Thread: Where to get bear hides tanned?

Default Where to get bear hides tanned?

I live in juneau and got black bear hunting and was wondering if anyone has any ideas where to get the tanned. Its well over 500 bucks to make on into a rug down here and I cant afford that so tanning sounds like i could be cheaper. I got one tanned loacally last year and it cost me 350. Was wondering if anyone had anyother ideas about getting them tanned and how much that would cost. What do you need to do if one is going to ship a bear hide. I shipping my trapping hides but they are all dried and cant spoil. Would you have to felsh and dry a bear hide before shipping as well?
    Thanks
    Carl

I've used Moyle tannery in Heyburn Idaho (208-678-3421). They're pretty fast and not too expensive. They will tan skins that are either dried or fleshed and well salted. Either way make sure that you turn the ears inside-out, split the lips and skin the toes out to the last joint before you either dry or salt them. I prefer to salt the skin twice in the first 48 hours, let it dry just a little, then fold it up and send it through the mail. Let the tannery know if you want the skin tanned for taxidermy or for garment purposes.
    One thing that I never see anyone mention is that when you get your skins back from any tannery they will appear much smaller that you remembered. Everyone at first thinks that they sent back the wrong skin. When the skin comes out of the tanning process they shrink up a whole lot, but you can bring them back to size. Both taxidermists and furriers (garment makers) wet the leather side of the skin and stretch it back to size by tacking the skin out on plywood until dry. You might want to ask the tannery if there's a particular method they recommend.
    Mark

Default Tannery

There's one in Anchorage. Alpha Fur Dressers. They are near the airport.

Default Either

I have used both Alpha Fur in ANC and Moyle in ID. I send my trapping skins to Moyle though I know they do all furs. I send my big game hides to Alpha Fur. It is much more convenient for me to drop it by Alpha or ship it there then to ID because I usually bring my skins there fresh and raw. They will flesh them for you and turn the ears. I've sent several bears and a few goats and other things to Alpha always with good results. If I remember right, I think my last black bear cost about $300 to tan.

Alpha does good work, but the guy is a Grade A *******, in my experiece.

Default Alpha

Alpha did a great job on a whole moose hide I dropped off last year. Alpha butchered three caribou capes I dropped off at the same time. I will not be taking caribou to Alpha again. Alpha did an average job on my black bear hide. A few wholes cut by Alpha in the blackie hide, but no where as bad as the caribou mess I received back.

Default I would Say..

Trophy Tan/Taxidermy does the best job around South Central area and I have taken mine to all the others around before nice guy too that owns it. I can't recall his name though, they are in the Valley.

Default valley tannery

does anyone have any recommendations for a place out in the valley?

Default Valley Tanning

I believe the place in the valley is called Tims Trophy Tanning, and his name (may be wrong) is Tim Vandentorn.

Default Bear hide

Try Tundra Tanning and Taxidermy. We specialize in bears. $50 a foot for black and $65 a foot for brown bears. Turn around time is about 6 months or sooner. Located in the valley. Should salt or freeze bear solid before shipping no extra charge for pulling feet or turning ears.

Default Alpha Fur Dressers

Alpha Fur Dressers in Anchorage will do a good job and is very reasonable on cost, they will ship it back to you. I have had a bunch of stuff done by them and they have always been easy to work with. If you ask, they can get it done fast if you pay in advance.

Default Trophy Taxidermy

Tim VandenToorn owns Trophy Taxidermy (907-745-6186) on Green Forest Dr. about 1 mile from 3 Bears OR just around the corner from Finger Lk. boat launch. He's done a beautiful job on everything I have taken to him. The real beauty is he tans everything on site himself. No holes, lost hides, or any problems what-so-ever. He's been in the business about 30 years.
    BK

I'll second Tim at trophy tanning, i used to work for him there in the shop and him and Randy do all the tanning themselves and do a bang up job.
    Alpha Fur in anchorage has ruined two lifesize hides i've taken two them and they leave alot of stuff laying around on the floor in a pile for quiet a while, then just blame you or the guide for it going bad....can't tell me a sheep hide on the bottom of the pile in the door way early august is gonna be very well off.... don't suprise me to read some of the other experiences from them...
    i know Tim used to do alot of the valley taxidermist stuff as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212