Thread: Retumbo and it's uses

Default Retumbo and it's uses

I really like Retumbo since I have just started using it. This really is a versatile slow burning powder. I have noticed in doing some research that it is being used with many cartridges and even though in some cartridges it does not give the best velocities (in some it gives the best) but it ends up much of the time being the most accurate or very accurate at the least. What I found fascinating was that few were using it in a 300Wby to push not 200gr plus bullets which it does well but to push a 180gr bullet using a starting load of 87grs and working up with good accuracy results and not shabby velocities. I know that Retumbo is relative new as far as powders go, but I think it is due some experimenting and we all might have some pleasant surprises. What is your take on Retumbo? Also what have your discovered in using the powder besides the fact that when you get to max it is immediately at max, which is not such a bad thing when you think about it?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Retumbo does sound like an interesting powder. One thing about it that appeals to me is that is temp stable. I have seen it used in some to larger magnum loads producing good velocities. I may experiment with the 300 WSM.

Anyone else used it in a 300 WSM?

I'm curious about it's uses in 300Wby also. I been mainly concentrating on RL22 and IMR 7828 for the 300Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    I'm curious about it's uses in 300Wby also. I been mainly concentrating on RL22 and IMR 7828 for the 300Roy.
    Same here, I have been using RL-22 and IMR7828 and in my 300Wby I have been getting better velocities out of RL-22 as well as accuracy although in both categories they are very close. Rigby257, I will be testing some Retumbo in front of a 200gr, 190gr, and 180gr bullet in my 300Wby next week. I will report chronograph and accuracy data.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes sir, i will be most interested in the results. Please keep me posted. I've also had decent results accuracy wise using AA3100 in the 300Wby. I don't have a lot of experience with the Weatherby line of cartridges, but my 300Wby is fast becoming my favorite rifle.
    I mainly concentrate my load development using 200 grain Partitions, but i'm also trying to develop a 165 grain Barnes TTSX or MRX load to use for sheep. Anybody got any experience with either of these bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    ... but i'm also trying to develop a 165 grain Barnes TTSX or MRX load to use for sheep. Anybody got any experience with either of these bullets?
    I would like to develop a load with the 168 TTSX also, only in the 300 WSM. As for the MRX vs the TTSX the MRX costs twice as much as the TTSX and the TTSX will have the same SD but a higher BC. The MRX is also shorter, if that matters. Right now i plan to develop the load with H4350, but maybe I'll try Retumbo also. or maybe Retumbu in the future when there is more info on it.

IMHO 4350 is THE powder for the 300 WSM.. I like Retumbo in the 300 RUM and H-1000 is good as well, but in the 300 RUM Retumbo will give higher velocity, H-10o0 generaly gives lower Estreme spreads than Retumbo in my experience but, not always..

Retumbo is my powder for the 300 RUM. My favorite weight bullet is the 200 for the RUM.

I shot 200 grain bullets at 3200 fps with Retumbo.

I got higher velocities with IMR 7828 and 220's and 240's in the 300 RUM.

In the 300 win mag with 200 partitions and Retumbo I got close to 3000 FPS . I could get 2950 with about 8 grains less powder by using H4831 so I choose it instead of Retumbo.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Smile retumbo

I tried Retumbo in my 30 year old Ruger M77 7mm rem mag. It was the bomb. All of a sudden this old raggedy rifle which sprayed bullets all over grouped like a champ. Under an inch at 100. All other powders I tried were futile. I have a new 300 wsm and am working up 4831 but if anyone comes up with a Retumbo load for the wsm I will try it due to my past success.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I tried Retumbo in my 30 year old Ruger M77 7mm rem mag. It was the bomb. All of a sudden this old raggedy rifle which sprayed bullets all over grouped like a champ. Under an inch at 100. All other powders I tried were futile. I have a new 300 wsm and am working up 4831 but if anyone comes up with a Retumbo load for the wsm I will try it due to my past success.
    When Retumbo works there ain't nothing better. If you can get it to shoot good groups and give the velocities you want before it reaches max then you really have something. But when it reaches max it does so all at once so my suggestion is to work up in half grain steps when you are getting near the top and you will not get frustrated and will more than likely find that good load because Retumbo is best at near max in my work with it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default retumbo

I run 91 grains Retumbo in my 7mm RUM. 160 gr Speer GS. It absolutely devastates Elk. Keeps in the half inch group size at 100. Really do like the powder. Anybody have load data for Retumbo in 338 Win Mag??

Default Retumbo

I would not recommend it for the 300 WSM. Best suited for the super capacity 300 RUM or Weatherbys.............the 300 WSM the Reloader 17 or MagPro are made for the Short magnums. IMR 4831 and H4350 deserve mention also.

Retumbo is in the same league as Reloader 25 and IMR 7828 very slow burning. 26" or longer barrel would be excellent

338 Win Mag best use Reloader 17/19/4350 with 210/225gr and Reloader 22 with 250's.......

Now with the 338/375 RUM the Retumbo would work good!
    Alaska

Good thread. I recently bought a couple of lbs. of Retumbo so I can use it for my 300 RUM.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    I would not recommend it for the 300 WSM. Best suited for the super capacity 300 RUM or Weatherbys.............the 300 WSM the Reloader 17 or MagPro are made for the Short magnums. IMR 4831 and H4350 deserve mention also.

Retumbo is in the same league as Reloader 25 and IMR 7828 very slow burning. 26" or longer barrel would be excellent

338 Win Mag best use Reloader 17/19/4350 with 210/225gr and Reloader 22 with 250's.......

Now with the 338/375 RUM the Retumbo would work good!
    Yea, I have to agree with you alaska bush man, that Retumbo would work well in a 26" plus barrel and will also work well for real over bore cartridges. It is a tad slower than RL-25 but doe produce some consistent accuracy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default retumbo and 7mm rem mag

I've been shooting 140gr Ballistic Tips in front of IMR4350 out my Ruger m77 mkII for years with good success, but I'm getting ready to work up a new load in it for 160gr Accubonds. I had kind of settled on RL22 as the powder I was going to focus on, but after reading this thread I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience Retumbo in this caliber/bullet combination. The boys at Nosler don't seem to have tried Retumbo at all, it doesn't appear anywhere (as far as I can tell) in their #6 manual.

Do you think it's worth buying a pound of Retumbo to play with? My rifle has a 24" barrel.

Thanks!

WYHUNTER,

For the 338 RUM data go to the Hodgdon site. I believe they list 101 gr. with 250 gr. Partion as max