Thread: Kodiak Cabins

Default Kodiak Cabins

Does anyone know the deer "huntability" of any of the forest service cabins down on Kodiak?? we are pondering a meat run down there and wondering if any of the cabins are decent to hunt from... thanks.

Greg

My group 'struck out' at the Rolling Point cabin in Viekoda Bay last year. The weather didn't help as we were pinned down for a couple of days. Everyone I've talked to since says our mistake was going on the North end of the island, apprently winter kill has been pretty bad there. We did OK the year before on Afognak at Blue Fox Bay.

There are a lot of guys who will tell you to stay far away from the cabins if you want a succesful hunt. They figure the hunting pressure is too great. This makes sense to me, but I must say everytime I stay in a cabin and read the log, its full of stories of people getting plenty of deer.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    Does anyone know the deer "huntability" of any of the forest service cabins down on Kodiak?? we are pondering a meat run down there and wondering if any of the cabins are decent to hunt from... thanks.

Greg
    The cabins are owned by the US Fish and Wildlife Service rather than the forest service and some reasonable deer hunting can be found near most of them (in most years).

The older i get the more I enjoy having a nice place to sleep

Most of those cabins are on the water and having a small dingy with you can greatly expand your area to hunt.

There is something to be said about having a warm dry place with 4 solid walls when you return from a day in the field on kodiak - especially in the fall when the daylight is lacking

Default hey now...

Cutter, what are you saying about my small dingy!!! hehehe

Does anyone have any experience with hunting way north on Kodiak on Shuyak island???

Greg