Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camouflaging shrimp pots.

Default Camouflaging shrimp pots.

Hi there. I am brand spanking new to shrimping. I am going to be trying my luck outside of Tee Harbor in Juneau. I have spend a few hours picking the brains of some local guys with a ton of experience shrimping this area and I'm getting conflicting thoughts on how to go about things. One guy swears by covering the outside of his pots with burlap to camouflage it and providing space for the shrimp to hide from predators. He says he has fished two pots next to each other, one camoed one not, and he pulled a ton more shrimp from the pot with the burlap. Another experienced guy I talked to said to absolutely not do that. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts from the shrimping gurus on this subject?

Is the glass half empty or half full? You will get diffent answers. I did it for one season. The problem I had was it created aloot of drag when trying to pull the pots up. Also when I let then go air would get caught between the cover(garden black stuff) and would not allow the pots to sink straight down.. Give it a try and find out for yourself... It is always fun to
    experiment while fishing.. Let us know how it went.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've covered some of my pots in the past and saw no real difference in catch...but there was significant drag...not only while bringing the pots up, but also while dropping them. Since they fall slower, they can drift off target more and this can make a big difference -- if you're fishing any kind of edge or dropoff, they can settle into much deeper water than you intend.

If you're going to do it, however, make sure you check the regulations...there are specific requirements about mesh sizes for some or all surfaces of the pots. I don't think you can legally cover all sides and the top. I think there has to be some allowance for smaller critters to escape.

Well I am pulling by hand so I think I will skip out on this idea. Pulling up a "Mondo" pot 400' down by hand is going to be hard enough. Thank for the input. Has anyone tried shrimping that area out there? There is a spot that goes from 29 to 79 fathoms that I am going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Well I am pulling by hand so I think I will skip out on this idea. Pulling up a "Mondo" pot 400' down by hand is going to be hard enough. Thank for the input. Has anyone tried shrimping that area out there? There is a spot that goes from 29 to 79 fathoms that I am going to try.

By hand? Sounds like you'll be the proud new owner of an Ace Pot Puller soon! Just kidding, but you might not think so after pulling a few pots. Try searching the classifieds here in these forums ...there was a guy awhile back that was selling a puller. Not sure if he ever sold it or not, but it's worth a check. From what I hear, the Ace unit seems to work pretty good.

Brian

Sounds good. Thanks.

I had heard the same thing about covering them with burlap... possibly from the same source here in JNU too!

I've fished many pots "right next to each other" on a line, and one pot always seems to have way more catch than the others... I've never covered any of them. I always figured one pot was falling on top of another or that it had to do with the way they land on the bottom...

The area outside Tee Harbor is about to get mobbed with king fishermen. Unless you're watching your pots and only doing short soaks, it might be a bit too heavily trafficked of an area... Barlow Cove just across the way is about the best shrimping I've seen close to town lately. Otherwise, head for Windham Bay or anything in the Petersburg/Kake areas... (Hint: There's a HUGE aid to navigation sitting on one of my most productive shrimping spots!)

Good Luck!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    (Hint: There's a HUGE aid to navigation sitting on one of my most productive shrimping spots!)
    Hmm... sounds like a five finger discount?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Hmm... sounds like a five finger discount?
    Just don't be messing with anyone else's pots... the pot you rob, may be MINE! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well it sounds like I guessed the right spot. If so, that's a long way from my stomping grounds, but I've been by there a time or two. Saw your boat ad on the alloy site, nice looking ride.

Yep... it's not really that "secret" of a spot anymore, but as long as Goldbelt keeps moving slow to open Hobart to cruise ships, it should be secluded enough to produce well for a few more years to come!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agree with Ak Gray and MRFISH. Someone told me to try this last year. Thought about for a bit and wondered about the additional drag on the pots while they went down. Tried a little experiment and the covering over the pots acts like a kite while they go down. They descend much slower and if the covering isn't exactly equal on all four sides, the pot just drifts off to one side and doesn't land anywhere close to where you wanted it to be. 500-600 feet down takes a long time and surfing the water with a covering makes it much more difficult!! Look at using a open web, wire mesh pot (like Potbuilder sells) and securing as much rebar in the bottom of it as your pot hauler can haul with how many pots you willl haul at once on your line and you will be better off IMO.

Dave

Nobody has ever given me a valid reason (in my opinion) why a cover on a pot would make it fish better. Let see?
    Makes the pot darker inside? yeah there is a lot of light at 450-700'
    Gives them a place to hide? How many have you caught in a unbaited pot

All i know is that it will make the pot kite nicely with the current & its hard enough to hit a spot with the heavy pots i have. No thanks on the covers for me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've done mine with the black cover and made a moon shape cut into it from one corner to the side to the other corner so when you drop it in the water the flap comes up and it glides down nicely the only drag you get is bringing it up but i guarentee after you pull a couple up by hand that will be the end of that and you will go by a pot puller. the cover is not there for a dark area it's there to make a it look like a cave and the shrimp can go hide from preditor's even if there's no light down there the preditors can still see down in the dark, and anything you can do to help can't hurt. just my $.02

try fishing a covered pot with no bait in it and see how many shrimp go in it to "hide". just my humble opinion

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Well let me see if I can explain it in a way that everybody can get. lets say you put 2 pots down both unbaited one with cover one with no cover whats going to happen, well lets see since the there is no bait trail from the lack of no bait well i guess your chances of catching any shrimp in either pot are slim to none.

Now same way as above but with bait. Now just using your head here lets say there was a ling cod swimming around your pot eye balling your shrimp in the pot that was uncovered causing them to be stressed and go crazy in the pot and then eventually some will get out by them thrashing in the pot and eaten by the ling cod.

Now take a pot covered on top and it has a way greater chance of the ling cod not even seeing them or them seeing the ling cod keeping them relaxed in a safe hide out and you can say this isn't better. shrimp stay alive down there because they hide from preditors of course some are unlucky but in my humble opinion it doesn't hurt a thing and can only help better your chances

Does anyone have any good areas to set shrimp pots in Petersburg area? We will mostly be in the Duncan canal area. Trying to keep the pots relatively shallow since I will be pulling the pots up by hand. When is the best time of year for shrimping? How long should you keep the pots soaking for? Sorry for all the questions but I've never shrimped before. Bait ideas? Thanks,
    BD

Ok PB it's your turn again

The added drag just adds strain to my puller. I have shrimped in the same area with covered and uncovered pots and pull the same amount. Back to the glass is half empty or half full
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default But how

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Well let me see if I can explain i......
    You might keep Mr. Ling and Mr. Rock fish from seeing the shrimp and the shrimp from seeing the fish. But they are still going to smell each other. Mr. Octapus and Mr. Starfish will enter and eat everything in sight, or smell. Mr. Octapus loves caves and holes.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

lol it's all good we all have different ideas and that's great but if, if's and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry christmas. if I could eliminate less preditors to possibly impede on my catch sucess why not try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast