Thread: Sea Tow?

Default Sea Tow?

Have any of you folks signed up w/ Sea Tow marine assistance network? I only see one supplier of these services and he's down in Seldovia. With such limited coverage, it's probably not worth it but if anyone has actually used Sea Tow's services I'd really like to hear your opinion of the organization. Thanks.

Dave

Default Charges

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    Have any of you folks signed up w/ Sea Tow marine assistance network? I only see one supplier of these services and he's down in Seldovia. With such limited coverage, it's probably not worth it but if anyone has actually used Sea Tow's services I'd really like to hear your opinion of the organization. Thanks.

Dave
    I wonder what he charges?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Sirrus radio, Sea tow, Vessel assest, and white sandy beaches, are only available in the states I believe. Unless they do have someone up here from Sea tow, your looking at your fellow boaters, and hopefully you won't need the CG.

If you're in Kachemak Bay area, I'd see signing up with Sea Tow as a benefit. Not sure how far north (ie. Anchor Point/Deep Creek) he serves, as he is based out of Seldovia.

My buddy had engine problems last summer and used Sea Tow to get back to Homer. Cost him close to $600 as he was not a subscriber to the service. He was going to, but never got around to it. Anyway, I think the annual membership was something like $150. Had he of signed up, the tow would not have cost anything above the membership price.

I haven't looked at the SeaTow package, but when I worked for Vessel Assist in San Francisco Bay, their package covered anywhere and by any service, even freshwater. Just had to pay the "otherguys" to tow or service upfront and send in the receipt for reimbursement. I'm not sure what it is now, but when I worked, it was $125 an hour from the time the Vessel Assist Boat left the dock to the time the Vessel Assist Boat returned to the dock. Then add another $25 an hour for at night, and another $25 in crappy weather and another $25 for beyond a certain mileage away from the bay. Having some tows take a long time and not members, that is a good chunk of change. With one tow as a member, it will pay for itself at least twice. I know as soon as I get my boat, I will be joining up. $125 a year or so, that is the least of my worries after I don't know how many bucks for fuel, bait, fishing gear and other boat gear.

Default check again

They were at the Outdoor show this year... I was not that interested but as I walked by I heard her say they had contracts in all the major ports.. Whittier, Seward, Homer...

Sorry I did not keep the pamphlet but it might be worth some phone calls.

Default I happen to have that flyer

I spoke with the Seatow rep at the Anchorage sportsman show. They offer services in cook inlet only at this time. If you purchase their insurance ($149 per year) and get stranded out of Seward/Whittier, they will reimburse up to $5,000. I was told that the average cost per hour for a sea tow is $250 from the time the boat leaves the harbor until it returns. I have boat insurance through progressive ($139 per year) and they reimburse up to $2500. Sounds like a good deal to me. I plan on purchasing Seatow insurance prior to going out. Their wesite is www.seatow.com. The name and phone number on the back of the flyer is Capt. Dave Cloninger, Seldovia, 907-234-0100. Definately worth calling and asking questions.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Yeah, I talked to them last year at the sportsman's show. Pretty much what Kammer said.

Default Sea Tow

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will call the Seldovia Capt. to get all the details.

Dave

Thumbs up alternatives to sea-tow...

a few of the water taxis in homer have commercial assist tow endorsements. i know at least one of Mako's skippers does.
    it is always worth your while to call around and see if you can get a better price.
    i have been looking into the hoop-jumping required, and i may have a tow endorsement this summer, if i pony up the bucks and make a trip to anchor-town. <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/