Thread: Russian River 7/10 - 7/12 - Reds

Default Russian River 7/10 - 7/12 - Reds

Trying to fill in the last few days of my Alaska Trip. Thinking of fishing the Russian for Reds. Looks like these dates will be right between the runs. Will it be a waste to fish the Russian at this time? If not any Reds, still a good fishery for trout? Any other areas that would be better?

Thanks,
    Mike

thats the slowest time of the summer for sure. Even the rainbow fishing is pretty slow as the fish are pretty jaded and not much is happening in the trout food realm to get them happy again.

Some years the lower kenai can be good in the end of that time frame, but lately the runs have been coming later and later, my guess is it will be too early. Heck last season the red run didn't seem to show up on the Russian until the 18th of August.

Those dates I'd rather go king fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Any other suggestions? I'll be coming down from Anchorage on July 9th after doing a week long fly out trip. Planning on hitting Seward Thursday for a Halibut/Salmon combo and then we're pretty much up in the air for Friday and Saturday.

Thanks again,
    Mike

I would try the Kenai then. When fishing that time of year I'm either fishing A)Montana creek for kings AT NIGHT!!!(way to many people during the day)
    B) fishing the Kenai hard but willing to move.

I start at the Russian. If you have never fished it I'd say do it as it's fun, and a great strech of river. While bears are a problem I fish in odd hours to avoid the crowds. If nothing is going on there, I get in the truck and drive...

.....To Jim's landing (off of skilak lake road and you have to fish 100 yards away from boat lauch area.) ............then to..............

Centenial park in Soldotna. So basically I leapfrogged some good spots to see if the fish are in the lower river. I ask whoever else is fishing how it's going. If I hear it was great last night or this morning, and they are not there I get in the truck and go to.........

Morgan's landing. Then to The other spot with the big cut bank on the lower river....darnit what is that spot called? Right off the hwy. Another landing....argggh, more coffee.

Sometimes when in soldotna I'll try the college hole behind Kenai college.

Sometimes I'll stop at Izaak Walton state park and fish the moose/kenai confluence.

If all that don't work, I buy some reds and go to hope on my way home and catch some pinks so I don't get skunked. LOL.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want directions or anthing.

Are the Montana creek kings worth throwin on the table? How far have they run and how long have they been in the river when they get there?

All depends on the fish. Sometimes I get chromers and sometime I catch the old red ones. By then they are 60% unedible though. Still it only takes one for a good meal.

Akbrownsfan gave you good advice. I would try the russian, and not just the confluence and if the fish are not there be willing to move up and down the kenai. If the fishing was good some where on the river that day then the fish are in the river you just need to find them.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Then to The other spot with the big cut bank on the lower river....darnit what is that spot called? Right off the hwy. Another landing....argggh, more coffee.

Bing's maybe?????

Default Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner!! Thank you!!! Bings landing is the other one I stop at!

Like the above post said though you just have to move around sometime. Both by driving and walking a little bit. I'm always amazed that I can find a good spot downstream of the russian confluence when there are thousands fishing. Same with Morgans, and other spots.

Default Start at the russian

If the reds have not moved up that far you can still have a great day there fishing for bows. Bead head nymphs are a great fly and the bow fishing is good and the river is just beautiful and the crowds on the russian should be light then. If the reds are not there head south and try bings as was suggested
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

What about the kasilof, aren't the reds usually in by then?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've read that the red can be in the Kasilof but the runs aren't that strong. Any truth to that? Can the Kasilof be fished from shore easily?

Thanks,
    Mike

Lets see if this chart works.
    I only fish at the mouth when dipnetting is slow and have done ok, and at crooked creek. Kasilof isn't that long a river. I have heard of folks fishing at the outlet of tustemema lake but dont' know how or where.

NOpe it didn't work. Anyway last year during that time the run averaged 5-10,000 fish. In the Kasilof I think it needs to be 5000 or more to be fishable. Kinda like the Kenai where I don't like to fish unless I see 20,000 per day or more. Here is a great link to keep track of the runs.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

Kasilof is pretty hit and miss for sockeye - it often seems like they're there, then gone in a hurry; if you hit it right it can be good though. you're not necessarily too early to target sockeye in the lower river around soldotna... they're been late in recent years, but they are often in targetable numbers by then. Oh yea, and don't fish the Russian for trout - there aren't any in that river, so don't even try.
    MW
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.