Thread: Denali HWY

Default Denali HWY

Does anyone have any info on the riding in this area. I am headed out there this weekend and need to know if this is going to be snow machine or atv type trails this time of year. thanks in advance.

I ride there all the time in the summer. I bet there is still plenty of snow, though, on the trails that I ride. I usually don't go up there until the middle of June.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobet View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the riding in this area. I am headed out there this weekend and need to know if this is going to be snow machine or atv type trails this time of year. thanks in advance.
    Way too early for ATVs Usually be around the end of May or June to get very far on atv.
    This isn't an early, hot spring like 2005(?) when it was possible to ride atvs there in mid-late april.
    Even when there is a lot of bare ground mixed with patches of snow to go thru, the snowmachine is the vehicle of choice. ATVs are worthless in the spring, wet sugarsnow.
    Spring Bear hunting on snow has two parts. One is when there is enough snow and good enough conditions to travel in daytime. The other is some snow and some bare ground and you have to travel at night when what snow there is hardens up. No way part two is over yet.

Thanks guys! I will take a snowmachine and let yall know how it goes.

Look forward to hearing the report. I have been thinking about getting back up that.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Alaska_Lanche and LuJon were up there last week and it is still very cold up there during the nights (-17 reported), so the snow isn't going anywhere very fast...

Open water with plenty of ways to get yourself in trouble down low on the creeks and rivers. Make sure you are looking for rotten ice bridges covered with snow! Very cold at night but mild durring the day. Here are a few pics to whet your appetite!

Camp

Wheeling the sled

A little fun

Wolf Kill

Default Awesome!

Thanks for the update Lujon! Cool pics man!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page