Thread: best quiet waterproof clothing??

Default best quiet waterproof clothing??

what's the best hunting clothing that is breathable and waterproof?? I have some military gortex woodland camo stuff that works pretty good, but I was hoping to find something quiter to walk in. Anyone have any reccomendations?

Waterproof and breathable is an oxymoron in Alaska. It all works great until it starts leaking.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

does everyone just wear camo clothing and then pack raingear in their packs??

Well, that's what I do, and very little camo at that. I believe in waterproof raingear.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    does everyone just wear camo clothing and then pack raingear in their packs??
    The dry happy ones do. HH Impertech is your friend

any thoughts on mad dog clothing or frogg toggs???

From my use Frog Toggs seemed to be waterproof and very breathable. They were just not durable. I am not hard on my equipment, but they did not last. Not a bad product while they did though.

Default staying dry

I live in the Interior now, so most of the time it is relatively dry here compared to a lot of other places. However, it can rain pretty good in August and September. I grew up in NW Washington, with a similar climate to SE Alaska. Down there we wore plain old fashioned wool, rubber boots, and sometimes carried a rain coat. You can't beat wool for warmth and quiet. When it starts to soak through (which takes awhile), find a little cover to get under, take it off, and shake it out. You'll be good to go again for awhile.
    These days when I'm hunting in the rain, I wear wool bib overalls, a wool shirt and/or jacket, Extra-Tuffs, and a well-waxed Filson packer hat. If you want to get good wool stuff at a reasonable price, check out Bemidji Woolen Mills. I bought my newest jacket from them, and I'll probably get a pair of pants from them this year.
    HH Impertech is good stuff, too. I carry bibs and a jacket on my 4 wheeler.

i'm with Alaskan. waterproof and breathable go together like clinton and obama.
    Camo dont' seem to be really be very important, i wear it cause alot of the good hunting clothes come in it, but its not necessary at all that i've ever seen. Packing RUBBER rain gear and just tossing it on when you need it is best. rubber rain gear...ie read HH, or Grundens light gear...will dry fast in a light wind, durable and best of all...water proof, as in no water goes thru it...at all. i've actaully tied the legs of my rain pants off and hauled water in them thats rain gear.
    Don't try to reinvent the wheel here....rivers west tried that and got slammed on a thread in here a while back....i forwarded that link to rivers west, thought they might like the read...lol
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Default proper care

I've used gore-tex fleece here in SE for years and it works well in our downpours. The key is proper care, I clean mine at least 2 times a year and never ever dry it in a dryer. Most gore-tex will leak if the pores get clogged or open larger by overheat from a dryer. Some of my buds have tried to go the easy route with cleaning/drying and then ***** when the clothes don't work like they should.

Default I am no Alaska expert but.....

I have spent a lot of time in some darn wet places, and HH rocks.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance