Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighten up or something

Default Lighten up or something

Things have gotten pretty serious around here lately. Evidently nobody in Darreld's neighborhood has roped any deer lately. After reading some the posts about the advice given by sales personel at the box stores and other heavy topics, like getting bounced from the forum I thought it might not be so bad an idea try to inject some of my own silly humor. The Ruger .338 post got me thinking about what I would really like to say to or ask of some of the greenhorn personel in the gun departments at the box stores. We all know them. They are the ones who will make up any story rather than admit they don't know the answer. I'll start. See what you can add. (BTW, this is the most civil, and intelligent group of guys I've seen posting on gun forums. Good luck to all of you this coming season.)

This is sorta like messin with Sasquatch. Here goes.

Could you help me? I have a Savage 30-06 and I've been able to find the Remington and Winchester ammo, but I can't find any for a Savage 30-06.

All my rifles are left handed. Where do you keep the left hand ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post

This is sorta like messin with Sasquatch. Here goes.

Could you help me? I have a Savage 30-06 and I've been able to find the Remington and Winchester ammo, but I can't find any for a Savage 30-06.

All my rifles are left handed. Where do you keep the left hand ammo?
    Answer: Why, right next to the Lujon snagging lures! Just look for the minnow buckets and there right next to them. Have a nice day and thank you for shopping @ Wally-world.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    ...(BTW, this is the most civil, and intelligent group of guys I've seen posting on gun forums...)...
    I don't kere who ye are, that thar is funny!

You just injected some humor.

Default Rigby Smigby, just give me the ammo.....

I wanna tell ya a story that is true and funny and was almost made a castrophy by a young clerk at one of the local big box stores.

I fellow had all his life wanted a 416 Rigby, he had read every story of African hunting and anything on the 416 Rigby and just had to have one. Mostly they were custom jobs and well out of his reach.........Until, CZ introduced the caliber in the rather inexpensive 550 model. Well he ordered one from a well known shop owner in town. It arrived and he quickly filled out necessary paper work and asked if this shop had any ammo. Nope! Not a round, don't know where to get it.

He then went on a spree around town to find ammo. He found a box of Norma, at another shop, which is pricey and over priced as this shop was not known as the cheapest place intown. The price was over a $100. The new Rigby owner argued and pleaded for a discount and got a small break. He then reluctantly paid nearly 20% the price of his new rifle for this ammo. Then out of curiosity he stopped at the local big box store, newly opened and newly staffed.

He went directly to the gun counter and asked the young clerk if he had any 416 Rigby ammo. Hmmm....the kid thought a minute then walked over to the ammo shelf and found a box of 416 Remington. He then turned to the New Rigby owner who was not a gun guru nor a very technical person, and said; Here ya'go, this is what you need. There is no such thing as a Rigby caliber, just a Rigby rifle company, all 416's are the same. How much? asked the Rigby owner? $60. I'll take it.

Now Our new Rigby owner went directly back to the shop where he bought the very expensive 416 Rigby ammo, armed with this new information, and knowing he didn't need this expensive 416 ammo since he had the same stuff only cheaper. He then argued and pleaded with the shop owner to get a refund on his overpriced ammo, saying he got the "same stuff" at somewhere else for a lot less money. The shop owner gave in and gave his money back.

A few days later he returned to the first shop where he had purchased the 416 Rigby and said; I can't get my bolt open, something is wrong. After only three shots it locked up. And look what happens to my brass.

The 416 Remington brass had swelled up to fit the 416 Rigby chamber then ruptured. The stuck round had expelled a piece of the brass case around the locking lugs and stuck the bolt. After some light smithing all was cleared and the CZ 416 Rigby was good as new.

After some real education from a couple of gun guys, the new Rigby owner had to go back to the expensive ammo shop to buy the only box of 416 Rigby ammo in town........again. No discount this time!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I can't remember the conversation in great detail, but recently, a very friendly, and helpful guy at the gun counter in the Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage, told me that most of the new rifles made, had variable twists.

Either, it was because that was more accurate, or you got more velocity, I can't remember which. He said they had been doing it that way for a long time now, years.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ya, a guy at the store tried to sell me right hand twist bullets for a left hand twist gun. You can bet they never got anymore of my business. Do I look that stupid?

I know a mechanic who had a lady bring him a car and she said that there was something wrong with the steering. He looked at it, drove it and everything appeared to be in good working order. When she returned he asked her what was wrong. She replied that the last mechanic had told her there was a loose nut behind the wheel. She was steaming when he told her what the last mechanic meant.

My ornery brother had the lady at Walmart convinced that she had a bad batch of shotgun scopes because they all made everything look smaller! You guessed it!

