Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so we've done pinks...Lets do CHUM!!

Default Ok, so we've done pinks...Lets do CHUM!!

Ok guys, so there's a good thread about hope and the tons of pinks to catch.

How about CHUM!!! Ive never even SEEN a chum in my life! I havent even seen canned chum!! (does that exist?)

Anyways, I read this book called 'alaska fishing' (I think) by Gunnar Pedersen. In it, he writes something to the effect of: "You'll catch dozens of chum until your arms will not be able to catch anymore''. I almost packed my bags to head to Alaska right after reading that paragraph. I held back.

Now, since I know most people dont like chum, I was wondering if you've got any sweet spots (sweet for me, horrible for you), similar to Hope, where I can battle that darn chum salmon?
    From what Ive read, they fight really hard, so they must be fun to catch!
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Ok guys, so there's a good thread about hope and the tons of pinks to catch.

How about CHUM!!! Ive never even SEEN a chum in my life! I havent even seen canned chum!! (does that exist?)

Anyways, I read this book called 'alaska fishing' (I think) by Gunnar Pedersen. In it, he writes something to the effect of: "You'll catch dozens of chum until your arms will not be able to catch anymore''. I almost packed my bags to head to Alaska right after reading that paragraph. I held back.

Now, since I know most people dont like chum, I was wondering if you've got any sweet spots (sweet for me, horrible for you), similar to Hope, where I can battle that darn chum salmon?
    From what Ive read, they fight really hard, so they must be fun to catch!
    Thanks in advance
    Ship creek in downtown anchorage or you can head up to the valley and were your arms out to your hearts delight.

Ship creek gets very little chum. Willow creek gets a few though. Fourth of July creek in Seward gets a pretty big run also. I've caught them with my hands down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishknet View Post
    Ship creek in downtown anchorage or you can head up to the valley and were your arms out to your hearts delight.
    Thanks man.

when will they hit ships creek? and by 'valley' you mean, around wasilla area? Im not sure, Im going by mapquest here.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I've caught them with my hands down there.
    I almost spit my gatorade onto my screen laughing...

North of wasilla. Pretty much any of the creeks/rivers you cross that flow into the Susitna. Late july-august. Were are you coming from?

Prince William Sound gets quite a few. The Lake Bay hatchery on Ester Island is teaming with them from June on. I have caught them in May while bear hunting and an ocean caught chum is quite tasty. Very mild flavor. IF you only have access to the road system, the Parks Highway streams would be the ticket.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Ship creek gets very little chum. Willow creek gets a few though. Fourth of July creek in Seward gets a pretty big run also. I've caught them with my hands down there.
    I wouldn't brag about that one.

The only fishing ticket I ever got was for catching a Rainbow trout with my hands. I got a warning ticket for illegal means and methods.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Haines

Haines, Alaska. 14+ hour drive from Anchorage.
    Go in the fall.
    Get yourself a registration brown bear tag (RB050 or RB062)
    Chilkat River.

Fish in the day... hunt in the evenings. The bears will be eating the chum.

Chum fight good. Chum don't taste so good though.
    Chum have BIG teeth, be sure you have some strong leader on your rod.

Default Willow

Willow River... above the Parks. Just about any place their's an eddy or some type of confluence.
    You can sight fish above the Parks highway (the water is nice and clear). They're thick as you'd like.
    I have also grabbed a chum with my bare hands... on the Willow river.

Chum have big teeth...

Three words for you, sodabiscuit:

Bright pink flies.

Hike downstream on Willow Creek during late July and early August. Sight-cast to the chums that will be holding in the midst of lots more pinks. You may even luck into an early silver or two while you're at it.

While fishing Ship Creek during the fall at low tide you'll see a chum every once in awhile mixed in with the pinks.... caught 2? last year- both were atleast 12 pounds though- good fight

Never packed home a chum -- but enjoy catching them. Perhaps, an underrated and overlooked salmon and a large one running hot can be a handful. Seen lots of people pack them home and say they are smoking it.

Default chum

Up in the valley I catch them all the time in the fall, nice to mix with a day of silver fishing. A few years ago I caught 43 in a few hr of fishing in Portage River, one was 19lbs. Used to have a photo but I canít seem to find it. A fresh one smokes up good but anything taste good if you smoke it. Any thing but a pink, that is, they donít even make good dog food.

Default Sight fishing chum-dogs...

My favorite location was Sheep Creek bridge. I would send a spotter on top of the bridge, and blind-cast to the pointed spot where he could see them from above. We wailed them.

I also favored the Little Susitna past the railway bridge, and the confluence at Montana. Chum City if you hit it right.

Chums are the angriest salmon I've ever fished. Lose one in a battle and they'll continue to jump around and thrash just to remind you they don't like being messed with.

Netted commercialy, they'll sometimes wind up in our markets advertised as Silverbrite Salmon. However, most of them wind up being marketed overseas where the demand for them outpaces the USA.

A heavy Pixxe will nail them. Stick one by mistake in the tail and you'll chase a freight-train...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Go into the chums on Montana creek a couple of yrs ago. Broke my 8wt, didn't have a backup. Brought out my 6wt trout rod. Talk about fun!! Flash flies, pink anything flies, and the ever popular ESL's.

Default Chums

Very underrated fish! Especially for a non resident fisherman. You'll wonder what the knock on them is after you've hooked a couple. Montana, Sheep or Willow Creeks after mid July, and Clear Creek are all terrific spots. Clear Creek is a great spot to go, as it requires a jet boat dropoff and on a clear day the trip has some of the best views of Denali you'll find anywhere. Cost of the dropoff has been $60-65, but I suspect it will be around $75 this year. Still cheap, by my book! Its a mixed bag fishery. Some spawning kings low in the creek to attract big rainbows and dollies, and chums, silvers and pinks. Take a bright chum back to the gravel bar with you, fillet it out, and broil it over a campfire. (Keep an eyeball out for brer bear, though. Don't fear the bear, just give 'im a bit of respect and elbow room. If you're camping out make sure your cooking area is well away from your tent: preferably next door to someone else's tent!) Chum is a really firm, mild flavored salmon when fresh, so it also does really well in beer batter or smoked.

Pinks and chums.... ask me about something better... like Irish lords.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Montana Creek and Sheep Creek

Reference your Highway Angler Sustina Valley (they are everywhere) :

Montana CK

Sheep CK

TSS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Yum

Man! look at the drool coming off of that slimey salmon. Bet you needed a couple of slime rags to get that off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Reference your Highway Angler Sustina Valley (they are everywhere) :

Montana CK

Sheep CK

TSS
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast