Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming the boat

Default Naming the boat

I have a brand new 26' hewescraft that will be delivered the end of May. I want or need to name it, is there anything I need to do special like registering the name and who does this semi local. Does anyone have a general price on this as well. Thanks T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Just pick one

You will find out soon enough if someone else has it. Also search this site as i think nthere was a thread last year on boat names or call signs.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Just remember TRIPLE THREAT is taken
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

WE are in the 'same boat' so to speak. As I understand it when you register your boat to get your numbers you give them your boats name. I am pretty sure if it is taken they will let ya know. That is my understanding. I'll tell ya what we picked after we're registered!

I have seen several cases of boat names being used time and again. "Solitude" comes t mind, seen it several times.
    Might I suggest HalFast

Okay on another thread Akfun informs me that I don't have to name my recreational boat, that it is not mandatory, but that I need to have the registration number and know it. So guess our name will remain a mystery! And we won't bother slapping paint or sticking stickers all over.

Default Gotta name your boat

otherwise it is bag mojo. Mine is slaughterhouse. A guy a know out of state has Carcus Club or his name, he said anyone can use it up here. Not sure how Carcus is really spelled but I like it.

plus your boat name is usually your call name, just do it man. Otherwise you will get skunked alot

Wink Naming a boat

A friend ran a "naming contest" when he bought a new boat. He asked friends relatives and acquaintances to suggest 3 names.
    The winner got a free fishing trip.

I have the name that we want, i just did not know what i needed to do. I guess dewy cook gets it registered for me as part of the purchase. Is there a way to go on-line and find out if a name is already used?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

sweepint try this link for some of the info you are looking for.
    http://www.alaskaboatingsafety.org/
    hope this helps.jeff

If The Boat Is A Documented Vessel It Is Given A Name And That Is Required To Be Placed On Front ( Both Sides) And Back Of Boat In Back, Home Port Is Also Displayed My Understanding Is That Can Be Main Port You Travel From Or Your Home Town. If Not Documented Vessel As Most Smaller Boats Are. They Are Required To Be Registered In Your Home State , Here It Is Through Dmv And The Will Assign The " Ak " Number. Any Name Can Be Given To It, To My Knowledge, For An "ak " Boat The Name Is Not Registered . I Do Not Recall The State Form Asking For A Name On The Registration Paperwork.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Boat Names

Google boat names and you will find sites with long lists of boat names. BoatUS is one of them. "Last Cast" is also taken.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Regisitration

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    If The Boat Is A Documented Vessel It Is Given A Name And That Is Required To Be Placed On Front ( Both Sides) And Back Of Boat In Back, Home Port Is Also Displayed My Understanding Is That Can Be Main Port You Travel From Or Your Home Town. If Not Documented Vessel As Most Smaller Boats Are. They Are Required To Be Registered In Your Home State , Here It Is Through Dmv And The Will Assign The " Ak " Number. Any Name Can Be Given To It, To My Knowledge, For An "ak " Boat The Name Is Not Registered . I Do Not Recall The State Form Asking For A Name On The Registration Paperwork.
    I think there is a place when you regisiter your boat to enter the name of the boat. Could be wrong, then again it could be mad cow!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Champagne must be used, that's the important part, some for the boat and some for you, a little more for the boat, a little more for you, and so on...

With regard to US documented vessels, I believe the requirement for recreational vessels is that the name and hailing port be marked in only one location--most often the stern. For commercial vessels, the name must also be marked on the port and stbd bow.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    Nimrod is spot on. My boat is a documented vessel so it does not have an AK number. I hate the look of those numbers. If it is documented, you musts carry the documentation on board at all times. If you are looking for a graphics guy, contacl warning lites of alaska the did mine for around $250. It inlcuded all the places Nimrod stated plus up on the brow. Very well done.

http://www.warninglitesofalaska.com/lights.htm
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Nimrod is spot on. My boat is a documented vessel so it does not have an AK number. I hate the look of those numbers. If it is documented, you musts carry the documentation on board at all times. If you are looking for a graphics guy, contacl warning lites of alaska the did mine for around $250. It inlcuded all the places Nimrod stated plus up on the brow. Very well done.

http://www.warninglitesofalaska.com/lights.htm
    Are there any size restrictions around doing it as a documented vessel that you know of? Was that any less/more hassle than the normal DMV gig?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Are there any size restrictions around doing it as a documented vessel that you know of? Was that any less/more hassle than the normal DMV gig?
    This part of the deal through my financing and I believe that it is based upon gross tonnage. I could be wrong, though. No hassle at all and no AK numbers on the boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Smile

Boats do not have titles in Alaska, its easy to get your numbers at DMV. 3 inch is the height requirement, need the numbers off the hull to register it. Don't forget that book you must have on board if your boat is over 40 something in length! I hear the fine is around $2500 for not having it on board. My boat is named after my fathers charter boat, "Buccaneer 2", I wanted "Buccaneer jr.", but that got laughed at more than this one.

Default Documentation

do you know ebsite to look at. This sounds interesting. What would be the advantages of documenting vs DMV?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast