Thread: Quick question - coleman canoe

Default Quick question - coleman canoe

I'm ignorant when it comes to canoes, I need a canoe that I can leave at a cabin, that will take abuse and weather,

I've looked at old towns and others what do the experts think of the coleman for a general purpose kid friendly canoe and what is a decent price?

I am by no means an expert but I have 2 coleman canoes. One is 10 years old and the other is closer to 20. They still work just fine for me. There are many better canoes out there EX: lighter, faster, stronger. But for an inexpensive durable canoe they work great. You can usually find them in the $200-500 range and most often $400 used.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

They work...as in they float...but not an enjoyable canoe for me. They are heavy, they flex (oil can) as they go through the water, they transfer the cold (or heat to be correct), etc. They are inexpensive.

If you want to try one they are rented at Nancy Lakes. Last year they also had an Old Town. You might be able to compare the two if they still have both. The Old Town will be easier to tip...Guess how I know.

I had some friends in Montana that had a Coleman and would loan it out to their other friends. "Stay away from the bridges." Well their friends did not head the words and while on the Yellowstone River they wrapped the canoe around a bridge footing. The owners pulled the alum. parts off, pushed it back into shape, then replaced the alum. parts (new). Good enought to float again. I couldn't do that with my Mad River!

Default Coleman Canoes

Coleman Canoes are the worst I ever fell out of!!!
    Tippy is what they are.....Got rid of mine in a hurry. Oh, really...they are canoes... but I like a 17' with a really wide bottom, some old thing. I gave a $25.00 donation to my neighbor for his planter grade canoe, sandblasted it and glassed it back...all that and wouldn't trade it for a truckload of Colemans.
    Try digging up anything else, but nobody in their right mind would steal your Coleman...
    Mark

Default love the coleman

I have had and used a colman scanoe for many years. I found that the scanoe is wider which makes it less likely to tip. They are inexpensive, and I have found them very user friendly.

Default Big Mac's and Coleman canoes

Just like the old McDonalds restaurant signs used to say..
    " Millions sold"
    the same goes for Coleman canoes..
    " Millions sold"
    8 years ago, they sold coleman 15.5 ft canoes for $299.00
    and that included the paddles and a cartop carrier.
    Now the same canoe (Coleman sold its canoe manufacturing to Pelican of Canada, so the same canoe is now called a Pelican ) without paddles and carrier go for $499.00 new.. at Fred Meyer...
    Better canoes????
    better hamburgers???
    you either like them, or put up with them, or complain about them, but still,, they keep cranking them out...... Millions of customers can't be all wrong...
    They even sale these canoes in Europe. I have customers that come rent canoes from me, that tell me they own a Coleman canoe in Switzerland or Holland etc.. World wide....
    I have a friend from Kasilof that has never ridden in his Coleman canoe, but he uses it all winter long, to haul firewood in... after 20 years of firewood service, its still going strong....
    Tough they are indeed.... and I think his has that oil can problem also
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

There really isn't anything tougher than a Coleman if you are going to abuse it. Mine came from the side of the highway between FBX and Nenana 15 years ago. I posted an ad in the newspaper for a couple weeks and told the police/troopers. After that I figured it was mine. Snowload finally killed it last year because I left it hanging off a trailer unsupported and unshoveled. They handle aweful and they are ugly, but they last a long time and kids can't hurt them. I picked up a Pelican last year that is different than what they sell at Fred's..for $200 at a garage sale. Still tough, still kid proof.

My daughter and I borrowed my neighbors to floaed 15 miles on the Chena last year. About 3 minutes into it, I got scared, but away we went. That will never happen again! I'll spend $1000 on anything else before I spend $100 on a coleman. To tinker in a small lake with a youngun a couple times a year, sure. To trust my life in moving water, no way, not again. Thats just my thoughts, but to each his own.

I have a Pelican (COLEMAN) Scanoe and it is very stable, it's very wide and has a basically a flat bottom with skegs and that seems to make it very stable. I have done a lot of fly fishing in it standing up and haven't got wet yet. I even trusted it with my 3 year old and my golden in it on small lakes. It is very heavy though and would not want to portage it very far and it isn't real fast and easy to paddle as the Old Towns or Mad Rivers. I have a Minn Kota trolling motor for it when I take the whole family on one of the lake out Swanson.

This was a couple years ago and now both are bigger and I have more of them...BOTH - oh and now it is his golden.

the Pics did load the first time apparently.
    Attached Images Attached Images