Thread: Bird Ridge conditons

Default Bird Ridge conditons

Anyone been up bird ridge since all the snow? How are condtions?

Thanks

I drove by on Sat. and there was quite a bit of activity down there so there should be some info someplace.

Default Hey Dave! Bird Ridge is....

Doable but late winter conditions. Snow gets very deep and punchy, especiallly after mid-afternoon above the 2,500 foot level. Getting an early start will keep you from punching through in most places. You can work your way up to the 3,500 foot summit if that is your goal. I just wore my mountain running shoes and mini gaitors, but hiking boots and real gaitors would be better. No shirt. Got sunburned! I am going to do again this Sunday...start at 10:00 AM so as to be up and down off the punchy stuff by noon. Sliding down is a blast, and much easier on the knees!

Hope things are going well. Maybe see you out there.

-Chris

We had 38 Boy Scouts hit the summit last Saturday, some of the them only 10 years old. The going was tough in spots, but obviously it was doable . . not that I climbed up there, I didn't leave anything up there the last time I was up that I had to go back and look for . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    We had 38 Boy Scouts hit the summit last Saturday, some of the them only 10 years old.
    I think I have a few of those boy scouts in my classes. They were comparing their sunburns with mine on Monday and sharing stories of their summit conquest. Thanks for taking the boys out! I wish more of my students would do such activities on the weekends.

It was a blast, annual parent/son outing at Bird Creek. We've done it for the past 5 or six years, and the kids always have a great time. As long as we old folks bring a few of the younger dads and lots of vitamin M (Motrin), we're good for the weekend!

Cheers, SH

Younger Dads my butt. That was my 50yr rear carrying the back pack full of gear to the top. Missed you Chris. In any case, I guess we figured out the conditions first hand, great hike.

Dave

You're still a younger Dad compared to me!