Thread: has anyone here ever boated up the kantishna?

Default has anyone here ever boated up the kantishna?

Im trying to find out what boating conditions are like on the kantishna and its tributary the bear paw river. The state has opened up the area to remote staking and im wondering what size of a kraft could u get into the bearpaw river. Also dose anyone know weather east twin lake in the same region is Boat accessible? Or how about snow machine access do you think that would be viable?

It's been over 15 years since I have been in the area, but I have boated all the way to the Bearpaw area. We boated out of Nenana and it was a longggg dang ride. Take the map miles and times it by two...the Kantishna is a curvy son of a gun. We did it in a 18' flatbottom boat, 50hp Merc prop and lots of gas. I don't recall how long it took, but it was most of a day.

East Twin Lake is not boat accessable.

There used to be a snowmobile trail heading west from the same area as the Rex trail heads east. I have no idea if it's still around.

hey thanks, The snow machine trail is on my map but I was wondering if it was even still there or if it is how used it is. What exactly is bear paw like? is it just a abandoned mining camp? My map shows it like its some sort of small settlement with a few scattered cabins. Im just trying to figure out if we did build a cabin in the area the best way to haul in building materials.

Default Kantishna

Went up as far as Bear Paw about 5 years ago in the fall moose hunting from Nenana. We made the trip in two days and back in two days (two boats). Prior, my buddy did a fuel stash run to the mouth of the Kantishna. It was a fantastic trip, albiet long. We both have heavy Graylings and ran props.

Aside from what AKDoug says (I agree with all he says):

• The confluence of the Tolovana with the Tanana was a tough navigate. We both got stuck and never did find a channel on the way back.
    • To get through the mouth of the Kantishna we had to run the Tanana downstream about a 1/2 mile, cross over, and ran the mouth parallel to the south bank.
    • Plenty of water in the Kantishna if you're in the channel. Watch the course and cut banks or you'll get into trouble.
    • Awesomne pike fishing.
    • Lots of swamps.
    • Take lots of fuel.

seems to me like it is the type of river that a map is for more of a general reference and that this is one of those rivers that changes its course a lot from year to year.
    What kind of boat would you recommend for this river that could haul construction supplies in?

The post above has jostled my memory a bit. We went in June when the water was high. Didn't have the issues mentioned above and definately made great time. A day in June is about 16 hours long..LOL..