Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: those easy to catch pinks

Default those easy to catch pinks

OK, I'm willing to swallow my pride and take some ribbing. It'll be worth it if I can pick up a bit of know-how to help me out this summer.... Last summer was my first year fishing in Alaska. I'm by no means new to fishing, but I won't proclaim to be an expert angler either. I anxiously awaited the arrival of pinks to the Cook Inlet rivers as I figured it would be a good way to learn a thing or two about salmon fishing and catch some fish. Afterall, everything I read told me how pinks would bite anything you threw at 'em. So after reading all the reports of how many pinks folks were catching, I was getting pretty discouraged as my efforts were producing very few fish. Spinners, spoons, eggs, even flies. I snagged quite a few (not intentionally) but hooked very few that actually bit on my lures. There were days where guys next to me caught as few fish as I did, so that gave me a little hope that it just wasn't me.... But I'm wondering what advice folks might offer for someone who can't seem to even catch the easiest salmon species to catch? Discouraged, but not without hope, I'll be out there again this summer trying again

Default Cook Inlet Even year Pinks..

Pinks are predominantly arrive in East sied Cook Inlet streams on Even years.

Same here.

Last year, I was in B.C. and it was my first time fishing for salmon. I heard stories of guys catching 20-30 even 60 pinks a day! "Every cast I was hooking one!" Thats what I read online on a B.C. forum. However, my first time, anchored on top of thousands of fish, I used a pink jig for 8 hours straight and hooked a total of zero.... I didnt understand what was wrong with me! I was told they would hit anything pink, but I had my pink lures and they took none.

My second time, I hooked 2 in 8 hours.

Now Im sure fishing for pinks in Alaska is better than in BC, but Im ready to watch what others do.

Something as well, someone told me some fish are lockjawed when they hit fresh water. They hit because they are annoyed more than they are hungry. If that is the case, I could imagine if you pulled your lure away from the fish, slowly, he might hit it out of habit.

Lastly, I was told some schools would take lures very readily, but some schools dont. So if there is one school one day that dont take, maybe the next day, or the next tide will bring in a new school of aggressive fish!

Like you, Im hoping for a day of 30 pinks and 30 chum!! ooohhh those unpopular fish are so good to tourists!

Default Maybe a little late

You may have gotten to them a little late. Once the pinks are in the rivers for an extended period of time they quit biting, that's my experience. If you can try and time your trip about a week to ten days before they usually start up the rivers and concentrate on catching them in the ocean your chances should be greater.

Dead drift a small pink fly or jig under a float (indicator, bobber whatever). That way you'll (sorta) avoid snagging them and get more takers. A good way to avoid pinks is stripping a streamer over them and letting the silvers chase.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    You may have gotten to them a little late. Once the pinks are in the rivers for an extended period of time they quit biting, that's my experience. If you can try and time your trip about a week to ten days before they usually start up the rivers and concentrate on catching them in the ocean your chances should be greater.

I'd say this probably wasn't the problem for me. I spent much of my time fishing the mouth of Bird Creek as the fish were swimming up out of Turnagain Arm. I will say the low tide was much easier to fish. As hard a time as I was having, that high tide just created way too much water. My already low success rate really plummeted during high tide!

Location, location, location, lures lures lures, OOOOH wait we are talking about pinks .... Go head an hit the Kenai Peninsula hard on an ever numbered year and you should have no problem catching em cast... after cast... after cassssst

A red/white Dardevle spoon, or just about any color combination of 1/2-5/8 oz pixie will work wonders on pinks. If you can make it to Valdez, it is an endless pink fishery near the hatchery. You can cast from the beach and catch more fish than you can imagine. We had them jumping in the boat! It was great fun for the kids.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    A red/white Dardevle spoon, or just about any color combination of 1/2-5/8 oz pixie will work wonders on pinks. If you can make it to Valdez, it is an endless pink fishery near the hatchery. You can cast from the beach and catch more fish than you can imagine. We had them jumping in the boat! It was great fun for the kids.
    Hi Mud!

Im heading to Valdez to visit on the second week of July. Should they be there then? If so, Im not going to sleep. Barbless single hooks all night baby!

I know many of you dont like pinks, but, I used to have fun catching crappies. 4-5lb pinks for me is days of fun.

The river pinks meat aint good but the fightings all the worth it, Youd be suprised how hard a spawning 6 - 9 pound pink can fight....

My favorite lure for pinks is a pixie in either pink or orange. Let it sink near the bottom and retrieve it slow, you'll get them every time. I'm planning on fly fishing for them this year, should be fun.

Default pinks

last year i wa sout in main bay reds had all but gone, only got 2. but i was seeing lots of jumpers, so i took the boat over and there must have been 3000 fish trying to swim up a little bit of water. so i had the guys start fishing for them as soon as the shrimp fies hit the water they were swarmed. it got so bad i quit fishing and let the couple fish until they got tired of it. but we must have landed close to 200 fish while i was making dinner. they are plentiful and aggresive in the salt water. hey soda or anyone else if ya want to go for a baot ride get in touch. i always love watching people who enjoy alaska. jeff

Default Pinks

A couple of years ago I was taking a class at the University of Wisconsin and we had a chief that prepare all the meals for the course each day. On this one day they had salmon so being from Alaska I had to try it. Man that was the best tasting salmon that I had ever had. I ask the chief what kind of salmon was it and he said Alaskan Pink Salmon. I just could not believe it. They must of been flash frozen and the guy just new how to cook. We used to catch them and then can them. I think all of the salmon if they are fresh and taken care of right are great. Pink salmon heads are just the right size for halibut fishing.

Valdez is the place to get pinks. Fresher fish are easier to catch.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Soldotna pinks

In 2006 we fished for pinks on the boardwalk below the welcome center in Soldotna. Dates were between Aug. 15 and Sept. 7.

2 people fishing
    used any lure - coho flies, mepps, vibrax, pixees, spoons, single hook mandatory after Sept. 1
    decent weather
    each of us caught up to 60 pinks each
    never have to get your feet wet as the walk is over the water
    park your vehicle in the parking lot
    no porta potty available after Sept. 1
    best fun - coho fly on a 5 wt fly pole, no additional weight. Cast upstream and the fly sinks in the current. Watch a pink come up and slam your fly. Land that fish and repeat the process.
    Turn off, hearing the traffic going over the bridge while you are fishing, Oh well.
    I'll be there this year also!

anybody think its too early for pinks in Valdez from July 5 or 6th until the 13th?

___

BUt for the original question, why do you think it was so difficult for us to catch those pinks?

In my case, I my have hit them too late after getting into the fresh water. But shearej hit them as they were coming right out of the Turnagain arm?

Default pinks?

i'm not sure abut pinks but i'm sure the reds will be in. in my opinion they taste a little better and jump alot more. silvers may be available by the end of july in pws. the best thing about alaska and salt water fishing is you can catch anything at any time you just never know.thats why i like salt water fishing over stream fishing, and you do not have people right on top of you fishing for the fish that is on the end of your line.

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    i'm not sure abut pinks but i'm sure the reds will be in. in my opinion they taste a little better and jump alot more. silvers may be available by the end of july in pws. the best thing about alaska and salt water fishing is you can catch anything at any time you just never know.thats why i like salt water fishing over stream fishing, and you do not have people right on top of you fishing for the fish that is on the end of your line.
    Reds in Valdez? Where would I drive for that?

If you want to catch pinks, you need to be fishing for kings or silvers. That's how I always find em.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Soda that time line should work fine. I think there will be pinks in Valdez then. Also try Hope when you pass it by as it is a nice little river and should have lots of pinks then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast