Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a solution for shipping guns to AK

Default Need help finding a solution for shipping guns to AK

Let me start by saying that I couldn't find the answer to my questoin via the serch feature on this forum. So hopefully some of you all have experience with this issue and can give me some instruction.

I am considering doing a black bear hunt in southeast AK. We are planning on driving to Prince Rupert and then ferrying (my pickup and boat) to Petersburg then boating to a remote forest service cabin. I want to take my hunting rifle and a large cal revolver with me. I understand that Canada is very strict about transporting firearms so I am trying to figure out a way to get my guns to Alaska.

I called the ATF office in Portland, Oregon today and spoke with a rep that was not really sure at first how to accomplish this since I have no way of shipping them to myself. She did some research, called me back and stated that it is perfectly legal to ship both my rifle and large cal revolver to a shipping hub in AK. She said go ahead and ship the guns to a UPS branch in my destination city. I expected the ATF agent to inform me that I must ship the revolver to a licensed gun dealer but she told me that large caliber revolvers are legal to ship – there is a restriction on auto loaders and many calibers. I specifically asked about .500, .460, and .454 and was told that these caliber revolvers are legal to ship with out a going to a licensed dealer. Unfortunately, she stated that they could not be shipped via US Postal Service.

This sounded good to me until I called UPS and was informed that they will not ship any revolver in this manner. Furthermore, the closest UPS hub is in Juneau which doesn’t help me much.

So, can anyone tell me how to get my guns to Alaska? Is there a freight company that can do this - one that ships to the small communities in SE AK? The only problem I can see with this (if even possible ) is that it may be hard to coordinate the timing since I will only have a week or two to drive there, hunt, and return.

Any/all advice is appreciated.

i shipped my guns through the usps just have to let them know they are your guns and your shipping them to an address where you will recive them.. also must have trigger locks.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

I think you got some bum info.

It is handguns and long guns not small caliber and large caliber, revolver and auto loader. You can ship via USPS long guns to your self at another address. USPS will not by regulation ship any handgun, except dealer to dealer. UPS will ship either but will not ship or receive any handgun except through a licensed dealer. USPS will also ship handguns to and from a licensed dealer. I do not know for sure but I think these are ATF requirements also for the handguns. But if you think you can drive to Prince Rupert (in Canada) with a handgun, you are mistaken. You will not be allowed to bring a handgun into Canada.

Why can't you fly to someplace in SE Ak and take them with you? Then by plane or boat to your ultimate destination.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

yes only rifles.. thats what i shipped...
    Semper Fi!

I would mail the rifle U.S.P.S. and forget the revolver. If you think your rifle needs a back up, find a better rifle. Of course if you or someone else was going to fly, problem solved.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    I expected the ATF agent to inform me that I must ship the revolver to a licensed gun dealer but she told me that large caliber revolvers are legal to ship – there is a restriction on auto loaders and many calibers. .
    There is NO RESTRICTION WHATSOVER on shipping ANY HANDGUN FROM YOURSELF TO YOURSELF

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think you got some bum info.

But if you think you can drive to Prince Rupert (in Canada) with a handgun, you are mistaken. You will not be allowed to bring a handgun into Canada.

Why can't you fly to someplace in SE Ak and take them with you? Then by plane or boat to your ultimate destination.
    Hi guys.

Murphy, acutally, the fact that I can not drive to Prince Rupert with my handgun is the exact purpose of this post - since I can not drive my hand gun through Canada, I am trying to find a way to ship. I have flown to Alaska many times (and taken handguns with) but this trip is for another purpose. We do not want to fly because this is a combo trip where we will be driving, boating, fishing, and hunting, all with my rig and boat.

I was also surprised when the ATF person told me that I could ship a "large caliber revolvers" but not other handguns. She told me that there are specific caliber handguns that are legal to ship. That is why I asked her specifically about the calibers that I am interested in. She told me that the 3 I sited were in the "legal" category. This information may not be correct but she did get confirmation from her superior so there may be some training needed in the NW office.

Big Al, can we ship rifles to the Petersburg Post Office? If so, how do I address the pakage so that the post office knows to hold it for us? Regarding your comment about leaving the revolver home because my "rifle needs a backup", I'll just let that one go since I am sure there are many folks who understand the purpose in carrying an extra weapon. There are many extenuating circumstances, which I do not want to get into in this thread, that can and do arise while in the wilderness.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    There is NO RESTRICTION WHATSOVER on shipping ANY HANDGUN FROM YOURSELF TO YOURSELF
    I hope this is true but the ATF agent told me that the U.S.P.S will not ship any handguns. UPS told me they will only ship handgus to licensed dealers. If this is the case, I may just have to find a dealer in Petersburg and ship the guns to them. Hopefully the fee won't be too high...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

Not true, only a licensed dealer can mail a handgun using USPS. Otherwise it has to be shipped overnight express using Fed Ex or UPS. And that costs about 50-90 for each handgun each way.
    Tennessee

You better make it a 2 week trip if you are driving thru canada and taking a ferry, thats going to be almost a week in travel just getting to your cabin and back.

