Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Glacier Craft finally finds water

Default New Glacier Craft finally finds water

Many of you have been following the build of our new Glacier Craft and know that I have been a bit anxious, to say the least, to spash "Patience". Well, I took a little drive down to Whittier on Thursday to scope out the launch and purchase my season launch pass at the very least. I discovered that it was still winter there. I talked with one of the locals and he said that they had received about 350" over the winter. I mentioned that it looked like most of it was still hanging around. He just nodded, took a drag off his hand rolled cigarette, and smiled.

I headed over to the launch and discovered that it was about 80% free of ice and the entire area was covered in sand. This is doable for Saturday. Well the forecast for Saturday was high winds, 5 footers, and freezing spray in Passage Canal. I am not really in to the whole freezing spray thing, so I postponed the big launch until Sunday. We pulled into Whittier at about 10:45 am and the launch had really cleared up over the past few days. I was a bit apprehensive about having old Patience taking me for a walk down the ramp so I had a friend help me out. I figured two diesels are better than one.

Here is the set up:

On the way down:

So close that I can taste it:

Missed the rebar

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

She floats!

Was there anyplace to park?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

man looks like winter over there! ramp looks good though. ill be there weekend after next.

We motored out of the harbor and cruised at 2000 rpm for the first hour and then 3000 rpm for the next hour as Yamaha recommends for the break in period. As we enter Port Wells, there were several pods of Dahl Porpoise working the area. Several of them proceeded to ride the bow wake and gave us a show for the next several minutes. The porpoise got bored and the second hour was over. Time to put Patience on step. I eased the throttle forward and she planed without hesitation. I have never driven a boat with both reverse chines and lifting strakes, like the GC, but can say that I like it! It is a much different feeling than the old searunner, for sure. Very similar to taking off in a cub. The manual says the remaining eight hours you should not run WOT for more than five minutes at a time. I eased the throttle forward and hit 6100 rpm's with a lot of throttle left. Perhaps I hit the rev limiter? The gps read 40+ mph and with a bit of tweeking of the tabs and trim I was able to hit 46.4 on the gps. I know that the best economy is once you hit plane. She can stay up on step at 21 mph with a bit of tab, but 4400 is the real sweet spot. Here are my numbers with the 13 3/4 x 19 yamaha black stainless props at 5 hours:

rpm mph g/hr mpg
    4300 25 18.3 1.37
    4400 32.3 19.2 1.68
    4700 33.9 20.5 1.65
    4800 35.6 22 1.61
    5200 38.2 26 1.45
    5500 40.5 32.4 1.25
    6000 44 36.8 1.2
    6100WOT 46.4 40 1.16

I know that I am under propped, so I will be trying out some new props once she is broken in. I hope to see ~2 mpg at cruise. I have a pair of 14x21 four blade on order. That should bring my rpms down to the 5800 range and I should gain more hole shot and pickup economy at cruise. I like it! Come on spring!

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Was there anyplace to park?
    Parking is limited. The main lot must have 6-7 feet of standing snow.

Sweet Sweet Sweet Sweet !!!!!!!!!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Any pics of her on the water from the front?

It's been a long time coming, buddy. I'm glad to hear you've got your first ride under your belt.

Very nice boat! May your journeys on the water always be a delight for you and your family
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Any pics of her on the water from the front?

Time on the water was limited, so I did not take any pics while underway...just burned gas. 89 gallons total.

Default wow..

Congrats.....She's a beauty.

I hope she's everything you dreamed of!

Bet you can't wait till summer to enjoy the cool breeze vs. the freezing breeze.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Thumbs up She floats,...And she looks good!

Congratulations Spoiled One, Patience is a beautiful boat.

Your seatrial numbers look good even with the smaller pitch props. I wouldn't have guessed that 4400 rpm would be the sweet spot. We would all like to see your numbers with the new four blade props on the Yami's.

What were the seas like in Passage Canal and Port Wells?

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    Congratulations Spoiled One, Patience is a beautiful boat.

Your seatrial numbers look good even with the smaller pitch props. I wouldn't have guessed that 4400 rpm would be the sweet spot. We would all like to see your numbers with the new four blade props on the Yami's.

What were the seas like in Passage Canal and Port Wells?

I was really impressed with the power. Cruising at 4400 and dropping the hammer was impressive. If you were not sitting down and holding on, you would be! I may lose a bit of that going up in pitch , but I am sure my cruise mileage will improve.

Seas in Passage Canal were less than 2 feet on the way out and it was flat all the way out through Dangerous Passage and back through Knight Island Passage. It picked up going through Port Wells, but they were only 2-3 foot.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Glad to see the boat is exceeding your expectations. Patience is certainly beautiful, especially in the water. Did you actually stop and get her weighed on the way to Whittier? How much was the tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Time on the water was limited, so I did not take any pics while underway...just burned gas. 89 gallons total.
    I just wanted to see what that mighty front end looked like at the dock. Man, she is a beaut!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Glad to see the boat is exceeding your expectations. Patience is certainly beautiful, especially in the water. Did you actually stop and get her weighed on the way to Whittier? How much was the tunnel?
    Do you have a date with yours scheduled yet? Would love to see those pics as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    The weigh station was closed both ways. The lady at the permitting office told me not to pull in on the way down. They do not want over sized vehicles crossing traffic. I need to find that out for sure. Tunnel was $30 or $35 for the over size.

Thanks for the pics and post. Beautiful boat!

I`m going to go chew some asperin now...maybe it will stop the chest pains. Just my luck...have to leave town for the weekend and the boat is already packed and sitting in the garage.

Wink

I passed you Sunday morning on the Seward Hwy southbound at Rabbit Creek. I guess my two snowmachines were a little easier to tow. We definitely did a SLOW pass just so we could check out your new boat. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast