Thread: Bait Barrels?

Default Bait Barrels?

I've shot bears, but I've never baited for them, until this year. How accessible should I make my bait in a barrel? Hard to get but doable (so they have to work at it)? or easy to get and rebait a lot? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance

Default rip the lid off

A bear will rip the lid off if he wants the food. When he is done ripping the lid off he will smash your can for fun. Make em work for it.

Question What is the answer to the man's question?

Goaty has a great question. I am also new to bear baiting and have wondered the same question posted by Goaty. How accessible should you make the bait? What kind of berrels to use (55 gallon drums or smaller)? Please give us all some help..........

Default Small

I use small, 7 gallon buckets to 30 gallon plastic barrels. I chain the barrel about 18" off of the ground and have just 2-3 1" holes in the bottom. The bears have to play with the barrel a little and the dog food will fall out.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1206892496

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I use 55 gallon drums from the Wonder bread bakery in Anchorage. They are steel with lids. You can cut any size hole you want. I leave sharp edges to see the hair from the bears so I know if a Brown Bear is hitting the bait frequently so I know that I should not waste much time feeding something I can't shoot. Its been a few years since I bought one so I don't know if Wonder Bread even sells those barrels any more.

My theory is that if I re-bait early in the morning I won't end up with night owl bears eating all the donuts and dog food. Thus I won't have to be out there till dark hoping not to run into a late nighter. Don't know for sure if it makes a difference but makes me feel better.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Work

You're gonna work hard to keep food on an active bait station.

Make the bear work to get your food.

If it's easy... it'll be empty more often than full.

Plastic barrels are light - but a cantankerous old bear will make it into a chew toy.
    Steel barrels are heavy - but an onery old bear will drag it wherever he pleases if not secured.

I had a five gallon peanut oil bottle hanging HIGH in the trees, about 8 feet below the branch. Dripping used fried turkey oil
    Never did find that bottle. I think the bear ate it

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I've shot bears, but I've never baited for them, until this year. How accessible should I make my bait in a barrel? Hard to get but doable (so they have to work at it)? or easy to get and rebait a lot? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance

Be prepared to work really hard. Baiting is not easy and takes allot of time. On my barrel I have a small hole so that only there paw can fit. They have to sit there and dig it out. This gives me more time to look over the bear. Also takes a little bit longer for them to clean the barrel out. Once hit I bring 50# dog food up to the bait every 3 days. I also have it chained. Last year my barrel was crushed by a bear pushing down on it. It was made out of metal. Cover the barrel up and place log to force them into one way. I have log/branches placed on one side of the barrel so know the bears have to come in from one side and gives me a nice quartering away shot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bait barrels

I never baited in alaska so I don't know the laws but I did alot of baiting in canada and I would use steel 55 gal drums and I would wrap 2 chains top and bottom all the way around it and weld it to the barrel then around a good size tree and bolt it to the tree which also allows you to position the barrel for a good shot then I would use the bolt on steel lids on the inside I put a baffel tward the bottom which would force the bait to the back of the barrel and they would have to reach way in to get it and the holes are like 3x5 on side tward the bottom so he can get his paw in far enough to reach some bait sometimes the shake the barrel to get bait to drop down I would have the barrel about 18in off the ground then build a V shape with logs to funnel them in!! If I knew how to post pics I would post one of my bait setups!!

AAron

Here is my setup kinda hard to see but I think you can get how I do it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default make them work

I use a metal 55 gallon drum. I cut holes in each end just long enough to feed a chain through so that I can chain it to a tree. The food hole is about 10" square. If I was making a new bait barrel, I'd make it smaller.....say no more than 6".

Lightbulb Beer Keg

I going to use a Beer Keg with a few small holes in the bottom. I've seen too many smashed barrels over the years by brown bears. figured I'd give them a harder challenge