Thread: Taking off a stock change zero?

Default Taking off a stock change zero?

Does taking off a stock force you to have to sight in your rifle again? I know that a bedded action shouldn't, but I'm talking about a bone stock factory rifle here.

How many of you separate your action from stock to clean it up every now and again?

Thanks, schmidty

When you put it back on just recheck zero.

It can change the zero if the screws are a different tension after reinstalling.

If your shooting at the range and your stock is not screwed on tight it can mess with your groups.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

happens every time i take mine apart.

Yup-Re zero. Never seems to be off much, but a couple clicks on the scope seems to be normal.

It changes. Wood is worse than glass but all will shift a bit. Always recheck. J.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Now I know.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I pull all my actions out of the stock every single time I clean them. All are wood stocks and they ALWAYS return to the exact same point of impact. Of course mine are glass bedded and I torque the screws the same every time.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I pull all my actions out of the stock every single time I clean them. All are wood stocks and they ALWAYS return to the exact same point of impact. Of course mine are glass bedded and I torque the screws the same every time.
    Interesting thread. I take my action out of my synthetic stock about every two or three cleanings (except at the range) and never noticed any POI change. Maybe I will only take it out once a year in the future? Also, never noticed any significant change in POI from first (fouling) shot after cleaning and folow on shots.

I imagine you could get around this if you torqued the screws the same every time. Not many people use a torque wrench to attach a stock though. It would be worth looking into.