Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300WSM Musings... New Winchester or Kimber?

Default 300WSM Musings... New Winchester or Kimber?

If you were looking for a light weight SS rifle in 300WSM would you go with the Kimber Montana or the new Winchester?

I looked at Winchester's site and I liked the feather weight, but wish it had a synthetic stock... At this point the Kimber seems more proven and they are both in the ballpark price wise..... I really like the 3 position safety of these actions for a backpack type hunt.....

I know there are other options out there, but I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread focussed on the Kimber & Winchester options.

Thanks!

1911-MW:

I wouldn't buy a Kimber. They used to make an outstanding rifle but I have read a lot of reports on other forums of shoty workmanship and poor accuracy. Sometimes a person will get a good one, but it's very inconsistant. I would recomend you doing a search on Kimber or Kimber Montana and check out the reviews. You might also call a few gunsmiths. I read one report where a dealer was sending back half the Kimbers he sold to have problems fixed and that Kimber was not standing behind their product.

Have you considered the new Browning X-bolt, It looks like a real good rifle. They should be on the market real soon. Also, a lot of folks seem to be very happy with their TIKKA and SAKO 300WSM.

Cheers

There was a thread on Kimber vs Tikka in this forum a while back.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27503

Sako M75. (Kimber $$$, Sako Accuracy/Qualiity) Or a new M85 for a couple $$ more.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Understand there are other options, but I have seen few of those Kimbers up close and personal. Other than the forums, no one that I know of that owns one has had any problems... Maybe I don't know enough Kimber owners, but they seem worth the gamble to me.

I was hoping to keep this thread focused on Kimber vs. Winchester.... I am not interested in a Tikka at this point. I don't know much about the Sakos... I want a true Short Action receiver.

I really like the 3 position safety, the idea of not having a drop plate or a magazine, and the stock that comes on the Kimber is almost McMillan style quality. I have looked at buying a SS M70 in 300WSM, putting a new "mountain contour" barrel on it and buying aftermarket "McMillan" or Ti style stock. However, when you do the math the Kimber ends being a pretty darn good package right out of the box.

Whatever route I end up going I plan to make a pretty thorough inspection to catch the visible stuff. I also plan to buy a dummy round I can cycle through action a few times.
    Last edited by 1911-MW; 04-17-2008 at 08:54. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    There was a thread on Kimber vs Tikka in this forum a while back.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27503
    Thanks, I followed this one closely...

I don't own a Kimber but I have spoken with 2 people at the range who do. One just got it back from Kimber, after never firing a round, because it wouldn't feed. Rounds got hung before entering the chamber. He fired 2 rounds and the problem arose again. $1200 and 2 rounds. Wasn't a happy customer. BTW his was a 300 WSM

The other fellow had a 308. After a few range sessions he invited me to take a few shots. I'm happy to do so as I nearly purchased one in 270 WSM but went with the Tikka. I fired one round, questioned the rough trigger, chambered another round and it didn't feel right. It didn't chamber a round. He asked if it did that "again" and I said yes and returned his rifle to him.

These are only 2 examples and I may have run into 2 guys that just had lemons. I really like the look and feel of the Kimber but my next one will be a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM.

Winchester.
    Tennessee

I hear lots of stories too, but my Kimber and the 2 other guys that I know that own them have had no problems. The only way that I can see comparng the new Winchester to the Kimber is by slapping the Win in a McM and then your talking way more money.

[quote=AlaskaCub;251737]I hear lots of stories too, but my Kimber and the 2 other guys that I know that own them have had no problems. The only way that I can see comparng the new Winchester to the Kimber is by slapping the Win in a McM and then your talking way more money.[/quote]

That was my take.... I keep trying to talk myself out of the Kimber but in the package it comes is hard to beat..

I can tell you that when I bought my 300WSM Kimber Montana I had 2 choices, 1) listen the peanut gallery that was full of here say and 2nd hand stories of faulty Kimbers or 2) talk to the guys who actually had one and were tickled pink with it. You can guess which route I took, couldn't be happier!....grin. And there were just as many of these 2nd hand here say horror stories floating around when I bought mine too. I handled all the lightweights even to include a $2000+ NULA (more $$ than I thought neccessary) when I was looking for a lightweight mountain/sheep hunting gun and the Kimber was the winner for me.

Keep an eye out for Gunbroker. You could probably get a 300 WSM stainless classic for about $750 shipped if not less. Then you could throw a lightweight fiber stock on it and still come out less than the Kimber.

I got a 300 WSM Classic Ultimate Shadow Stainless Camo for my wife in 2006. Aside from the magazine only feeding two from the magazine it is a good light rifle. Paid about $690 for it then.(Just for comparison there is a brand new one of these on gunbroker in 270WSM for buy now of $775 also a use classic ultimate shadow stainless in 270wsm with a starting bid of 499 the 300 WSM are more popular but can be found for similair prices). I buy a few guns from gunbroker now and then.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Keep an eye out for Gunbroker. You could probably get a 300 WSM stainless classic for about $750 shipped if not less. Then you could throw a lightweight fiber stock on it and still come out less than the Kimber.

