Thread: .45 SAA Colt Peacemaker

Default .45 SAA Colt Peacemaker

Due to the responses to pop can defense loads for my 454, I am now getting interested in buying a Peacemaker. ( Buy another gun? Unthinkable...) Not many listed in our swap-n-sell, and I could live with a beat up one so long as it shoots well. I can't afford the pretty one.
    But I am wondering, can you do good work with the old fixed sights?
    Looks like the Colts weigh about half as much, and as much as I like my Casull, I bet I would love shooting the old Colt.
    Looking at Blackhawks too, but the Colt appeals. I would probably lose hide on the blackhawk sight if I tried to fan it. Bear in mind his would be a recreational pistol for plinking and the Casull still does the serious stuff...
    Is there anything I should look out for?
    Thanks for the responses to my inquiries in here, a great crowd!
    Mark

Just don't try fanning the casull! You'd get an automatic twirl with every shot and much worse. Add some ivory grips and sing a few Roy Rodgers tunes...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I would really love a peacemaker too. The wife wants one or a Blackhawk. She really likes the new model Blackhawk:

Have you asked around the Firing Line? A lot of Colt fans on there.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

this was just posted in swap and sell-http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?p=251739#post251739
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Fanning is extremely hard on a pistol. I hope you were joking about fanning. Shooting two handed thumbing back the hammer with the left thumb is very fast and much more accurate.

The Colts can do very good work with the fixed sights, if your eyes are good. The edges usually arent as sharp as most adjustable sights, they are a little thinner, and are harder to see clearly. The new and older Ruger Vaqueros have fixed sights, the newer version is a little smaller and lighter, if that's attractive about the Colts. The fixed sights sometimes don't shoot right to point of aim, elevation and windage. They can be tuned with load development or filing the sights or bending the front sight or turning the barrel. Adjustable sights are a litle easier to get to hit point of aim with the load of your choice (not the guns load of choice).