Thread: Slope 'bou Update

Default Slope 'bou Update

Anybody go up to the slope over the weekend for 'bou? If so, how was the weather, what are the road conditions, and WHERE ARE THE 'BOU??!!

Default Bow thread

Check out the Bow Hunting thread and I'm sure some one has been there and posted on them w/in the last week.

I'm looking for current information from this last weekend if anybody went. All the stuff in the bow section about hunting bou on the slope is 2+ weeks old.

Default slop update

Just got back saturday night. We hiked out grom galbrith and shot one at about 10 miles out. there was nothing closer. Rifle hunitng is gonna be tough. We skiied a total for 22 miles for one bou. Fun adventure. We also bow hunted on saturday. Bou were from atigun out past toolik. Lots of groups. Caribou just about everywhere. We had no problem find opportunity. We got about 5 yards from some on an ambush and my girlfriend got here first alaskan bow kill. nice young bull with antlers still on. Just finnishined cutting it up actually. Weather was nice and sunny and warm during the day but as soon as the sun went down it go cold. My buddy and I that hiked out were both using -40 rated sleeping bags and we were both cold the first night. took hot water bottles to be the second night and were nice and toasty. But yea lots of bou next to the road and beautiful weather.
    Carl

Happy to hear the weather isn't bad. Not what I want to hear about the bou being all along the road. How were the road conditions?

Default Bow/Rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by fshslyr View Post
    Happy to hear the weather isn't bad. Not what I want to hear about the bou being all along the road. How were the road conditions?
    Which one you going up with?

Not sure if you are going up with anyone...but I am looking/itchin' to go up as well.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I'm only going up with my .30-06 because its all I have for big game. I'm going up with a friend of mine and I'm already thinking we are going to be short on space in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by fshslyr View Post
    I'm only going up with my .30-06 because its all I have for big game. I'm going up with a friend of mine and I'm already thinking we are going to be short on space in the truck.
    Sounds like you guys are going to have warm weather. I think if I go up it will be a turn and burn.

Good luck!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

That is what our plan is too, get up there, get out, find bou, and come home.

Default quick trip

We went up last weekend, walked 6 miles out....shot/cleaned/quartered 2 caribou.....and walked 6 miles back in, taking 12 hours. We left Fbnks Friday night around 11pm and returned to Fbnks Sunday around 1pm. The roads were nice and the day temps were warm(night was windy and cold). We drove around 20 miles north of Galbraith Lake and headed in east....finding the herds just about everywhere. They were a little skiddish, but we put in some time to stalk(around 2 hours of crawling).