Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Doing The Job

Default 45 Doing The Job

For brown bear with a hot load?
    Thanks

Sure, a 45/70

i wouldnt try a 45 auto on one, unless I had my will written out
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

A 45 Colt loaded with a 325 grain flat point hard cast (such as loaded by Buffalo Bore) at 1350 FPS will certainly work

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm

and so would the 335 grain flat point hard cast by Double Tapp Ammo at 1300 FPS

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...d63e9f332a71b9

Default Definite Not!!

Nothing is certain, but it would be a **** sight more likely then a .45 auto, even for black bear.

I'd put a hot .45 lc on par with a standard .44 mag, which is to say it would be minimalist as a primary gun. I prefer .44 mag since it can be loaded up hotter. I'm a little wary about .45's that are too hot because their cases aren't very thick.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Case thickness on current 45 colts is a myth.

This was posted in a reply to why I cut down 454 cases to load a specialty bullet in my 454 casull.
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/452101448

Originally posted by RMiller:
    To my understanding the casull case is built much stronger than the colt cases. 1.280" is the length of the colt case.

Maybe that was true in days gone by, but certainly is not the case today.. Ross Seyfried used Federal 45 Colt cases in his revolver to take a Cape Buffalo back in the 80s and he load 354 or 360 grain Hard Cast to 1490 FPS out of his 5 1/2" barreled Seville. Now that is about a 60,000PSI load. Ross only use 45 Colt cases and has written that when loaded to 454 speeds (presure) that he has never sxperienced a single problem and neither have I.. 454 cases are not needed if you do not want to use them..
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I prefer .44 mag since it can be loaded up hotter.
    I prefer the 45 Colt since it can be loaded up hotter.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default .44/.45 moot point

I don't even know why there is a real discussion of this. It's like Fords and Chevys and I'm sure not going to say which one of those I prefer (Chevys). A hard cast wide flat nose heavy for caliber bullet in .44 mag or .45 Colt would both give about the same terminal performance if shot placement is correct. As far as minimalist goes, in the wrong situation, there could be a valid point for that thought, as has been threaded sooo many times, a heavy rifle or magnum brennekes in a shotgun would be better, but let's not go there again.

I think we just did...

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I don't even know why there is a real discussion of this. It's like Fords and Chevys and I'm sure not going to say which one of those I prefer (Chevys). A hard cast wide flat nose heavy for caliber bullet in .44 mag or .45 Colt would both give about the same terminal performance if shot placement is correct. As far as minimalist goes, in the wrong situation, there could be a valid point for that thought, as has been threaded sooo many times, a heavy rifle or magnum brennekes in a shotgun would be better, but let's not go there again.

First off I have seen enough testing of the various big bore revolver to satisfy myself that a heavily loaded 45 will out pentrate a heavily loade 44 and the 45 leaves a larger wound channel. Therefore IMHO the 45 is higher on the ballistic food chain. How much so is open to debate..

As far as shotgun slugs aare concerned, the Teminator Slug (produced by Dixie Slugs out of Old Town Florida) are by far the most devastating slug that I have ever seen. Last may at the Linebaugh Smeinar in Jackson, Miss. the Terminator slug made my 416 Rigby look punny.

Check out the damage caused by the Terminator slug

Terminator

Link to Dixie Slug, They sell directly to the consumer

http://www.dixieslugs.com/

Is Dixie a forum sponsor now?

...A CANNON won't stop a charging brown bear at you, if the shot placement isn't right...

-I personally prefer my .44 for a side arm for bear protection ....but, just picking what YOU feel is the most comfortable shooting, accurately, is the important thing.

-I wouldn't mind carrying a .45 cal with a hot load, like you mentioned, for that purpose....especially if that was what I already had...(were you asking in order to make a firearm purchase DECISION?...or, is the .45 as the pistol you currently have, and you want to have the confidence in it for bear protection??)-if the latter...

-I would....shoot round after round and become profecient/comfortable with your .45

and...

...carry bear spray, as well, if you are ultimately concerned...(bear spray IS excellent)

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I prefer the 45 Colt since it can be loaded up hotter.
    ...I like that, Raingull!

Thanks, I typed it myself!

I'm surprised that more people up here don't use the .460 Roland conversion for the 1911. It's not a .44 mag nor a .45 Colt loaded hot, but a 230 grain at 1300+fps and a 250 grain at 1100+ isn't a popgun. 'specially with a 10 round magazine.

Default 45 Acp

What about a 45 APC loaded with a buffalo bore ammo? The reason "I" ask is b/c I have a S&W 500 that I carry and shoot okay, but have not shot a lot. On the other hand I have a Glock 21 that I have carried for 15 years as a duty weapon and shot 1,000s of rounds through and have great confidence in.

A .45ACP that you are confident with is going to worth way more than a .500SW that you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A .45ACP that you are confident with is going to worth way more than a .500SW that you are not.
    AMEN!
    Personally I've gone to the 10mm auto because I can get an accurate shot off quicker & have a higher hit ratio than I do w/my 44 mag. It's no 460 Rowland, but with the 220 gr hardcast rds I'm working with now I'm hoping for betwen 1250 & 1300 fps. And there are 15 of them in there

As AKsheephuntress said, nothing is going to "stop" one without a central nervous system hit. I'd rather be dead on with my 10mm than 3" off with my 44 mag.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    AMEN!
    Personally I've gone to the 10mm auto because I can get an accurate shot off quicker & have a higher hit ratio than I do w/my 44 mag. It's no 460 Rowland, but with the 220 gr hardcast rds I'm working with now I'm hoping for betwen 1250 & 1300 fps. And there are 15 of them in there

As AKsheephuntress said, nothing is going to "stop" one without a central nervous system hit. I'd rather be dead on with my 10mm than 3" off with my 44 mag.
    I dunno ...Joe Nava here in Fairbanks is one of the best bear protection experts in the state and he says large caliber is key and really believes in the 12-ga shotgun. He's got the real-life experience to back up what he says. Carry that principle to handguns and it's the same thing ...large caliber flat-nosed bullets will stop a bear better than other possible choices. Note that there's stopping and there's killing ...you can kill a bear with an arrow, but would you try to stop one with it when it was charging you? Shoot the largest caliber you can handle and practice a lot ...not 1000 rounds in 15 years (for confidence), more like 1000 rounds in 3 or 4 months to develop initial skill, then a hundred rounds a month to keep it. Experts state that it takes several thousand rounds through a handgun for someone to become proficient with it.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast