Thread: Shotgun Cove

Default Shotgun Cove

Being that our boat is so small a hunt in PWS will kinda be limited ... Shotgun cove or another mile or two or three.... is about far as we can go, if we hit the cove before Mem. Day weekend is it usually full(of people)/ do bears even come down with all the pressure that close to harbor?

Thanks any posted or pm'd information is appreciated

-Nick

That cove you will find allot of kayaker's there from time to time. and you may see people diving there. There is a plane sunk there. As for bears you can find them there. With boat traffic and maybe people camping there, it could cut down on the chances to see a bear. But you never know until you give it a try... That weekend you could be the only ones there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks Gary- By the way (if) you have a wife does she teach at Service? I have a teacher named Mrs. Keller maybe just a common name

Theres probably a lot better places to go for bears on the way to whittier.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Thanks Gary- By the way (if) you have a wife does she teach at Service? I have a teacher named Mrs. Keller maybe just a common name
    She's a counselor at Mears
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You don't have to go much further than shotgun cove to get into some decent bear hunting. Just watch the weather!!

NO She is my Kitchen Pass monitor. ..... Once in awhile she will let me have a weekend pass.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default They're there.....

Just got to watch the kayakers. I have a friend who hunts out of Whittier every season and can see the town from where he's at and he still sees plenty of bears.

So as far as laws vs kayakers go, if we get there before them they can't come close/interfere with our hunting or they will be liable to charges correct?

So as far as laws vs kayakers go, if we get there before them they can't come close/interfere with our hunting or they will be liable to charges correct?
    Understand they are entitled to the same rights you have out there. As long they do not intentionally mess with your hunting they can be in the same area. Allot of times they won't know your hunting out there until you tell them or they see your weapon.. And for the most part they will head else where or just head to the other end of the cove/bay. You must now be mindful of where they are. Ran into Kayakers in one bay. They where staying the weekend there. Yes we were there first. We cruised by them and let them know what we were doing and the area we where hunting in. They where glad we came by to let them know. We told them during low tide we would hunt the beaches and high we would head out to fish. So in the end we both got to enjoy the beauty of the cove.
    One area I would not even hunt is Blackstone bay. That area has ton of kayakers and people cruising around in there boats.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sounds good ... Not targeting kayakers just remember reading some threads about problems with some bad apples before- wanted to clerifly the law, I'll be sure to show them plenty of respect aswell

- On the weather note I' gonna try For either The weekend of the 10th 17th or 23rd--- Anyone know how bad the seas typically are in mid May?

Default Weather is so unpredictable in PWS

I went out last year last week in May, seas were calm but it rained/drizzled for 4 straight days, didnt see one bear that whole time, it was only when it finally started to clear some the last few days and the rain stopped did we see bears, a friend and a uncle got thier bears. Best luck was during low tide, bears like to come down and feed then. Scout beaches where there's grass shoots. Took my bear last fall on a salmon stream, bears were much more concentrated and saw lots of them.

Good Luck. Hoping to get my 11 yr old his 1st next month.

AT

Sounds good ... Not targeting kayakers just remember reading some threads about problems with some bad apples before- wanted to clerifly the law, I'll be sure to show them plenty of respect aswell

- On the weather note I' gonna try For either The weekend of the 10th 17th or 23rd--- Anyone know how bad the seas typically are in mid May?

Agree all it takes one bad apple of each side to ruin it for who ever is trying to enjoy it out there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Update

My plans for my first hunt-

Looking at the tides I've picked either the weekend of May 17th/18th
    Or the first Friday /Sat after school is out (23/24)

May 17- Low tide, 1:22 PM ( Anchorage based so +/- an hour? )
    May 18- Low tide, 2:02 PM

May 23- Low tide, 4:48 PM
    May 24- Low tide, 5:22 PM

I will plan to glass the beaches/motor around Shotgun cove/ in that general area-

If we do not get anything on the first day I want to pull the boat back in, spend the night, and relaunch the next morning bright and early

If/when I get a bear I will skin/ butcher it on spot

- If I get a bear I will have it simply tanned, dont feel like paying 1.2k for a rug at the moment

- Meat will be turned into burgers, ribs for the grill, roasts, sausages, and maybe some brautwurst or jerky

Now just gotta get the dates to fly with my parents, but I'm pretty sure my step dad wants to try out his new E-TEC anyways

Thanks for all the information everyone has given me, learned tons and tons of information, last thing(s) I have to do is go pick out my gun this weekend (Sight it in the following weekend) and spend more time studying the skinning of bears

* MORE QUESTIONS

- Will beaching a 16' pretty thick welded aluminum runabout be a problem for hunting?

- Cant remember if Shotgun cove has a beach or not for glassing?

- If I'm getting my bear tanned do I have to keep the pads/ should I spend as much precision time as I would skinning the face as if I were wanting a rug?

If all goes well you will all be seein some dandy pics soon

Thanks again,

Nick-

* MORE QUESTIONS

- Will beaching a 16' pretty thick welded aluminum runabout be a problem for hunting?

- Cant remember if Shotgun cove has a beach or not for glassing?

- If I'm getting my bear tanned do I have to keep the pads/ should I spend as much precision time as I would skinning the face as if I were wanting a rug?

Nick-
    Hey Nick,

On beaching the boat it is no big deal. Biggest thing is make sure you ease in.

On the skinning I would treat every bear like it is a trophy and you want it mounted or rugged, that way when the day comes that you shoot that monster your not afraid of messing it up.

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!