Then there was the guy who walked into a gun shop and asked the clerk behind the counter; "What kind of rifle do ya' think I could get for my wife"? "I don't know, what does your wife look like?"
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I was at Cabelas one time and watched a store clerk selling a guy a scope with a 50mm objective. When the clerk walked over to the rings he grabbed a set of weaver low rings. I had to stop him and explain the error of his ways. Had to actually argue with him for a little while until another one came by and agreed with me.

Another time I was in the ammo aisle and overheard an employee telling a woman that for practice shooting, "the 300gr .44mag ammo would recoil far less than the 180gr .44 special because the bullet isn't going as fast".

Want to really confuse a clerk?

Tell them you have a .475 Linebaugh pistol and someone once told you that you could shoot .480 Ruger ammunition through it. "Won't the larger diameter bullets hurt it?" "Then why are the numbers different?"

Ask them if they have any left-handed revolvers?

Tell them you have a 7mm Express and want to know if it will shoot flatter than a .280 Rem?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray7 View Post
    I was at Cabelas one time and watched a store clerk selling a guy a scope with a 50mm objective. When the clerk walked over to the rings he grabbed a set of weaver low rings. I had to stop him and explain the error of his ways. Had to actually argue with him for a little while until another one came by and agreed with me.

Another time I was in the ammo aisle and overheard an employee telling a woman that for practice shooting, "the 300gr .44mag ammo would recoil far less than the 180gr .44 special because the bullet isn't going as fast".

Want to really confuse a clerk?

Tell them you have a .475 Linebaugh pistol and someone once told you that you could shoot .480 Ruger ammunition through it. "Won't the larger diameter bullets hurt it?" "Then why are the numbers different?"

Ask them if they have any left-handed revolvers?

Tell them you have a 7mm Express and want to know if it will shoot flatter than a .280 Rem?

Speaking of left handed revolvers!!!??!!? Did you know that Samuel Colt and Bill Ruger were both left handed? The single action Colt (1873, model p) and the single action Ruger (Blackhawk, SBH, etc) are both left handed revolvers. The gun is loaded more easily by holding it in the left hand, with the loading gate on the right side.

Do you know who made the worlds first right handed single action revolver? (With the loading gate on the left side.) A very well made gun it was too.

Now if you had a wisened old clerk that had a sense of humor and had been out in the field a few times over the years, and if he so happened to spot a customer new to shotgunning he could probably sell him a 12 ga. 3 1/2" magnum pump shotgun and convince him to only buy the higher priced 3 1/2" magnum shotgun shells, convincing him that the 3" and 2 3/4" shells will not work in the 3 1/2" chamber, since the chamber is too long.

Murphy,
    Was it a Grover #5 revolver that had the loading gate on the left? Way easier to operate for right handers.

I worked in the gun dept of two different Gander Mountain stores, when I was in college. I have LOTS of stories, some from customers and some from fellow employees.

Some not so great customers:
    I always cringed when someone would come in looking for a self-defense gun. "I want something that'll really blow the crap out of someone." I'd just walk away.

On many occasions a customer would buy a gun, scope, and ammo the night before the opening day of deer season. After they finished paying for it, they'd head over to the gunsmith's window and ask him to mount the scope and boresight it to 200 yards for them.

Sometimes I got chewed out when I answered a customer's question with "I don't know" or asked them more questions when I didn't understand what the wanted. . . . . What do you mean you don't know what kind of ammo my 7mm takes? I TOLD YOU I have a Winchester. . . . . What do you mean, "what kind of rings?". I TOLD YOU I have a Tasco scope.

I had a couple guys ask me what kind of ammo they should I buy for killing the neighbor's dog/cat or whatever.

Not so great employees:
    I worked with another guy named "Dan". Several times I would get questioned when I came to work. "Did you say this?" My answer was always "no".

The "other" Dan once told a customer that he should just shoot .300 Win Mag ammo in his .300 Wby to save money on practice ammo. When asked what changed on the Browning A-Bolt II, from the original A-Bolt, he said they put aluminum bolts in them to make them lighter.

I also hated when fellow employees would get into heated political discussions/arguments at the gun counter. Not the place for it, IMO.

Wow, I'm glad I don't work at a gun counter somewhere. I have no friggin' idea what the answer to most of these questions is. I guess that is why I've been frequenting this forum, to learn more.

I have an old 30-30 Marlin and the ammo is pretty easy to find for it, although getting the new LeverEvolution seems tough at times. I'll be upgrading soon to a 30-06, and figure that one to be a pretty easy ammo find as well. (Although I'm sure someone here will now tell me to make sure I get the 30-06 weatherby remington bearstoppers only, or something like that, and I'll spend months looking for it ).

Here is the Grover Improved #5. It has Elmer Keith written all over it. I think there were about 1500 total ever made on Ruger made SBH frames.

