Thread: Liberty Falls?

Default Liberty Falls?

Coming from Missouri to the most special place on earth in mid-May to do some hiking and fishing. Liked to camp at Liberty Falls in the past, but have heard that it is not in good shape (flood last winter)? Does anyone know if it is open and or if not, can I hike in to see it? If I can't stay there, does anyone know a good place to camp near Chitina that isn't filled with people and is pretty? Thanks for the help. Emmerson

Wish I could help, but couldn't resist posting. Where in MO? I just moved from there in Sept. lived there for about 20 years in Columbia and Lake of the Ozarks areas. Lived in Colorado and Northern California growing up, this place is on a totally different level.

Default MO to AK

I live in Kansas City. Have been here for about 22 years, though I spent time here when I was young too. I have spent a lot of time in Columbia, and my folks have a wonderful log cabin in an undeveloped part of the Lake of the Ozarks. Tell me more about your move as I have thought about moving there myself. How do you like it (having been through your first winter) and would you do it again? I'm about to be a single mom, so that is changing my thinking some... have looked for a job up there from time to time. I do marketing, brand management and strategic planning for small to mid-sized companies (after 20 years in senior leadership at Hallmark).

We stopped by there last August and it was still closed. The campground bridge washed out on one side and as far as I know it hasn't been fixed yet. When we stopped by, the campground was closed off but you could still park by the main road and walk down to the falls. Liberty falls was the only campground around Chitina that I've stayed at, they do have a nice little hotel there now though. If you're interested in driving a ways further past Chitina, McCarthy has lots of camping spots and is a pretty neat place to visit if you haven't already.

Default McCarthy?

Thanks for the update. We've not been to McCarthy but would happily head there for a great place to camp.... I'll be with my 70+ year old parents at that point during my trip so we're not into roughing it much, but love to stay in secluded, wooded type spaces or near the falls and streams (which made Liberty Falls perfect because I could hike during the day and they were happy in the campground. I will rough it later on in the trip.) We don't mind the drive at all, we'll head anywhere there is a nice space to stay (not into hotels though). Any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated!

There is a campground just outside of Chitina on the other side of the Copper River just past the bridge, but it is usually more crowded with dipnetters than Liberty was. McCarthy is about 60 or so miles past Chitina on an unpaved road that can be quite bumpy depending on when it was last graded, you usually can't go much past 30 mph if you care about your vehicle. If your parents are up for the drive, I'd highly recommend visiting there. It's a neat place with lots of old mining ruins, plenty of trails, and some great scenery to check out.

Default Place in McCarthy to stay?

Thanks very much for the advice. Sounds like we'll plan to head through to McCarthy and stay there. I like to get my folks settled at the campground and then find trails and head off on my own. Do you have a suggested place to stay in McCarthy by chance? Would seem a shame to drive all the way to McCarthy and then have to come back to Chitina to camp (and would cut down on the hiking time)!

You've been really helpful, thanks so very much (hard to do all of this planning from the belly button of the US!) Getting excited about coming... wish it were tomorrow. Emmerson

Its been several years since I've been there so I'm not up to date on the current campgrounds, we used to just camp next to the river right outside of McCarthy, now there are several private campgrounds in the area. You can't quite drive in to McCarthy proper, as there's a river right next to town that you can't cross with a vehicle. They used to have a neat hand powered tram that you used to cross the river to get to town, now there is a foot bridge which is more convenient, but not as fun. After you cross the river, its a short walk into McCarthy. Kennicott (the mining ruins) is a few miles away but there are shuttles that can take you there from McCarthy.

Here are some sites I dug up with info on McCarthy:
    http://www.mccarthy-kennicott.com/
    http://www.mccarthy-kennicott.com/vg/index.html
    http://www.alaskagold.com/copper/mcarthy/mcarthy.html

As has been stated, Liberty Falls was still closed off late last summer. The floods really got to it good. I'm hoping they get to it this spring but not heard anything about it. So you guys from Lake of the Ozarks...What part? I'm from Camdenton and spent some time in Springfield. Fishkill, we'll have to get together some time and talk about all the wasted time we spent in MO!!
    EricL

Default Small world

Our 100+ year old restored log cabin is half way between Camdenton and Gravois... small world isn't it?!

Thumbs down Liberty Falls is closed for Good

The Ahtna Native Corporation discovered that the state survey of Liberty falls was on Ahtna land and closed it.
    They felt that if somebody was injured that they would be financially liable.
    No word yet if they want to open it up as their own RV site /Camp site but that is probably coming.

The trail that goes Behind Liberty falls was rejected as a 17.b access as was the five mile/Nagengast mine road. All are declared as Ahtna land and are private property preventing even shareholder access without permits.

I am sorry to pass this along.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Copper River campsite

If you want to camp in the Chitina area there is a campsite just across the Copper River bridge on the right hand side of the road - tables, outhouses.

That's about your only option in Chitina.

Greg

Guided Alaskan Backpacking Adventures

Author of Hiking Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
    published by Falcon Guides

Default Oh......

Thomas, thanks so much for the information. I have to say, we've had some special times there and when life is stressful, I slow myself down and think about going back and the fact that those beautiful falls are there if I ever need them so this is very sad news indeed. Well, memories will have to serve and I'll just have to have the luck this trip to find new places to quell the spirit when times are rough. Very much appreciate your report. Best regards, Emmerson

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    The Ahtna Native Corporation discovered that the state survey of Liberty falls was on Ahtna land and closed it.
    They felt that if somebody was injured that they would be financially liable.
    No word yet if they want to open it up as their own RV site /Camp site but that is probably coming.

The trail that goes Behind Liberty falls was rejected as a 17.b access as was the five mile/Nagengast mine road. All are declared as Ahtna land and are private property preventing even shareholder access without permits.

I am sorry to pass this along.

Sincerely,

Thomas