Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whitesuits

Default whitesuits

So I'm in the midst of reading Tony Russ' book on sheep hunting and he keeps referring to whitesuits. Now I have a pretty good idea what Tyvek suits are and where to get one. The versions that I have seen before are really noisy, crinkly and fragile. Does anyone use something like this or is it a technique used by only a few? Also, he mentions making a "sheep head hat" complete with horns and all. Any suggestions on how to make one of these? I can't really see myself walking into Joann's to ask for their sheep head pattern .

I'd also be interested in hearing if any of you have had success with this.

The older Marmot Precip raingear had a rather whitish interior and on a few occasions I turned it inside out to make a stalk on sheep. I was in plain view and was able to get in to rifle range. Can't say for sure it was due to the use of whites though.

...We've always used one-pc painter suits, or a butcher coat...

I haven't tried making or using one of those sheep hats, but it sounds neat- whatever you do, keep it light...

Thumbs up Military Clothing Sales

If you know anyone in the military, the Army clothing sales carry a white hooded jacket that will fit over your normal hunting gear. Very light, durable, and inexpensive. Does the trick!

never fall down in the snow if you are wearing a tyvek suit.....

I know that sheep hunters who know a lot more than me use whites, but I have never found the need for them. Sheep have excellent eyesight, but I have always preferred stealth over whites, even when it means that I am moving inch by inch across a shale slide for 5 hours.

Default Whites

Agree with Chisana and Brian. I've always had in the back of my mind that I could turn my raingear inside out for whites if I wanted to, but I never have. I've never had the need or desire to try this technique. Staying out of sight is better, even if it means circling for a day around a mountain.

Default Tyvek

There are several different tyvek suits you can buy. The almost rubber waterproof one is useless for sheep but this one http://cgi.ebay.com/TYVEK-SUIT-PEST-...QQcmdZViewItem is ideal. It is made from a very lightweight mesh fabric that breathes well but doesn't absorb water too bad. There may be others but this is what I use. It weighs maybe 2 ounces and can be folded down to the size of a deck of cards.

I used a Tyvek suit on a bison hunt that was videotaped and I was amazed at how poorly it worked. I moved slowly, stayed downwind and could not get close. Examination of the video revealed that the brighteners made me look like Casper the ghost floating above the snow. Definitely use UV killer if you use Tyvek. I used a brown blanket and got right in range - got buff for everyone in the family.

Default Saw one once

We had been hiking up the Hallet River valley all dam day long. A super cub lands ahead of us and 2 guys get out. They were both dressed in white and one carried a mock sheep head. They headed to the mtn of our desire, obviously spotting the same sheep. We went on past as they hiked up out of the valley. We never saw them again. I have no idea if they were same day hunting or just siwashing.
    Sure got us to thinking....
    about getting a super cub!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Smile

Wow BB what a perfect illustration of why the area went to one in a lifetime draw. But rather than restricting the unfair chase plane spotting trojan sheep hunters they close one of the states best walk in areas. These type of guys will just go to another open area to use their planespotting until it is outlawed as the Alaska range and Brooks are famous for this...

As far as whitesuits.. I havent used them on any of my harvests either. But I started stalking sheep for fun with a tshirt as a kid before I had ever knew of sheep hunting. And last year I did use a whitesuit to stalk a sublegal ram to 30 feet praying he would grow two inches. I would bring one in case it comes in handy, but it is most helpful for a bowhunter who needs to get close. And in the case of bowhunting I would also try a scent blocking suit....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I agree with Brian and others, I crawled within 25 feet of 6 sheep wearing my regular hunting cloths. It is surprising what a 225 grain 338 will do at that distance, the Hammer of Thor comes to mind! You've just got to get on your belly and slither like a "stealthy" snake.

Default Sometimes they work.

We were looking for a ram for my son. It was to be his first. He passed on a small legal corkscrew ram--he wanted the biggest he could find.
    I was really proud of my kid's patience; and later it was to be rewarded.

We stumbled on a small group of rams which had a nice broomed legal that my son wanted. The sheep were incredibly wary and the biggest of them, the desired ram was on the far edge of the group barely in sight. We could see only his head.
    The closer immature rams were nervously watching us, we had blown our arrival with some shale washout and all we could do was slightly backtrack, slip into our whites and see if we couldn't fool them.
    Two of the lookout rams watched me intently as I pawed around (I only showed my hunched up white back and upper legs as I feigned feeding. I weaved around the rocks feeding while my son glassed and whispered the details to me.
    The two very tense lookouts quickly relaxed and got up and started feeding. The largest ram got up and fed his way over toward us and into gun range where my son took him.

We normally don't use whites, but that successful hunt wouldn't have happend without them. I bring them because they weight mere ounces and you never know.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:08.

What about white covers for your pack & rifle? : )

Man, that is just a fantastic picture, Frank! It'll be another 12 or 13 years before I can get my boy on his first sheep, but that picture makes me excited already.

Thank you, Brian.

We shed tears of joy over that ram before we huddled up and slept on him in that hanging valley far from spike camp.

I can only imagine the memories you'll have! Make the most of them; they grow so fast!

Default son's first sheep

Been there, done that. Son's first sheep shot on last day of 2 wk hunt 15 miles from strip - was also his first siwash (of many that were to come). Cost of trip - to much, memories - priceless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that is quite the first ram!

I told him when I first saw the sheep that he had no idea what he had done. He was the one that spotted the ram and he went down into the gorge by himself to stalk the ram (after we made it to the top), slipping past the sickle horn standing watch and killed him in his bed - he never even stood up. He was using an old Rem 660 in 308 with handloaded 165 gr NP at 2650 fps and a compact 2 x 7 Leupold. We ended up spending the night on the mountain, starting back at 5 am in the rain. The next day we humped the cape and meat 15 miles back to the strip. He was 13 that year. He has since become a die hard sheep hunter with 2 book rams to date. He now appreciates what a great ram he shot, even Dad has not shot a Dall that is bigger......yet.

Go to Sherwin Williams and buy you a set of white coveralls that painters wear. It would be a lot cheaper I bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast