Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting tips and tactics

Default Moose Hunting tips and tactics

I recently drew a moose tag in Alaska an am planning my first moose hunt. Because this is my first time hunting moose am am looking for books and/or videos on moose hunting in Alaska. If anyone could recommend some, I would greatly appreciate it.

Love, Thunder and Bull (and vol. 2) is a great moose hunting DVD that will introduce you to basic moose calling techniques. It is often recommended as a must-see for prospective moose hunters.

There are also lots of books and other videos in our store here. Folks may be able to give better suggestions if you tell us how/where you're planning to hunt. If you'll be float hunting, Michael Strahan's new float hunting book would be a great option. If doing a drop hunt, other books would be more appropriate. Moose hunting tactics can vary greatly from place to place.

To add a little more information about our hunt, my brother and I drew permits in DM892, which is north of the Koyukuk Controlled Use Area. We will be hunting the last two weeks of the season (September 15-25) and we are planning a drop hunt. I'm glad you mentioned Love, Thunder and Bull, because I have already purchased this set of DVDs.

Default Love, Thunder & Bull

Good videos. I know I learned a bunch.
    Have fun!
    Most importantly, be sure to deal with Alaska! It's gunna rain. It's gunna be sunny. It's probably going to snow. There'll be wind.
    Prepared for that you're bound to have a great hunt! Heck you might even see a moose!

Have you scheduled your air charter yet? If not I wouldn't wait!

Since you'll be hunting the rut (you lucky dogs :-) )I would also recomend the 4 DVD "Moose Madness" series by Alex Guthro. It's not entertaining. As a matter of fact it's down right slow at times. The only moose they kill are on the last part of the last DVD so it's not a slam fest. BUT, if you can be patient & sit thru the guys dry style, there is more information on biology & late season tactics there than I have seen anywhere else. I need to watch it about 10 more times because I know I missed a LOT the 1st time. It's also about $100 for the 4 dvd set, but I think that considering the price of your hunt you'll find it a very wise investment.
    Also, if you haven't seen it the "Is This Moose Legal" & "Field Care Of Big Game Meat", both from AK. DF&G are absolute musts in my opinion. I know they are available from the AK DF & G, & possibly elsewhere. The meat care video deals specifically with the best method of fiels dressing a moose & will save you LOTS of work.
    Good luck!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Moose calling.....

At that place and time of year you should be able to call one in. Practice calling and believe it works. It may take a couple of days for one to come to the calls. Watch the wind and try not to shoot one to far from camp! Know that you are in big moose country and do not get discouraged. They can show up at any time of the day so keep your eyes open. Good hunting to you, have fun and a safe trip.

I'm curious about how you plan on accessing the area, and also what kind of hunt you plan on doing (drop/float/jetboat). A friend of mine drew that tag last year and did well (two guys actually) a 58" and I believe a 63" or 64". Like LuJon said, if your planning on flying in you better get on it yesterday. There's only one air service out of Galena these days, he books up early and is not cheap.
    Good Luck

Default Should you see moose...

in particular, cows, employ calling techniques that will draw out a bull, but if you don't see any moose, then all the calling you do could be for naught, especially if you don't see any moose signs...Spotting & Stalking is an effective technique, bring a paddle or two or a buddy to carry them for you as a "decoy" moose, & the bull will pretty either stay around for the challenge, or run away like a lil' chruch mouse, but either way, once you spot a bull, mind the wind! they love to circle around as well should they not know what they see, to get a whiff of what's tracking them.

Moose aren't too stationary, but with that said, I've observed moose (cows) staying & eating for HOURS! in one spot, I've never tried tree stand hunting but I am sure that it would work, should you find nice sign & plenty of browse, & use calling techniques (grunts, mews, thrashing, wails, water dumping etc) to draw out the stubborn bulls.

& Bring a friend or two, because, there's literally TONS of meat on a moose...
    Last edited by gogoalie; 04-19-2008 at 13:44. Reason: Addition

We are flying in and all of our flights have been set up already. I guess I shouldn't have said that I am planning this hunt, It has been in the works for over a year. Now I just have to learn how to find moose. Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like calling will be the best tactic for that time of year. I also talked to Alex Guthro on the phone and ended up ordering his DVD set, Moose Madness.

Default Finding Moose

If you're in good country and can stay patient, moose will often find you. If you have access to ridgetops where you're hunting, get comfy on a ridgetop where you have good views of the surrounding country, and glass for hours...let your eyes do the walking instead of your legs! You'll spread less scent this way, and can still cover miles of countrty with good optics.

Don't throw away the mid-day hours....I've seen quite a few moose during the day, they don't follow the book on moving only during the early morning and late evening. It's possible they might move MORE at those times, but near/during the rut all bets are off.

Make sure to get the ADF&G DVD on field dressing big game, if you've never shot/field dressed a moose - it's WAY bigger than other North American animals, and can take 2-4 hours for a couple of guys to fully field dress, quarter, and bag up the meat.

If you're fortunate enough to get one, make sure to have some fresh backstrap in camp to celebrate your success - nothing like fresh backstrap cooked in camp!

Finally, enjoy the time in the bush, nothing compares tio hunting remote Alaska in my opinion for beauty, peace, and wildlife you might see.

Hunt Alaska Now is a great book..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Another excellent book is by Christopher Batin called Hunting In Alaska a Comprehensive Guide. Good luck and show us some pics when you get back.

CubeCove

2 principles will put more moose in the cross hairs than any others.

1) Walk less call more.
    2) You can never do to much off season scoutting. Since your coming up blind knowing your critter will have too substitute.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default dvd's and book

I recently bought two dvd's and a book and all are great. I bought Dennis Confers Hunt Alaska book and it is really good. Lots of good info. The two dvd's I bought are Moose Mania and also Jim Shockeys Land of the Giants 2. I have never gone moose hunting yet but am hoping for fall 2009 and after watching these I will go crazy waiting! Hope this helps.

Default same permit drawn

My buddy and I have drawn the same permit. Have you finalized all of your arrangements? We will be arriving a couple of days prior to the dates you mentioned in your post. Hope we all have great hunts! But hey--how can an Alaskan Moose hunt not be great!! Hunt of a lifetime for me!

Default +1

On all advice so far. Find a area with some sign, sit tight and watch all hours of the day, get your calling routine right and they'll show. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    2 principles will put more moose in the cross hairs than any others.

1) Walk less call more.
    2) You can never do to much off season scoutting. Since your coming up blind knowing your critter will have too substitute.

DEAD ON Rick

If you do those two things you will get a moose.

Default Alaska Meat Care 101

Meat care is a legal requirement. I've been planning my first hunt all year. Meat care and transport has been a semester of its own. A chapter from this website's magazine section is a good place to start:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/meatcare.htm

Like AkTroutbum said above, some arrangements if not made in advance, are a formula for problems/failure. Good luck with your hunt.

If hunting in a 50/4 area there is NO WAY you can spend TOO much time reading about and honing the skill of determing what 50 looks like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast