boxes of Federal 180's over at Sportsmans for 12.00 dollars, 180grn Hi shoks last year for my little godson Gabe. He saves the brass so he can come over an reload some 180 Partitions.

regards,

Federal Hi-Shok or Remington Core Loks are both ok. They do a great job on whitetails.

Ron

Cor-loks are great for availability, but seem softer than the cor-lok of years past. The 165's usually outshoot the 180's in the -06's I have tried. My vote for what you are looking for is the blue box federals in either standard SP's or Hotcor's. They have been very accurate for me and actually chrono at what they are advertised. The hornady custom stuff is pretty good, as is winchester's grey box power-points.

180gr Nosler partition
    Tim

If you cant find any .06 ammo you could always go with .270 and try to get real close

What can't a Remington core loc not kill in this state? I had to buy a box of factory loads once upon a hunting trip, only time in my life I killed with a factory loaded center fire. Perfect on a big old Yukon moose. Course that was a 180 grain in 06. I don't shoot anything lighter in a .30 cal 1 in 10 twist. I still have 19 rounds, do you need them Murph?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I like Federal's fusion. Seems to be better than the basic run of mill, but not as pricey as the premiums. Both 150 and 165 grain is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Yep, Remington Core-Lokt ammo can be found on almost every village store shelf out here in bush Alaska. Mostly 165 and 180 grain PSP, and 220 grain SP ammo. Some of the bigger hub communities may also carry the Premier Core-lokt Ultrabonded 150, 168 and 180 grain ammo. Most everyone uses Core-lokt, at least out here.
    Excellent point about finding Remington Core-Lokt ammo just about anywhere. I have used the 165gr Core-Lokt on Black Bear and it will knock them down and will go out the the other side doing a bang up job.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I shot my black bear with a 180 core-lokt in my 308 winchester @ 250 yards. I expect the same load would work great in the 30-06 for black bear and caribou. I would pick the 165 myself but the 150 may do just as well.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Rem Sciricco 185

Use these all the time, used to be $30box now around $42, good setup

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'm new to shooting and would like to know if.......
    Just kiddin'.

What is a good quality factory ammo for the 30-06 in the 150-165 grain bullet weight,not too expensive, not to "super premium" and not "lght magnum" that would still be an appropriate load for black bear and caribou. I don't buy factory ammo but I want to send a hunter afield with ammo that can be found around the state to hunt and sight in with.
    Why the light weight bullet? Federal makes a premium round with 180 gr Barnes TSX's loaded into them. I would pick that or the NP equivalent. I buy the Barnes, so I can't remember who puts the Noslers in them ...probably Federal as well. I find that the Cor-Lokt bullets expand too much and too rapidly at the .30-06 velocities and tend to blow out the back side of deer-sized animals ...wastes meat. The Barnes works more like a moderately-expanding paper puncher in thin-skinned stuff like caribou, but expands just right in larger tougher animals. I do use 180 gr for everything and it shoots nearly-MOA out of my stock Ruger M77 ...albeit about 1-1/2" higher than the Remington Cor-Lokt stuff does at 100 yards. I'd sight in with cheap stuff, then shoot half a box of the hunting ammo for a final touch on the sighting in. That's been my approach anyway.

Just my 2-bits...

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast