Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Kings - Juneau

Default Spring Kings - Juneau

I'm invested now... bought two packs of herring.

Away we go!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Well...did you get 'em?

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow... need to check the tides.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

you might check the weather... gale warning seas 8 ft tonight and 5 feet tomorrow, it was freaking ripping out by the breadline today...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    you might check the weather... gale warning seas 8 ft tonight and 5 feet tomorrow, it was freaking ripping out by the breadline today...
    Monkey... I'm more interested in the tides than the weather.

I'm going to fish from shore... maybe 3-4 hours.

If it is snowing, I might move my prospecting to NEXT WEEK. But, winds/rain/seas are sort of irrelevent for what I have in mind.

SURFS UP!

That was fun!

Beautiful day.... big waves with white caps .... I took a bit of a pounding in the surf, but it was WAY fun! I just pretended like I was on the Deadliest Catch when the big waves slapped over me.

Fingers got cold a few times.... caught an Irish lord.

It felt like I was fishing in the gulf.

I launched out of Tee Harbor this morning. Was only able to get to the entrance before the waves were getting a bit big to be taking in my 17ft Fiberform. The wind and waves came up quick. By about 12 the whole harbor was getting wacked. Just trying to get my boat back onto the trailer was a pain in the ass. Would have been almost impossible had some other guys not been around to help. No fish

I'm curious how you fish from the beach... Do you fish a cut plug below a slip bobber?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm curious how you fish from the beach... Do you fish a cut plug below a slip bobber?
    270, I am not sure where/when I learned this technique, and I wish I had a digital camera (mine is broken) to demonstrate. But, I think I can walk you through it verbally...

1. I tie a treble hook onto a leader... I have 4 or 5 of them setup.

2. I always brine my herring in rock salt and sea water. That's critical for the abuse they are about to receive.

3. I stick a toothpick through the herring's chin and out of it's forehead...then snip off all but the nubbins.

4. I wrap a very small rubber band around the protruding ends of the toothpick. (This ties the bait's mouth shut so that he doesn't scream).

5. I thread my leader up the pooper shoot and out the mouth.

6. I burry one barb of the hook into the side of the bait.

7. I tie the leader to my small banana weight (not previously mentioned but, it is 1.5 or 2 oz. attached to my main line).

8. I give a slow tug on the leader until my herring bends. Then, I halfhitch around the toothpick nubs.

I do wear polarized glasses... so I can see how my bait swims when I cast and retrieve. ... and to see if anything is in pursuit at the last second.

If my bait is not rolling to my satisfaction, I undo the halfhitch and adjust the bend.

The absolute beauty of this setup is it's endurance, and the minimal amount of disfiguration to the bait.

9. When I cast, I wait until I feel a bump as the bait settles into line behind the weight.... then I retrieve.

After awhile, if I am ready for a break, I slap on a regular old plastic bobber... toss it out, and find a good natural pole holder. Then... I take my break while watching the bobber.

I have caught a lot of spring kings both on the retrieve, and on the bobber....

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    I launched out of Tee Harbor this morning. Was only able to get to the entrance before the waves were getting a bit big to be taking in my 17ft Fiberform. The wind and waves came up quick. By about 12 the whole harbor was getting wacked. Just trying to get my boat back onto the trailer was a pain in the ass. Would have been almost impossible had some other guys not been around to help. No fish
    That was about as nasty as I've ever seen Tee. But, it was WAY fun getting splashed! I felt like a kid out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    270, I am not sure where/when I learned this technique, and I wish I had a digital camera (mine is broken) to demonstrate. But, I think I can walk you through it verbally...

1. I tie a treble hook onto a leader... I have 4 or 5 of them setup.

2. I always brine my herring in rock salt and sea water. That's critical for the abuse they are about to receive.

3. I stick a toothpick through the herring's chin and out of it's forehead...then snip off all but the nubbins.

4. I wrap a very small rubber band around the protruding ends of the toothpick. (This ties the bait's mouth shut so that he doesn't scream).

5. I thread my leader up the pooper shoot and out the mouth.

6. I burry one barb of the hook into the side of the bait.

7. I tie the leader to my small banana weight (not previously mentioned but, it is 1.5 or 2 oz. attached to my main line).

8. I give a slow tug on the leader until my herring bends. Then, I halfhitch around the toothpick nubs.

I do wear polarized glasses... so I can see how my bait swims when I cast and retrieve. ... and to see if anything is in pursuit at the last second.

If my bait is not rolling to my satisfaction, I undo the halfhitch and adjust the bend.

The absolute beauty of this setup is it's endurance, and the minimal amount of disfiguration to the bait.

9. When I cast, I wait until I feel a bump as the bait settles into line behind the weight.... then I retrieve.

After awhile, if I am ready for a break, I slap on a regular old plastic bobber... toss it out, and find a good natural pole holder. Then... I take my break while watching the bobber.

I have caught a lot of spring kings both on the retrieve, and on the bobber....

Does that help?
    Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I fish out of a skiff, but I always wanted to use a slip bobber and suspend a cut pug deep over some humps I fish in the winter/spring. Maybe I'll try it today.

Ran out today and fished the wind for 1 fish. Lost a much bigger fish after it ran a bit and popped off. Also caught a 25" shaker king that was released. Fun day but sure have a bit of windburn! Headless pic for you all..

Nice! I was out there for 6 hours. No luck today.

Right on 270! That's the way to kick things off!

You might go over to False Outer and strike up some chat with those guys. I've seen those slip bobbers over there.

I'm SW of you Juneau boys. My favorite time is Dec-May as I have the water all to myself. That's about the 15th king into my skiff since December.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    South End was gorgeous... not a whitecap for 15 miles, and clear all the way to Taku Harbor. It did get a bit bumpy down by Snett, but I didn't have to go that far to check my pots...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Went out this morning at 9:30am and scraped up two kings (or limit) and was back to the dock at 11am.

Nice, congrats. Where did you grab those at?

I live in Craig. I fish within site of town in my skiff and have found that good winter/spring king fishing exists, if you can put up with the cold and you know how to fish off the beach in deep water. I operate a charter boat during the summers, so this is the time for me to have all my fun!

I'll be hitting Tee Harbor again tomorrow... more prospecting.

I saw whales out beyond the can tonight, and gulls feeding in the cove...and the water was GLASS.

I will be there to greet the first king.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast