Thread: King Salmon Cheeks

Default King Salmon Cheeks

Kings will be in the nets next month. In my part of the state first kings arrive just after the middle of the month. I was wondering if anyone has any recipes for king salmon cheeks? In my opinion they are the best tasting part of a king salmon. Thanks

Smoked is the best way to eat'em.

Default Cheek meat

Thanks for the smoking idea. Do you have any recipes for cooking the king salmon's cheek meat which is about 2 inches in diameter from the center of the cheek. Thanks

Once removed, your choice of method, brine them in a 50/50 mix of salt/brown sugar in the fridge for 12hrs or so. I mix up a batch of salt/brown sugar and put it in a large shaker bottle and sprinkle the cheeks liberaly and place in a glass container and cover. Stirring occassionally. Remove rinse lightly, air dry until the glaze over. Smoke lightly in smoker until desired doneness is achieved. I like them a little "under cooked" that way I can add them to hot steamy rice for a meal, or wrap in 1/2 cooked bacon, skewered w/ toothpick seasoned to taste and grilled for appetizers.