I know it may save a little money to drive up and ferry your own boat and truck, but Murphy's suggestion may be much wiser for a smoother hunt, "driving to prince rupert"? I tried that last year, got all the way to Prince George and had to turn around. (Floods and mudslides in terrace and smithers limited then ultimatley prevented travel thru) So then I had to go to bellingham to catch the ferry. If I would have only known before that long day of travel towards Prince Rupert, Canada!

Granted that doesn't happen every day but I am beginning to understand weird things like that always seem to find there place up here,

sorry saw your current post about using your own rig, must have been while I was writing,

my wife worked for the usps, and i had the same questions last year when moving, now she works fed ex, and I can tell you that both usps postmasters (one from WI and the one in AK) told her no handguns, big no no unless going thru a licensed dealer, Fed ex is the same I believe, lic dealer only, she just started I have to go ask her.

The rifle to yourself question though is simple, call the petersburg post office, talk to the postmaster and tell him to hold your mail, that you will come in and pick it up, should be fine....

Why haven't you read through the FAQ's on the BATF website? All your question will be answered.

And yes, the ATF chick told you wrong.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Why haven't you read through the FAQ's on the BATF website?
    Because I am not he sharpest tack in the box. Thanks for the suggestion - I will check that out. But the other reason is becuase the purpose of these forums is to get information from other people who have experienced similar issues. I have learned that many times I will get suggestions that I did not think about. Personally I tend to learn from other folks better when I don't think I can figure it all out on my own..

Thanks again for your suggestion - it is helpful.

yup fed ex is stricter, you have to ship a firearm to a licensed dearler,
    fedex link
    http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html
    click on "firearms"

USPS link:
    http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={1a083d60-0b5b-11dd-4106-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c%7B0ed22230-57e2-11dc-51b6-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType= Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=fals e&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=441#Whatisrequire dtomailashotgunorotherfirearmtoafamilymember

UPS ...
    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...ipping+firearm

hmmm the wording is kinda open...

"....and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package."

ATF link look at B7 - B9
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

it states handguns are not mailable but may use a common or contract carrier, so would that include ups? or is that just stuff like air line, bus line, cruise/barge line, van line, railroad, etc. ????

A little known secret here in Alaska. UPS uses the USPS service to move their shipments to Alaska. The line I got from UPS as to why the FFL to FFL was because of employee theft. That makes since, who would think of sealing any firearm going toa FFL dealer.

I would give SPAN Alaska a call.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

FYI,
    Span Alaska will not ship household goods including guns and ammo just commercial freight. I'm dealing with a move up to your wonderful state and I'm currently dealing with similar circumstances. See my post on my call to Canadian Customs.

Regards,

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Not true, only a licensed dealer can mail a handgun using USPS. Otherwise it has to be shipped overnight express using Fed Ex or UPS. And that costs about 50-90 for each handgun each way.
    Correct, I left out thw words common carrier, sorry about that.

In any event, I daresay that I have arranged the shipments of well over 1000 "from you to you" transfers for folks coming up here and leaving. I remember when 9-11 hit we were sending guns out by mail and UPS left and right. If the OP sends me a PM I can help him arrange it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    FYI,
    Span Alaska will not ship household goods including guns and ammo just commercial freight. I'm dealing with a move up to your wonderful state and I'm currently dealing with similar circumstances. See my post on my call to Canadian Customs.

Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    I have serious doubts that you can find a village store in this state that does not have cases of ammo, without SPAN Alaska stamped on the shipping containers.

Default Canadian Customs

Is the barrel length on your pistol to short to transport in canada? B/c otherwise why not just apply for the handgun permit through canadian customs? It maybe easier to go that route then mailing. Or find a gun dealer in the town your going to and see how much he would charge you may be cheaper than getting the canadian permit.

BigAl,
    I'm sure a company used them to ship it in a large quantity to another company and then break open the boxes and sell it retail. I just got off the phone with them this afternoon and they told me they don't ship household goods, or firearms. When I asked the guy about ammo he also said no.
    Just passing along what the company told me.

Mountaintrekker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast