Thread: What is your favorite grip for 44 magnum, 500, 454 etc.?

Default What is your favorite grip for 44 magnum, 500, 454 etc.?

What is your favorite grip for 44 magnum, 500, 454 etc.?

Grip as in how you hold the handgun or the model of grip?

Modified Weaver with thumbs alongside each other in the one case and Houge Mono in the other.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default re

I meant wood, pachmeyer, hogue, etc.

My favorites are the factory grips on the Tracker and raging bull Taurus's.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The Hogue 'Tamer' with interior sorbothane strip ...originally designed for the SRH Alaskan series of guns. I believe the grip on my S&W 500 is the same thing as well. Short of getting a custom grip made to fit your own hand, I think this is the best grip ...it's larger than most stock grips (fills your hand better) and absorbs recoil very well too.

Brian

Default Grips

Hi Raingull;
    I have the Single Action Mod 83 and frame style of coarse makes a difference.
    I made a set of Micarta ones for my Casull, you know the light brown stuff? Canvas in epoxy, really. I didn't care for rubber Pachmeyers doing a burn out in my hand, the black plastic ones a bit slick. My first Premier had the wood, not too bad once I scraped the varnish off. I want some grip, but not too much as that pistol is gonna move. It is to my understanding Sam Colt wanted his pistols to slip a bit to help soak up some recoil energy.
    Anyhow I am pleased with the Micarta so far and immediately noticed the grip actually gets better when wet...no slippery fish.

African blackwood, black Micarta, smooth and un checkered ......maybe Rosewood, Coca Bola, or desert Ironwood.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Snowshooze, You're right about frame design making a difference. I sure favor nice wood, but with the Ruger Alaskan it's hard to imagine going with anything but the hogue. I'm sorta a one in, one out guy. I told my wife the only way I'll ever own all the firearms I want is to do it one at a time. Right now that means the beautiful cocobola grips left 3 swaps ago (though admittedly they were on an 9mm), and the Hogue are here to stay (likely for good, though who knows?).

Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I think the stock grips on my 500 are good recoil tamers, yet ugly. They are like a good pair of rubber boots. Not pretty, but they work. I don't think I'd like shooting it too much if it had a beautiful pair of wood grips on it. Ouch!

On my 1911 45acp I put micarta grips on it in place of the wood grips. Mostly just to make the gun a little more unique. My snubby carries laser grips. Again, kinda ugly yet functional.

Hogue and Pachmayr both make grips for the big bore wheelguns..... I generally prefer Hogue. I have their grips on three of my guns, and I sell both brands. I would use them on my other autos as well, but they don't have detachable grip panels.

The finger-grooved models are great; I had Hogue's flat panels (similar to the one on the P229 in the photo) on the P220 and swapped them out with the grooved ones about a month ago.... I am now putting them on the 229 as well. I thought they may be too big, but on the gun they fit my hand perfectly. My wife even likes them so much they're going on her 229.

The finger grooves are a bit low for single-action use on the Redhawk, but that's the nature of the beast.

Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

This is a useful thread, now let's see if it can be useful for me!

Ruger Super Blackhawk stocks. The factory stocks are too small for me, but the aftermarket stocks I've tried, Hogue & Pachmeyer, are too big! Does anyone know of some stocks that fit in between?

For larger caliber double action revolvers I prefer the Jordan Troopers from Herrett. I also like the Super Redhawk/GP-100 factory grips and the Pachmayr presentation models.

For double action revolvers that are carried concealed, I prefer the Herrett Shooting Stars.

I prefer the Ruger Bisley in single action, and the factory grips are comfortable for me.

The Hogue rubber grips are uncomfortable for me, particularly the "Tamer" series, but to each his own.

I'm a fan of relatively trim, unchecked wood grips on the hard kickers. Maybe it's just the way my hand is, but I find it hurts less if it can slide and roll a bit. The rubber hogue type grips produce more friction on the palm of my hand with no noticable benefit for me in the .44 mag class guns.

My preference is single action style frames for heavy recoil, but I don't have any problem with simple wood panels on a 629 or Redhawk. I liked the stock wood grips on the 329PD too. Obviously, it varies with hand size/type etc, but even with my fairly big hands I find the slimmer grips faster to grab and aim.

Yk