Thread: Fuel- Availibility In Chenaga

Default Fuel- Availibility In Chenaga

Wondering if anyone knows of fuel availability in the marina there. years ago there was a pump but fuel had to be carried in 5 gallon containers down to docks.Any changes with that.
    Thanx Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Last time I checked it was the same situation. No pump at the dock and fuel IF they will sell to you.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Chenega

I have been told they are not real receptive to outside folks there. A friend planned on buying gas there and ended up having to beg a tender in Main bay on the way home to buy a couple gallons

I called Chenega last year ... maybe the year before... and the official word was that they would not sell fuel to me. They said that there may be tenders in the area that might sell me some. It was obvious to me at the time that it was simple discrimination, and that just rubs me the wrong way. I'd be willing to pay for fuel in the Sound. Whatever happened to the plan to put a fuel depot on the west side of Knight? Too enviromentally unfriendly?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

The village of Chenega does not exist to serve you or me.
    The only thing you can buy in Chenega is candles in the church. There ain't no fuel pump at the dock, comfy clean restrooms, or Native porters to haul fuel for your boating pleasure.

Discrimination?

I would imagine that it's a pain and expensive for Chenega to get fuel for themselves. So their balking at selling fuel to sports fishermen wouldn't surprise me. However, if someone were at risk of running out of fuel and getting stranded or harmed, then I'd think (or hope) that they'd sell enough fuel to get you home. I guess the conclusion should be that you shouldn't count on Chenega for getting fuel and should plan accordingly. At least that's the way I'd plan it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    The village of Chenega does not exist to serve you or me.
    The only thing you can buy in Chenega is candles in the church. There ain't no fuel pump at the dock, comfy clean restrooms, or Native porters to haul fuel for your boating pleasure.

Discrimination?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a corporation engaging in private sales, it happens all the time. But the impression that I got at the times I called them was that since I'm not a Chenega Native, I couldn't buy gas there. That's the definition of discrimination.
    [Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit-- American Heritage Dictionary]

It also irritated me that public funds have built their ferry terminal, airport, and roads, and that for all intents and puropses, the public wasn't welcome there. Again, my impressions from a couple of phone calls a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I would imagine that it's a pain and expensive for Chenega to get fuel for themselves. So their balking at selling fuel to sports fishermen wouldn't surprise me.
    I'm not so sure that it's any more difficult or expensive than geting fuel to Cordova, or Juneau, or Hoonah, or Kodiak, or Dutch Harbor. The difference is that Chenega doesn't seem to want to sell fuel (or anything else) to non-Chenegans. What would you think if you walked into your local oriental market and they wouldn't sell you anything because you weren't Korean?

That mindset may be perfectly acceptable to some people. It just rubs me the wrong way.

As for me, I'm over it. There was a time when I was interested in spending some money there so I didn't have to carry as much fuel and groceries on board. I figured I would gain some fuel economy and maybe some speed if I traveled lighter, understanding that I would probably spend that savings and more by buying more expensive fuel and food and ice at Chenega. Now I just bring more with me. Whatever. Live and let live.

If there is a retail outlet for fuel and they refuse to sell you fuel..that is wrong.

Strangely enough, it's okay for a native village to not accept visiting boaters with open arms, yet it's offensive when that happens in Whittier.

Default I have

had a similer experience in Tyonek. If you are non-native then they feel they have a right to discriminate against you.

It is wrong and the native community needs to be called on it. I myself have not been by Chenega.

If you can prove they sell to native Chenegas and will not sell to you based on your race etc., that would need to be taken to court as a discrimination suit.

What some in the native community do not realize is that they are Americans too and they must also abide by the law of the land.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/