I got a 300 WSM Classic Ultimate Shadow Stainless Camo for my wife in 2006. Aside from the magazine only feeding two from the magazine it is a good light rifle. Paid about $690 for it then.(Just for comparison there is a brand new one of these on gunbroker in 270WSM for buy now of $775 also a use classic ultimate shadow stainless in 270wsm with a starting bid of 499 the 300 WSM are more popular but can be found for similair prices). I buy a few guns from gunbroker now and then.
    Did you change the stock on your wife's? How much does her WSM weigh? Seems like most of the Winchesters I have seen would need a barrell upgrade due to their weight...

Have you seen the Gander Mt Special Remington Guide Guns? Almost perfection, if they came in more calibers and had the 3 position safety.... (Basically a Mt Rifle with a Ti Stock)

Same stock. Her rifle seems to kick less that my 30-06 does. My 30-06 has a HS precision with pachmeyer decelerator on it.

The 300WSM is 8# with sling and scope. I think the factory specs have it at 6 pounds 12 ounces for the rifle alone.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I sold a 300 WSM Winchester Classic stainless & bought a Kimber Montana. Mine wouldn't feed and accuracy with factory ammo was about 1.5" at best. My gunsmith fixed the feeding problem, did a trigger job for about $50 and now it works fine. With handloads it prints about .9", good enough for me. Now that I have the Kimber "tuned in" I realy like it, but factory quality control was a problem.

Thanks! [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    If you were looking for a light weight SS rifle in 300WSM would you go with the Kimber Montana or the new Winchester?

Winchester and lightweight are mutually exclusive in stock trim.

I looked at Winchester's site and I liked the feather weight, but wish it had a synthetic stock... Winchester = $$$$$ to make light. At this point the Kimber seems more proven and they are both in the ballpark price wise..... I really like the 3 position safety of these actions for a backpack type hunt..... I guess you already thunked it out.

I know there are other options out there, but I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread focussed on the Kimber & Winchester options. I start to feel like a broken record on this one, for the money Kimber Montana is without a doubt the quickest way to get into a lightweight rifle. I have owned a total of 8 Kimbers, 7 of them were Montanas. I have had 84s and 8400s (some long action and all 4 WSM versions. Kimbers have with the exception of one 243 been all fine handling and shooting. I don't have a dog in this fight, because I just sold my last Kimber rifle yesterday. No fault of the platform, I just like to shoot em while I'm waiting on custom builds. I go through factory rifles like **** through a goose. Trust me, Kimbers are good rifles. You really ought to seek out some real owners of Kimber rifles, not some internet gurus who speculate based on ignorant internet posts that may have hidden agendas. That being said my next factory rifle might be one of the new Winchesters, just to try one out.

Thanks!

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

...Oh, Totally hear you on wanting that synthetic stock , and 3-pos. safety with the Winchester Featherweight package...(.300 WSM)
    -I had been looking at , and periodically shooting the Kimbers...I REALLY like the KIMBER...the .325 WSM in particular.....BUT-

(please forgive me...)...I just feel compelled to point out the new SAKO A-7....here...just take a look!

-Like the Tikka....but, better priced than the Kimber...and...well-PLEASE just take a look!....Yeah, I know...not the 3-pos safety...-but just check out the .270 WSM and .300 WSM ballistics and price....interesting!

http://www.sakoa7.net/

Tikka.... nice but feels like I would break it. Sako, just about the same, besides not made in the USA. Kimber........ very nice. Quality,,,, can be.
    Model 70....... mmmmmmmmm Springfield barrel........ nice.......mmmmmmmmm very nice......... yeah thats the one........ buy it!Model 70, Extreme Weather SS

Quote {You really ought to seek out some real owners of Kimber rifles, not some internet gurus who speculate based on ignorant internet posts that may have hidden agendas.}

I think this an excellent idea. How about Swisslake, or moses42ak who personally knows a couple of owners and had an experience with a Kimber. Or Martin Sheahan in the other thread?

Internet gurus??? hmmmm... *looking around the internet forum here with the various opinions and wondering who is a guru and who isn't?*

I'm not here to *knock* Kimbers. I've seen a lot of reviews and post on lots of production rifles. And what I've noticed about Kimbers is, some folks are really happy and some folks are not happy. That is a trend of inconsistancy and I personally would not *risk* buying a possible headache. I dont see this trend wiht other rifles? Maybe it's an internet conspiracy? I see very few people unhappy with their Rem, Win, Ruger, Browning, Tikka, Sako, etc. And the happiest campers seem to be the Tikka and Sako owners of which I personally know a few.

Asking owners is a good idea, but IMHO talking to a couple gunsmiths is a better idea. They probably have a better overall feel on the topic.

I was just passing my observations along to 1911-MW and he can sure take it or leave it.

And speaking of hidden agendas, I'm sure Mr Smith's motives are as pure as the driven snow.

1911-MW, whatever you decide I hope it works great for ya.

Good Shootin

This thread generated a lot of good responses. I took a look at the Tikka and Sako... Not sure why but they just don't do it for me.... Don't like the idea of plastic parts or magazines...

The Kimber Montana Package is hard to beat.... I like having a true short action, a blind magazine, and the ability to lock the bolt down when humping through brush and crawling across rocks. Better yet the whole package is nice and light, yet the stock is designed in a manner that manages recoil... I could build a similar package out of a similar action, but the price increases signifcantly...

I agree that checking with a Gunsmith is a wise step. There has to be a few smiths that check this site out....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast