Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bait out allready...

Default bait out allready...

im probably early, but my stand is up and my bait is out...anyone else
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

I would think about it if I could even get to my site..........maybe in June the way the weather is going.......

Were 30 days from the earliest I have ever had bears on my baits in the interior, mid may. Aint no way I am wasting gas this early, probably wont put bait out for another 3-4 weeks.

Default Good idea

The birds will enjoy the food you put out for them for the next month.

Fuse

Default wow...

nevermind i guess...i wish i was as smart as you guys

They are correct...last year I didnt get hit until May 16th. Bait will go in last week in April or 1st week in May.

Default yah i kinda figured...

i was early, but the hard work is done barrels and stands up...ill sure miss the 11 bucks i spent on dog food though Fuse

I wish I could use bait

I'll put my bait out this weekend. Was going to do it on opener, but my schedule didn't align with my partner. I had bear activity the first week of May.

Smile

y2: There have been two sightings of sows with cubs in neighborhoods already down here on the Kenai even though we are still getting snow. If you get one out early it will have an amazing coat. good luck!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

My buddies up north said they were gonna start putting it out on the 15th. First week of may we always have a bear on the ground.

Good news though is that my wife already had 2 bears turned in. I know one was out of the glenallen area.

Default This weekend

Funny thing about baiting.

Put the bait out too early... what does it hurt? Especially since most of it is dry, donuts, etc.
    Feed a few extra squirrels, martins, and birds.

If the bears wake up earlier than in the past... hmmm... you got bait.

Does it save gas to put your bait in later? One way or another, you gotta drive to the station and put bait on it... that's a trip; probably a trip that will not produce a bear.

So, I'll throw out some stuff this weekend, and check it again sometime in early May.

I figure on putting mine out as soon as I get home. If I was home it would already be out.

I use to put it out this early but realized that the bears in the area I hunted in would not hit the bait until the last week of May.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'll be a week or so behind you Y2Kadle.
    My schedule probably won't allow me to get out this week, but next week I'll be hauling stuff out & getting it set up. I've neverhad tracks in the area until close to mother's day, but I enjoy going out & checking!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I use to put it out this early but realized that the bears in the area I hunted in would not hit the bait until the last week of May.
    The last two bears we took in the Interior came on June 15th and June 25th. They initially hit the bait around June 6th. I wasted many trips and lots of fuel.
    Cub is right, with gas so ridiculous, timing is everything this year.

Its almost beneficial to get the satelite trail cam so you dont have to go and check your stand. Just check the computer while your drinking a beer.....

It's -4 in downtown FBKS right now, supposed to start warming up tomorrow and "stay" warm...whatever that means this year. The last two years we've killed 3 bears on Memorial Day weekend, but never get bait out until the first or second week in May due to snow and mud.

Default Y2

Good job! I wish I had mine out. We are way behind the past few years here too. I will get mine out the first weekend in May. Usually I see bear sign by May 1. We had bears early last year, but think it will surely be late this year if it stays as cool as its been. I would still have to snowmachine into my stands! I used to be that May 20-25 was AWESOME, but the last few years it was May 10-15. We will see how things turn out! I am hoping a bit later as the hides really went bad fast last year, so maybe we will have a spring with some cooler temps.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    The last two bears we took in the Interior came on June 15th and June 25th. They initially hit the bait around June 6th. I wasted many trips and lots of fuel.
    Cub is right, with gas so ridiculous, timing is everything this year.
    Yup and after the incident I had last year with the guy that was baiting nearby I am baiting in a new place this year and I can confirm as of now that I'd surely need a snowmachine to get where I am going. Just dont see the use in it, it'll cost me about $130 for each trip to the bait and back in fuel (truck and quad). I am gonna make that trip as few a times as possible. Still winter here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast