Thread: How do you get your net to just sit without moving in the current?

Default How do you get your net to just sit without moving in the current?

I see some people just holding their nets with one hand and what looks like no effort. With mine I have to hold it with two hands and I'm struggling the whole time. I saw one guy with holes drilled in his so water goes inside and I think mine is airtight, so maybe I just have to drill holes?

Interesting on the drilled holes.

I've got a heavy galvinized steel 5 foot hoop with a large T. I can hold it well in current where other get swept. Still takes a lot of effort in stiff current and I'd like a better set-up.

Post Rope

If you are fishing from a boat you can tie off to the bow or something and that will help you out.

Copper River:

If dipping from shore, first find a back-eddy or water that moves upstream by the rocks. If the water moves upstream too fast, it will be difficult for you to hold the net there, so find the right location.

Once you find the right place, dip the net right next to the rocks, perhaps deep enough for you not to see the top of the net's hoop. That should be approximately 1-3" of water above the hoop. Also, you want the net resting on the rocks right next to the shore. This way you can anchor the hoop on a rock close to shore for support.

If the current is still a little too fast and you can't hold the net in one place, look for a notch you can lodge the pole to hold the net in place. This notch could be a large crack between two rocks, a rock that sticks out more than the next, etc. When I fish hits the net, just pull the pole straight UP fast as you move a foot or two downstream from the notch. Why? Because the fish is moving upstream in the net, which often lodges the pole ever harder onto the notch. So by rapidly pulling the pole UP and at the same time moving downstream just a little, you may avoid that problem if it ever happens.

Sometimes the net catches the rocks underneath, and the net can be lost to the current. That happened to me a couple of times until I learned to feel the rocks with my net and avoid those areas.

There are other areas where one can wade-in, but this practice can be very risky. However, some folks sweep the current with the net by either walking downstream along the shore, or by using the current as it moves downstream. But those folks that are into "workouts" to lose weight will find this mode of dipping the most useful

Regardless, dipping in the Copper is quite risky, and dippers fall in each year.
    Last edited by RayfromAK; 08-05-2006 at 14:32.

Talking Couple of thoughts

1. The dip net I used last stayed up great, but it was HUGE aluminum rig. It had enough weight to stay put for the most part. It just stayed rested on the bottom.
    2. My buddy had a couple of crows feet put on his ^^ on the bottom side of his. That did the trick he didn't move at all, but every time he caught a fish he had to untangle the net from those lil' feet.
    I watched a ton of other people struggling with the tide with thier little rectangle jobbers and they didn't seem to have any fun when the tide started to run. So I kinda figured it was worth the hassel to get the bigger aluminum hoops. Good luck.

Like they said earlier. I dip at Chitina and I always go down to the back eddies that are running back upstream. The fish use these currents to rest and to help run upriver. I like one that has some violent upwellings just below where I choose to dip as this turbulence raises fish up off the bottom. The water is very deep just a few feet off the cliffs here so you are only touching bottom on a small area of the underwater ledge anyway so don't worry about bottom but only barely submerge the net hoop.

Now here is the trick to answer your question. Take some parachute cord and tie across your hoop with a loop right in the middle of your hoop. Now tie another cord to a rock as an anchor and tie it to the loop on the cord going across the diameter of your hoop. This will hold your net perpandicular to the current with little effort on your part. If you set the length of your cord to the anchor just right you can hold your net in just the right spot to take full advantage of the back eddy.

Also I like to put a handle on the net's handle about 4 feet down the handle from the end. These are the shovel looking handles that are made to clamp over a handle and sit at a 90 degree angle to the net handle. I bought mine at Home Depot several years ago for a few bucks. It takes a lot of the torque off of the handle at the end of your net.

Default TR.

TR:

When you mentioned "I've got a heavy galvanized steel 5 foot hoop with a large T."

If your "T'' is 6ft from tip to tip we have the same net. Man I love that net.
    On Saturday people were fighting the current and I almost fell a sleep holding mine. (On the other hand, the fish were hitting the net so lightly - it was hard to tell when they hit the net. Couple of times I brought in two at a time.) This time of the year is a bad, as there sure were a lot of pinks, and very few reds.

Moose,

It's not a T. I did say it was because I was too lazy to describe it. It's a trapazoidal loop about 2.5 feet on plane with the net hoop. You can set it on the ground and wrap your leg around it comfortably. Or set it on your hip in heavy current and hang on the top of it to fight the flow. It's not the best set-up though and I've often wondered if I could put a net on this hoop too. (surely not legal).

This a two piece pole connected with 2 pins. I torqued it pretty good this season and there is some twist now. I'll need to strengthen it.

I like your 4 foot T handle. I can see you can get good leverage from it. I might try something like this.

I don't like the spikes and what not. The net gets hung up on such things. Though the rig Contender has is interesting.

The weld shop in Sterling makes net hoops from an oval tube. It's suppose to have less hydrodynamic resistance. I know one guy who has one. He says it works but I haven't seen it in action compared to mine.

Default Dip net

I have a 5' hoop and I use a custom 10' handle. It has two long bolts through it that form a 90 degree angle, making it easier to handle in the current. But...when the current runs it is tougher to hold it there. My other net w/out the two bolts runs away a lot sooner on me.

Good Luck,

Tim

Very interesting thread, coming from an area where we don't use dip nets I would like to see it in action. Is there any online photos or video clips to view?

Thanks in advance,

George

Holding the dipnet in the fastest water is not the best for two reasons -- 1). some of the time (may be most) fish maybe racing up a seam that is slightly slower (this is relative depending on the location you find yourself) and 2). it takes more work to hold it in place in the faster water. Most friction appears to be at the middle and top of the dipnet and less so at the bottom, which depending on the river/ocean site can be pushed into sand. I use a heavy aluminum rig with a ten foot pole and have been wanting to increase the t-bar at the end to a 2.5 to 3 feet in order to get more leverage for when the tide starts to go out and the water speeds up and the sand moves so the bottom starts to slip. I suppose holding the dipnet in fast water could easily be answered by a physics professor (I am not one). Yet, I think a heavier object is easier to balance and keep stable. Adding a longer t-bar may help.

Default Two Answers To That

#1. You can sit in on the bank... it won't grab any current there....

#2. You can do what everyone else has already said; find a spot where you see folks that aren't working that hard to hold up the net. If you fish the Kenai, fish the Kenai side and go into the cove that is exposed at low tide. Also another pointer is that you can help circumvent the current by staggering your net behid others, closer to shore or in between people. Fish swim in all these places and you'd be surprised at how much of a baffle all those dipnetters create.

Default rock & vise grips

It's been 20 yrs + since I've last been and was just a youth but we would sit on the bank and use a well planted rock to support the pole(keep it in one set place) and had a pair of vise grips on the pole to where when we turned the vise grips to the left it would "close"(meaning the loop would be horizontal )the net and help pull up and out.
    '
    Good Fishing

TnWalker

Default Where at?

No one has asked but where are you dipping? Kenai? (everyone walks the nets there it seems and it would poor form not to get in the conga line) , Kasilof? (where no one moves and you just stand there...it's pretty easy really) or the Copper? (were current is pushy, and you stand? )
    I was just wondering as each place is unique.