Thread: Summer gas prices = Rideshare?

Default Summer gas prices = Rideshare?

I fear the rising cost of living and gas prices may have a limiting factor on my number of fishing trips this year. I live in Anchorage and plan on fishing the valley, bird, and possibly Hope this salmon season.

Is anybody in the same position and do you think it's a good idea to try and get a passenger and maybe some gas money before driving out to the hole?
    If there is interest maybe we can get a carpool thread going as the season opens.

Default Share the ride...

I think your idea is excellent and timely. This is a good way to make new friends and cut costs. It certainly makes cents! (deliberate typo for effect)

If you are a MOD, please forward this on to our webmaster, and the sooner the better.

I will be tooling around Kodiak solo for a couple of days in July in a borrowed Saturn beater.
    I was putiing off the ride to Chiniak or Pasagshak due to the petrol cost. With a rideshare, I wouldn't have to...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

i don't know about car pooling but I'll definitely be doing some boat pooling this year...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

We'll start a rideshare sticky once the rivers start flowing. Maybe mid-May?

I'm so in.

Im renting a car during my stay so anybody with info on where to go is more than welcome!

Default Thanks Brian

The sticky will get used im sure
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I think I will have to give up riding in comfort for the fishing season. I have a beater car and will use it allot. Also thinking or leaving me boat and truck down in homer and just use my beater car to drive to homer.

Or just hang out on the street corner with a sign that says will work for fishing trips.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My pop up camper with my cataraft is stored in cooper landing. With the price of gas and wear and tear and the chance that something could go wrong towing it down there 3 weeks a month for 5 months the savings for me is great plus the hassle free drive without them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Same Here

Every June through September I leave my boat and 5th wheel in Seward and use my truck to drive back and forth for moving the camper and boat. This year I plan on leaving my truck there as well and buying a commuter for driving down and back. I couldn't justify buying another vehicle for that reason until now. I really dont know at what price gas has to get to before I sell the toys but at this rate it may be next year. Hopefully not!
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default ride share

I pretty much boat out of seward it would be cool to meet new friends and share the fuel costs I have a little 22' seasport coho seems to do the job had a blast last summer sometime all by myself other boaters around me in pony and by the cage to the left of harbor were shocked when I was trolling netting ect alone many ask you alone I said yes I can't seem to get my buddy to come along so I do it alone I would be up for a rideshare as I'm not going to sell my boat I really like to fish on the ocean to much

We sold our boat because my husband works too much and we never used it. I would be very interested in sharing gas prices, etc to go fishing. Love halibut, rockfish, and lingcod, hate salmon but love to catch them.

I run my boat 1 - 2 times after work during the work week. My boat will be open to anyone with gas money during the week.......I'll post details once the mods make a ride share sticky....
    pull my finger....

i may be interested TJM, where u go?

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by kammer View Post
    Every June through September I leave my boat and 5th wheel in Seward and use my truck to drive back and forth for moving the camper and boat. This year I plan on leaving my truck there as well and buying a commuter for driving down and back. I couldn't justify buying another vehicle for that reason until now. I really dont know at what price gas has to get to before I sell the toys but at this rate it may be next year. Hopefully not!
    Where do you store and how are the rates? I plan on going out of Seward a lot this year. I usually launch at the Bay Barge bait shop ramp. If I could find a safe place to store my boat it would sure be tempting.

Default Sticky

There is a sticky up top of the forum called Open Seat. It is for anyone that wants to share a seat and whatever else to go fishing. I suggest that you post up there if you have an opportunity to take someone out fishing.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Yeah, perhaps we should just use the Open Seat sticky for the ride shares as well. I was thinking we could have a different thread for sharing the costs of highway vehicles, but I don't know that there is a point in splitting them up. I'll go clean up the Open Seat thread. Let's use that one for now.

Note: The Open Seat thread is not for asking for a ride. It is only for those offering a ride. Respond to offers via PM so as to keep the thread uncluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i may be interested TJM, where u go?

Ray
    during the work week I usually get to the Deshka landing by 5pm and stay out until 11pm to midnight....depending on time of year, I'll anchor up for kings, chase pike around, or just go for a cruise up the deshka, etc....I'll post details in the sticky...
    pull my finger....

One think I am interested in is a trade with a river runner I have a ocean cruzer done ok fishing and have met a few cool guides around my slip that have shown me and taken me to some pretty good fishing spots I would like to take someone ocean fishing for a king fishing river outing I have my own pole and setup and have all the ocean setup I would like to meet with a river runner to share all of the good life rivers and I will do the big water

TRADE
    A spot on a boat or a seat heading to the Russian

EXCHANGE:
    WIFE (can't guarantee she cooks nor cleans)

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

That was funny gray I had a great laugh. I thought I would put the offer out there did the same last year no takers its all good I get a few kings from the bank and do ok on the other :]