Thread: King Salmon Fishing Gear

Default King Salmon Fishing Gear

Hello,

I am hoping to gather some opinions on gear for an upcoming King salmon trip from late june through early july on the Kahiltna river. This will be my first time fishing Kings.

Recently, I had a local sales rep convince me to go with a 3 piece med/heavy (20lb) rod and spinning reel with 160 yrds of 20lb mono. I had expected to need heavier gear, but he claimed to be an experienced king salmon fisherman and lead me to believe anything heavier would take away from the fun. Just curious what folks here think about this setup.

Default King Gear...

Well baitcasting would be a first choice and two piece rod is prefered. Depends on budget and skill level. Also, How heavy rod is determinded by how much weight you will be throwing.

Is the river the Klutina, that u are reffering to? If so I would recomened 65-80# power pro or Tuf Line XP and 60# leaders combined w/ heavy casting rod and shimano casting reel.

Kahiltna river flows into the Yetna.

Two of my King go to's are a Lamiglas kenai special baitcasting rod an ambassaduer real(have used a rainbow of reel colors) and 25-30 pound mono (Trilene of some flavor for me).

Or same rod with 65# spiderwire stealth flourecent and a spidercast reel. Requires a heavy 50#? mono leader if you drift spin-n-glows. All other lures I tie right on the end of the line with a swivel of course.

The kenia special is rated for up to 25 pound test. I have found I am missing out on no amount of fun by using this setup. It helps too if there is any amount of current to deal with.

My dad uses a lamiglas spinning rod 7'6" rated for 12 pound test and uses 17 pound trilene XL. He has caught every bit as many kings as I have out of one river the little su. There is lots of room to roam with a little help from a boat as you can just go to a nice long beach and fight the fish from shore and there are no heavy currents.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yes, the Kahiltna river is a tributary of the upper Yenta River. A rod rated for 20lb line should be okay. I prefer the Lamiglas Certified Pro (10 - 20lb). Not sure if this is boat or bank fishing? May need to go heavier if fishing plugs from a boat.

Default agreed

I agree with the previous posts. If you haven't alread purchased the gear, I would recommend switching over to a bait casting setup for a number of reasons:

Spinners typically have weaker, less realiable drags, they are very prone to twisting/spinning your line, have a higher gear ratio, and have considerably less line capacity. On the other hand, they are easier to cast without causing grief such as backlashes and so on (unless of course you have too much line or the line gets spun).

The Kenai Special is a good rod but the Pro is better. The pro has a softer tip and a beefier bottom section (copy of the gloomis series). There are plenty of Kenai guides using the Ambassadeur 6500 series reels for kings and doing just fine. It has a higher gear ration and smaller crank than some of the Shimano reels but the price is very good.

There are many advantages to using braided line. More reel capacity, stronger line, less drag in the water, no stretch. Watch your knots and your fingers and it will be great.

Again, I'll echo the 2-piece recommendation.

But, if you have already purchased the gear, then it is water under the bridge and what you have will be adequate. I have landed Kenai kings with a GLoomis STR1045C which is a 8-17# rod, Ambassadeur 6500C and 15# Berkley Big Game while fishing silvers in August. So, it can definitely be done.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I agree with the previous posts. If you haven't alread purchased the gear, I would recommend switching over to a bait casting setup for a number of reasons:

Spinners typically have weaker, less realiable drags, they are very prone to twisting/spinning your line, have a higher gear ratio, and have considerably less line capacity. On the other hand, they are easier to cast without causing grief such as backlashes and so on (unless of course you have too much line or the line gets spun).

The Kenai Special is a good rod but the Pro is better. The pro has a softer tip and a beefier bottom section (copy of the gloomis series). There are plenty of Kenai guides using the Ambassadeur 6500 series reels for kings and doing just fine. It has a higher gear ration and smaller crank than some of the Shimano reels but the price is very good.

There are many advantages to using braided line. More reel capacity, stronger line, less drag in the water, no stretch. Watch your knots and your fingers and it will be great.

Again, I'll echo the 2-piece recommendation.

But, if you have already purchased the gear, then it is water under the bridge and what you have will be adequate. I have landed Kenai kings with a GLoomis STR1045C which is a 8-17# rod, Ambassadeur 6500C and 15# Berkley Big Game while fishing silvers in August. So, it can definitely be done.

Good luck
    Thanks for the responses. I will consider the baitcasting reel...sounds like it will have some advantages. Hopefully the 3 piece isn't too much of a compromise...I was more interested in a 2 piece but went with the 3 piece for packability. It should fit in my luggage pretty easily and with the fly-in, we have been encouraged to be minimalist packers. Also, I will grab some braided line to bring along as well.

Default CO eye DIK

hey, welcome!!! Bout time you joined...keep in touch buddy and let me know if there is anything I can help out with before you come up.

Jason

Hey Guys Is my browning Citori CTi22 big enough for king salmon. I think of it as a bigger bass reel. Can't lay my hands on the line cap. specs right now.
    Hhounds

Default for kings????

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    Hey Guys Is my browning Citori CTi22 big enough for king salmon. I think of it as a bigger bass reel. Can't lay my hands on the line cap. specs right now.
    Hhounds
    I have to say first of all, I am not a fan of spinning reels for kings. I could not find the CI22 but the CI25 has capacity for 160 yards of 8#, 5.1:1 ratio.... I am thinking that it simply would not stand up to fighting a large Kenai King. I know forking out $$$ for another reel can be a bit prohibitive, but I fear that this reel would simply self destruct under the abuse of a "hot" king. My opinion...

good luck

My dads spinning reel is a $40-$50 Shimano. With rear drag but not auto cast. I bet it doesnt hold more than about 110 of 17#.

I would not classify it as a kenai setup unless you have a really good boat driver.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".