Thread: Fuel planning

Default Fuel planning

Anyone run an inboard jet to the Koyukuk river to hunt? I am looking to compare some fuel numbers to make sure I have enough fuel planned for the trip. I am thinking that 150 gallons total capicity should get me between the fuel stops of Tanana and Galena. Just looking for anyone that has done the trip. I have a 5.7 EFI Kodiak with hamilton pump in the boat. I tend to burn 7.5-8.0 gph at 2850 rpm and 28 mph. Just looking to reaffirm my numbers.

It is approx. 165 miles from Tanana to Galena. At 28mph it will take you approx. 6 hours, even if you burn 10gph you will use 60 gallons of fuel. Keep in mind you will be traveling with more weight than you are used to carrying. Your gph estimate for a jet boat with a v-8 is better than I would expect. How big is your boat? I will be running a 24 Aurora with twin Honda 130's (props), I am hoping for 2 to 2.5 nmpg average for the whole trip but for fuel planning purposes I am using 1.5 nmpg. I have done the trip in both jet and prop driven boats. Weight is very critical especially in a jet boat, if you cant get on step your fuel consumption stays the same but you are bargeing at 10 to 15mph, depending on current flow. The jet boat i was in for the trip was 24 feet with a 454 and a single stage hamiliton, if I remember correctly it used approx. 15gph at 25mph.

Default I wish I got that mileage

Those are great mileage figures that I wish I could get. I have made that run more times that I can count off hand. It all depends on the load you are carrying and there are so many variables that effect the weight I plan for the worst and have a back up plan after that. On the trip back up the river sometimes 1.5 mpg is good with my old boat. My understanding is some of the newer jets are a little more efficient. If you are bringing back 2 large moose in the boats from the area requiring all bones to be brought out it is quite a load.

(Again) Install a Floscan! It will tell you exactly how much fuel you are using at any given time(up stream, down stream, different loads, etc).
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    (Again) Install a Floscan! It will tell you exactly how much fuel you are using at any given time(up stream, down stream, different loads, etc).
    I have a floscan and it just reconfirms the fact that I can no longer afford my hobbies. Add those figures to the price of gas in the village and you could be leading to a medical condition if your heart isn't strong. Great tool for saving on the fly and accurate decision making.

Smile Koyukuk

I ran with a 200hp 2stroke. 90 gals to Galena and approx 45-50 to just past lower 3 day slough (camp). Very close to the same #s on the way back to the bridge. Tough to give accurate #s with different weights throughout the trip. Was usually travelling between 30-34 knots. Maybe just a comparison.

I think I will make a few runs with a floscan on the big su before heading out to moose hunt. I think I will most likely use 10gph as a planning number. With the 212 pump and the larger 3.4 impeller I actually gain some efficiency on the pump. The original 2.4 impeller forced you to run at higher rpm to get the same speed. The 3.4 allows you to back off the rpm a bit. As long as you are not at elevation (idaho snake river) the 5.7 will turn it to 3800rpm which is about 44 mph. Anyways I will try and massage the fuel numbers. Want to make sure to carry enough fuel, and possibly even tanker some in on the way and put it in caches along the way to minimize the village purchases. I am scared to even ask what the fuel is going for in Galena right now. I figure if it is 3 to 4 dollars more then the price difference will actually be better to buy more fuel containers and carry as much weight going in as possible. Just don't want to run out is the bottom line, and secondarily would like to save some bucks given the high prices.

Default PM Sent

I sent you a PM - let me know if you are interested in any more info about the trip down the river - I have done it a lot of times.