This company was Bill Grover's Texas Longhorn Arms. He bought a quantity of frames and when they were made up, it was over. The guns were pretty much 44 mag and 5 1/2" barrels with the Bisley style frame (though it isn't really nor were they called that) with the low flat hammer and a locked down cylinder latch pin. Some say a couple of 45 Colt calibers were made. Mighty good stuff. They sell for about $2500 today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome pic Murphy. Great Northern Guns in Anchorage had one on the shelf a few years back and i luckily got to handle it...a fine firearm indeed. Too bad I didn't have the funds or permission from headquarters(the wife) to even think about buying it.

A few months ago when I started looking for another rifle. I started online checking out all the makers and the various models, calibers and their features. It had been years since I had done any research on rifles (divorce really has a way of really screwing things up). Anyway, after a good deal of online research I went to one of the local sporting goods stores which has a fair inventory of rifles to check out and handle a few. On of my pet pieves is I like a top tang safety, which the old rugers used to have. So I asked to see a Ruger M77 Mark II Sporter. He told me 'they discontinued them'. I said, "They did???, I just saw then online last night". He said, "wait and let me check", then he came back and acknowledged they were available but they didn't have any on hand. So he pulled off another Ruger M77 and I noticed it had a different safety. He told me that they had changed the safetys which is about the only right thing he said to me. So, I loked at a couple other guns and asked if he had any with a tang safety and he said noboby was making tang safeties anymore. And I asked, "what about Browning?". He said, "nope". He seemed to be getting more and more impatient and aggitated with me (I know I can do that to some folks ). He told me several things that were flat out wrong. Also, I heard the next clerk feeding another customer some BS. Finally, I just left in discust and drove over to Ennis, to Shedhorn Sports where I found completely different service. Expert salesmen, bending over backward to help me. "Hey check this out....go ahead and squeeze the trigger... etc" And...... I picked up a Browning off the rack, and low and behold... a top tang safety.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well I don’t have any funny stories from the counters in the gun store cause, at the risk of sounding like a know it all, and I am not too worried because you guys have seen some of my stupid posts, but anyway, I generally figure I already know way more than the average guy behind the counter so I don’t even bother to ask questions.

Now funny stuff at the shooting range or in the field………….now that is a different story and I have seen plenty of good ones. One of my all time favorites is a buddy of mine whom was just getting into the whole front stuffer black powder thing. After hammering a couple round down range out of his new toy, between what was undoubtedly the longest, most awkward and clumsy reload technique known to man, he turns to us and says “hay, what the heck did you guys do with my ram rod??” thinking we had been messing with him. We of course replied that we had no idea where he put the stupid thing and a hasty search around the benches turned up nothing……….. ya, you know where it was………..well, most of it anyway, was about 75 yards down range!!

On another occasion I watched in amazement thru the spotting scope as my friend who is normally quite the crack shot with his Ruger 30-06 ,consistently sprayed lead all about, over, under and every which way but into any semblance of a “group” on his 50 yard target?! I said “Steve, what the heck is going on? You cant hit squat” and then after careful examination he said in his best sarcastic voice “you think it has anything to do with these 270 Winchester cartridges I have been shooting thru this 30-06?” Ahhh, Yep, I guess that would do it!!

Well boys that’s all I got for tonight. I am actually in Cambridge UK at the moment and then off for France, Germany and Belgium next week (isnt the internet cool)…………not much in the way of sporting arms for me to check out, or anyone to really talk to about them…….. a guy in the pub caught me reading Handloader magazine while I was having what worked out with the exchange rate, to be a $5 beer, and looked like he had just seen a terrorist or something……….. too bad. Some of the places around here look like they would be perfect for a tree stand. Haven’t seen hide not hair of any critters though, but did see some deer crossing signs out in the boonies so they must be around.

As they say over here “cheers”
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    Ya, a guy at the store tried to sell me right hand twist bullets for a left hand twist gun.
    Hahahahaha! You're twisted!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself even if it was lame....

I gotta admit there are plenty people behind the counter who have "deficiencies." I've also been on their side the counter. I've had people try to convince me that it was ok to shoot .270 Win ammo through a 30-06! I've seen .338 Federal brass that someone fired through a .338 WM! We had a guy come in upset with us for selling him a Snake Charmer for halibut because it blew a hole in the bottom of his boat! I can't count the number of times I've had to patiently explain that I needed more information before I could help someone select ".300" ammunition. I had a guy who needed a new scope because he couldn't see the moose at 100 yards with his 4x. Then there was the guy who handled just about every brand (including Beretta, Browning, Ruger, WBY) of O/U shotgun on the shelf then complained that none of them had ejectors, just extractors. He wouldn't believe me that they did have ejectors until I dry fired one for him THEN opened it.

BTW, I learned a lot from customers when I was in the industry too. That's the key, if you don't know, be willing to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast