Thread: So, where are the 20 and up Halibut during May?

Default So, where are the 20 and up Halibut during May?

I need to catch a bunch between Seward and Kodiak. Last August, I took a Didson 'underwater camera' sonar out to Prince William Sound and the edge of Portlock Gully to view 150 or so hook attacks by halibut. About a third of those ended up hooked. At the Gully, I could put down a frame with 4 hooks, pull it back up in an hour, and have caught 3 or 4 halibut, and then viewing the video would see that it took 10 or more bites to catch those fish. I am studying the relationship between halibut length and whether a bite ends up with a capture. I had good numbers of halibut between 60 and 90 cm or so (just under 32")...10 to 15 pounds. but I need more observations of larger fish. At the rate of 3 to 4 for a one hour soak.

This year I'm coming up in May, for 12 days, to get more observations on last years 16/0 hook size, as well as a full suite of observations using the smaller 13/0 hooks. I'll probably start back out on the edge of Portlock Gully, but would like some other ideas, and weather holes where I could still conduct the experiment well sheltering from a blow would be nice.

I don't kill the halibut, they are measured and released, reasonably unharmed.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Wow...this sounds very interesting. I wish I had someplace to offer up, but I don't really do any fishing this time of year. Maybe AKCAPT will point you to a few spots.

But, I'd love to see some of the "video"...so if you get it somewhere up on the internet, please post a link.

Same here! Id love to see those videos.

youtube?

Default dvd underwater secrets

I have a dvd I got at the sportsman show a couple of years ago. It was called underwater secrets of catching halibut rockfish and lingcod while watching the underwater halibut biting I was suprised how many were hitting the weight maybe it was just me but it seemed like it happened alot. it is a interesting video about 45 mins long

Default Halibut

I was fishing Halibut on anchor a couple years ago. My rod buried at the bite. I set the hook and the fight was on. I gained line and lost it back. This went on for several minutes. My partners reeled up, got the harpoon ready and "oh no" I screamed the line broke. Well, after reeling up the weight was missing,the snap holding the weight was straightened. The bait was fine. That fish swallowed the 20 oz. weight

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I was fishing Halibut on anchor a couple years ago. My rod buried at the bite. I set the hook and the fight was on. I gained line and lost it back. This went on for several minutes. My partners reeled up, got the harpoon ready and "oh no" I screamed the line broke. Well, after reeling up the weight was missing,the snap holding the weight was straightened. The bait was fine. That fish swallowed the 20 oz. weight
    That's why the only "weights" I use anymore have a hook coming out of them with a plastic jig body on them.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default They do bite the weights.

Out in Cook Inlet fishing the 'Chicken Holes' a group of halibut will often swim to the surface following up the hooked fish. You can drop another setup down and you'll see the other fish hitting the weight more often then the bait.

Default It would stand to reason

If all the weight hitters could produce some hooksets then it would stand to reason that a hook be an equal part of the equation for the weight. I like the idea of using the leaded hook; everything helps.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

To date I have caught my largest butt, lingcod yellow eye on a jig and grub worm just did not know others were doing well also nice to know i'm not alone I had wondered if it was just dumb luck or if jigs were working well it is a pain jigging but it has gotten me more fish than others just holding bait on the bottom most of the time