Thread: Cell Phone Range in PWS

Question Cell Phone Range in PWS

I once thought I heard a rumor about a project to enhance cell phone coverage within the sound. But, then I figure, there needs to be power available for cell phone towers. Do they work off of solar, or wind power? Anyway, just thout I would see what you guys know of it.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I saw a recent coverage map from one of the providers (forget which one) and it showed coverage over the majority of PWS. All I could figure was solar power for the tower.

Default pws coverage

i just seen a coverage map of digitel for prince william sound in the fish alaska magazine page 59.covers alot of area. i do not keep phone on while fishing. had a friend talking on phone near lone island, how crappy it is to fish while someone is yelling about something. no phones turned on while fishing. gci coverage sucks in pws. rent a satalite phone for emergencies. i hate phones fishing in a boat is a way to get away from people in general. jeff

Talking PWS cell phones

I use ACS, and with a ext. attenna I get cell service in a good portion of the sound.
    The places I dont get it are Port Wells, west side of Knight, I believe theres a tower on Naked. And although I'm not a big fan of the phone ringing it has come in handy
    to call work and let them know I'm not feeling well and won't be at work the next day.
    Dave

I enjoy calling buddies when I'm at Montague and talking about how good the fishing is and how I'd hate to be them and be at work. Then I turn it off

Talking Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I enjoy calling buddies when I'm at Montague and talking about how good the fishing is and how I'd hate to be them and be at work. Then I turn it off
    Dude. That is cruel & unusual punishment. But while you into it, the new phones send pictures too!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Question Roaming coverage

If there is ACS coverage in the Sound....Wouldn't other cellular phone services (MTA) be able to tap into that system also?

Default Cell Phone in PWS

On Naked Island there is a cell tower that is owned by Copper Valley Telecom. They are run with generators in remote locations like this.

It is a CDMA tower so Alaska DigiTel phones and ACS phones will work. The companies share towers with Copper Valley so there is no additional roaming charge. It will look like you are in your home coverage.

Sorry, ATT and GCI customers no coverage in PWS as there is no GSM tower in sight.

More Bars... not in PWS.

I loose reception at decision point.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have ATT and no bars past Passage canal!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Cell Phone

ACS and Copper Valley have a joint users agreement. I am using ACS with a Digital Antenna, and cable connect amp. I can get coverage as long as I am in sight of Naked Island and up to 75 miles into the Gulf of Alaska off the Cordova tower.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    ACS and Copper Valley have a joint users agreement. I am using ACS with a Digital Antenna, and cable connect amp. I can get coverage as long as I am in sight of Naked Island and up to 75 miles into the Gulf of Alaska off the Cordova tower.
    A couple of questions about cellular amps. They only amplify transmission, correct? So they do not help with receiving calls. An external digital antenna mounted up high will help both, right?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Antenna

My antenna is 8ft above the cab and the cable runs into an amp. I am just guessing it steps up the signal some how. You can get a cable amp or a wireless amp that broad cast the signal all over the boat. I do not have the clearance between my cell phone antenna and my main antenna. Height is important but from what I have been told you can take a weak signal and step it up. All I know is it works great. I am looking at a Wilson wireless for my house because my reception is so bad. It cost around $350.

Default cell coverage

I use a cheap magnetic antenna. It gives me 1 or 2 more bars, but definately makes a difference.
    I get (ACS) service east of Perry, most of Knight Passage, mouth of Main Bay, mouth of Unakwik. I leave my phone off, but it's nice to know I can run out and find service if I have to call in late to work.

Default I am

Hoping ATT will get with it and give me more bars!

I will have to send them a message that reads "except in PWS where your compition has you beat!"

With ATT restarting here who knows.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/