Thread: new raft on the way

Default new raft on the way

I just ordered an Outcast PAC1000FS for myself, should be here in a week or two. I cannot wait any longer. But with this snow flying I think I'll have to. I just want a lake to open up a bit to float around a bit on the darn thing. Now I just have to start buying all the goodies to go with it

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I just ordered an Outcast PAC1000FS for myself, should be here in a week or two. I cannot wait any longer. But with this snow flying I think I'll have to. I just want a lake to open up a bit to float around a bit on the darn thing. Now I just have to start buying all the goodies to go with it
    Has anyone ever paddled one of these in big water? How do they handle? They look like they have a high center of gravity.

Default Cool

Well Congrats on the purchase! Hope you enjoy the toy!

Default Looks like a fun rig

I would never take this boat on Big water but I would take it down the Gulkana, Chena, 40 mile, Chatanika, but not loaded to capacity. I saw several boats of this size on the Green River below flaming gorge a few yrs back and they were doing fine. Just gotta learn the limits, as with any boat. My main concern would be the strenght of the frame, oarlocks and oars. If you are traveling with someone who has a 16 or 18 cat to haul all the gear you will have a blast. I'll look for you on the water. good luck and have fun.

I have a pack 10, I float and fish with a group of guys with personal pontoons ranging from 8' (to small for my big butt) to 12'. We float up to class 4+ water regularly with no issues (ok the 8' is to small for class 4). We take them on multi day trips and as long as you have light weight gear (think ultralight backpack type stuff) we have no issues.

Oh and always expect to get wet. All of us have ended up swimming at some point or another over the last 4 years.

They are a blast, easy to maneuver, great to fish from, and nice because we can float smaller streams and rivers, or at lower water levels than the bigger rafts.

Things you will want to upgrade on the pac 10, you will want heavy duty oar locks, or at least extra ones on your boat and oar rights. I put in better seat attachments, anchor system (though newer boats seem to have solved this). Always Carry spare oars, and wear your PFD.

Set up right, we have floated 4 day trips down several western rivers, including the Green, Arkansas, North Plate through Northgate Canyon, and the Gunnison through the Gunny Gorge. And I can take it to just about any remote mountain lake and spend all day casting to wild trout.

Have a blast.

BTW, I will be in Alaska next month with my boat and 2 buddies to float Lake Creek. Not at all worried about the float, now bears, that is another story.....