Thread: Tell Me The Smell Of Your AVgas...

Default Tell Me The Smell Of Your AVgas...

Sounds kinda strange but...

I buy about four 55-gallon drums of 100LL per year to use in my snowmachines, chainsaws, and if any is left over, dump it into my boat. I have purchased AVgas since 1994 when I began running snogo's. I was always impressed by the nice "hi-test" odor of the fuel (not at all objectionable), and after some research, found this nice odor was due to the percentage of toluene used in the fuel.

I just purchased 60 gallons today, and as the fellow was filling my drums, I was repelled by the physically repulsive odor. It almost made me sick to my stomach; it really stinks.

I telephoned the manager of the tank farm and asked if he was aware of any new formulation of AVgas. I told the fellow I had pruchased a drum early last spring, using it up over the summer, and the stuff I bought today would have come in on the last barge, so something had changed. He replied that he wasn't aware of any changes, and assured me the gas was fresh.

It isn't written in stone that toluene should make up a significant portion of the fuel, only that it has a 100 octane rating, and roughly 2 grams/gallon tetraethyl lead.

Those of you who have fueled up recently, or have been purchasing fuel, can you tell me if your AVgas seems to have changed? You can send me a PM if you like or email rogerr(AT)gci.net.

Thanks.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hey come'on guys...NO-ONE has gassed up in the past few weeks? No-one?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

I burn mogas

Default 100ll

The 100 LL That I Buy Smells / Looks the Same. Blue Tint and Smell's Just Like 100 LL. I don't know of any specs on the fuel just know that I buy it from Birchwood, Elmendorf, and at Merrill.

Default Gased up

I have gased up numerous times, but lately been cutting back on sniffing the petro. Just makes the safe landings easier.

Terry

Depending on where you live your gas is barged in. As far as I know when it is off loaded it is not recertified. Here in Anchorage it is tested before it is offloaded. If it doesn't pass the recertification test, it isn't taken. Alot of things happen on those barges and holding tanks could have been dirty, contamination in the lines, etc. Maybe you got a bad batch.

That is exactly what I am thinking, because it sure doesn't smell like anything I ever bought.

Thanks.

With high prices and record profits for the petrolium companies, you may see all sorts of garbage being peddaled onto the market that would have been otherwise condemned.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have emailed a former professor of mine and asked him if he would be willing to run a sample from here, and one from a local airport in Anchorage or Fairbanks.
    The gas doesn't need to have toluene in it to bump up the octane rating, it only needs to meets the requirements of 100LL, so it could be they reformulated the gas with other components that satisfy that requirement, but not smell so nice.
    I'll try my best to find out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Hey come'on guys...NO-ONE has gassed up in the past few weeks? No-one?
    Are you sure you didn't mean "has no-one passed gas"?