Thread: european bush pilots

Default european bush pilots

hi,

I'm a student pilot. I follow my frozen ATPL in belgium at this moment but my real dream is to become a bush pilot! In Europe this is almost not possible, so do you know some european bush pilots at work in Alaska or can you give me some information how to become a bush pilot in general? It would be a very big help to me!

thanks and greeting from Belgium!

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    hi,

I'm a student pilot. I follow my frozen ATPL in belgium at this moment but my real dream is to become a bush pilot! In Europe this is almost not possible, so do you know some european bush pilots at work in Alaska or can you give me some information how to become a bush pilot in general? It would be a very big help to me!

thanks and greeting from Belgium!
    Once you are legal to fly in the US you have to amass 500 hours of flight time in Alaska before you can do any type of commercial type bush flying. I believe the most common way people build "Alaska time" is by giving flight instruction.

At the same time you are giving flight instruction you might find it beneficial to look into acquiring a "guide" license. We have in our FAR's a special provision for Alaska guide pilot's under part 91. I believe you still have to acquire the 500 hours before you could qualify under this rule.

Also; once you have the 500 hours of Alaska time it is not too difficult to land a job with commercial carriers operating out of Bethel Alaska.

And remember the old saying "be careful what you wish for"!

If you are not married, or running from a bad marrage, bush flying in Africa or South America for a relief organization is a good way to build some real experience. You won't get rich, but you will have some real world experience. The days of the true Alaskan bush pilot have long gone.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 250 hour jobs

There are quite a few jobs that only require 250hrs as well. Can fly one of those in the right seat and then move over to single pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    There are quite a few jobs that only require 250hrs as well. Can fly one of those in the right seat and then move over to single pilot.
    250 hours alaska time or total time? and is that the same in africa, south america,...? can you give me some further information or possible links or addresses about these jobs?