Thread: Salmon skin, anyone?

Talking Salmon skin, anyone?

Recently another poster mentioned the sheer delightfulness of salmon skin as an invigorating adventure in "haute cuisine".
    My experiences with this delicious yet under appreciated tidbit have prompted me to share this delightful recipe of my own invention.
    Upon the event of being lucky enough to harvest one of Alaska's spectacular feeder kings, use a brush or hose to delicately remove the dime bright scales from your eye-catching quarry. A truly bright king fresh from the water is a sumptuous repast for the eyes, and the scales , like pressed silver flakes, will wash freely off the body with the slightest water pressure.
    Now, the important details...fillet the fish as you normally would,and, being careful not to damage the skin, remove it by laying it on your table and using your knife to separate it, as a sheet of finest precious metal.
    And then, the "piece de resistance".. basting the luscious skin.... rich in omega 3 oils, I might add!... with japanese tare' sauce (easily made by boiling down one's scraps of unagi for 20 hours into a rich a delectable sauce the like of which is indescribable) as it cooks on the hibachi on the porch of your accommodations.
    Cooked to a crisp and served in a temaki roll with fresh shiso leaf and radish sprouts this is a gustatory encore worthy of the effort put into it's procuration!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave, I really like the way you write about cooking wild fish and game. All those fancy adjectives and such...those French words...just gets me tingling with cooking excitement. Surely you are a man to be admired for your vast amount of knowledge of haute cuisine!

Btw, we leave the skin on the kings we jar up and it is fine eating out of the jar too.
    Cheers,

I've always enjoyed crispy salmon and trout skin, after cooking the fillets on the grill I remove the meat and leave the skin on for a couple of minutes then I break up the sheet of skin and dip in an oyster sauce thinned out with a good shake or two of soy sauce. Crispy trout skin and tails fresh out of the skillet is good too...........Great appetizer for me and my oldest son, the rest of the family won't touch it

Default good stuff

I'm the only one in the family that will eat the skin. My wife thinks it is disgusting, and she managed to turn the kids off of it as well. That just means more for me.

Default Crisping the skin...

may damage the omega-3 oils & render them useless, like over cooking olive oil...that's why I always low heat cook my salmon, & I am the only one in Marshall & perhaps all of the native villages of the Yukon, that SCALES his fish...I keep telling everyone that I don't eat scales, that that is akin to eating hairs on moose, & that you can keep your knife super Sharp...if you scale your fish & that the skin is the most nutricious part of the salmon...

I love the skin & I've "accosted" folks on the Russian River, when they throw the skin into the river, & tell them that that's the best part...Chicken skins anyone??? :P just the same!

But you failed to mention a old favorite of southern ancestry, brought to the wilds of Alaska by hardy pioneers from the Florida pan handle and Georgia, namely "cracklin'". But as those of us with sour dough in our veins know, one should shun the traditional pork for our quick sliver flashes of culinary delight Oncorhynchus Tshawytscha, the king salmon or his equally delectable crimson cousin Onchorynchus Nerka, the red Salmon. Simply take a belly section with it's dime bright skin intact, being sure to cut crossectional to the grain, cut into strips of approximately one inch thickness. Deep fry until what was once dime bright takes on the hue of a well worn penny and begins to float across the surface of the oil. Remove to clean, dry paper towels, traditionally news paper is used but one would prefer to avoid anything unamiable too ones food, and allow too cool. Increase the heat under the oil and select a section of crispy gold for a test dip. What you want to see after only a few seconds in the oil is the pearlescent sheen of small bubbles formed in the belly fat. Once you have reached the appropriate thermodynamic state, reintroduce all of the salmon belly sections and stir continuously, being careful not to jostle your creations, bubbles should form within moments it is at this moment that you need to remove the bellies! Any delay could be disastrous and premature removal will surely result in a poor outcome. Let cool and enjoy.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

They are delicious.. I usually leave them on the filet.

I'd seriously skip the halibut skin, tho.......

Wow, Rick, what a delectable proposition!
    The idea of juxtaposing such scrumptious southern fare on a traditional alaskan palate intrigues me to no end!!
    As you obviously possess the rare gift of florid prose, let me be the first to suggest we combine our talents in the pursuit of public enlightenment!!
    Perhaps we ought to explore the myriad possibilities of authoring a tome of northern recipes with a southern flair?
    I envision such suggestions as "salmon gizzards with corn-pone", your "O. nerka belly fries" and perhaps the penultimate "big-butt hali-slaw", a remarkable way to render those tough old spawners to palatable table fare!
    There is no doubt a presentation of such notable comestibles would be favorably received, but perhaps we should pursue the copyright of a "nom de plume" that would be enthusiastically embraced by our targeted demographic. Perhaps "Cracker Hack"... or "Alaskan Basser" , reflecting those in the pursuit of the noble Centrarchidae?
    Should these suggestions meet with your approval, contact me forthwith and i will commence making contacts in the publishing world so as that we may reap the benefits of footing the bill ourselves in hopes that our inspired and captivating ponderings are not lost to future generations!!
    PM sent...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Ah yes, the effervescent salmonid skins

What a delectable recipe. I've experienced such epicurean delights such as the irascible HomerDave has provided us with. Perhaps one day soon I too will be able to stand humbled before the mighty Resurrection Creek in the quaint hamlet of Hope. If this alignment of the fates is gracious enough to bless me with a fine, nearly spawned out, humped up and hooknosed pink salmon perhaps I will be able to pursue a lifetime curiosity to its lip licking conclusion. My only question to you sage pioneers of the palette is this; does one squeeze from the head or the tail when pursuing those pale pearls of pleasurable goodness that is known as roe?

Me, I just can't see choppin up something so precious as one of Alaska's spectacular feeder kings, so I like to take a can of Tuna in oil, the gourmet can you know with the solid fillet, cause I'm gourmet like that, and dose it in A-1 steak sauce heavily (or is it haughtily?). Tear a slice of Wonder in 4 pieces and scoop er up. Learned that timeless secret recipe from a buddy in HI. I seldom save the precious metal tin can for much, but they're kinda handy. Omega 3? I don't know, but it's good shtick. Sorry for the hifalutin talk y'all, I get worked up talkin about good eats.

Oh, and welcome Floridian, lookin forward to yer input!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default florid

I highly suspect that such rhapsodizing as Homerdave, and possible even RickP are committing here, is quite possibly aided and abbetted by such libations as make one's cheeks "florid" when comsumed to slight excess, and exicte one's culinary and literary talents.

And who's this new author chiming in? He sounds so familiar!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    And who's this new author chiming in? He sounds so familiar!
    I picked up on that too, could it be?

Nobody else is going to welcome the new poster? (Just between you and me, I don't think he is really a Florida resident, just visits there enough to bank on it!)
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Suspicious, to say the least. Floridaauthor, spend any time in Kodiak?