Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help With Our Ketchikan Trip

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5

    Default Help With Our Ketchikan Trip

    I have booked a trip this August for a week of fishing in Ketchikan and would like any suggestions or recommendations from the experts here.

    There are 8 of us traveling up (5 adults and 3 kids). We have rented a house for the week (Sat.-Sat.) and have a charter booked for the first two days and self-guided boats for the remaining days.

    2 of us love to fly fish so we plan to venture out 1 or 2 days during the week for some trout fishing in streams. Have heard we can take one of our boats to some spots (Naha?) and hike inland for fly fishing. Also may decide to fly out to the Misty Fjord area since that looks amazing.

    Anything you all can suggest is appreciated. This is a trip of a lifetime for all of us and I want to try to cover all the bases.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Naha in August will be great. You'll be picking up pinks, dollies, rainbow and maybe some early coho.

    Once you are above the lagoon you'll have a couple of miles of fishing up to Heckman Lake.

    A lot of Misty Fjiord mountain lakes are prime in August. Wilson Lake would be excellent. All fly outs would be quite expensive, be prepared.

    A beaver would be needed to haul all of you and would probably run $600-$1000.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Wilson Lake does look great. Probably worth the cost to spend the day up there. Does Wilson have river/stream fishing also? Only 2 of us are going to do the separate fly fishing trips so hopefully that will give us more options.

    Wish we were heading up tomorrow but it will be here soon enough.

  4. #4
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Yes, you should do quite well in the outlet. Can't remember if there was inlet stream fishing.

    Have fun.

    kingfisherktn

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToFlies View Post
    Wilson Lake does look great. Probably worth the cost to spend the day up there. Does Wilson have river/stream fishing also? Only 2 of us are going to do the separate fly fishing trips so hopefully that will give us more options.

    Wish we were heading up tomorrow but it will be here soon enough.
    Well this guy did publish a couple articles http://www.explorealaskacharters.com/captain.html
    in alaska fishing and northwest fishing, and wilson does hold most of the cutthroat records in alaska, but not many people go there and I have seen no recent reports.

    It is on my radar screen as well for some future trip. One of the two cabins is on the short list for potential closure or concessionaire leasing - so with the recent articles maybe more people will now go up there and give it a whirl. But a couple things to think about. First, wilson is landlocked (probably by a waterfall) from anadromous runs, so no salmon there, the deal is that the resident cutthroat get big by eating kokanee fry or naturals. I've caught cutts on surface flies, and the articles above imply that works on wilson, but I would think the large fish (and adult kokanee) are caught by some other method - trolling deep with a flasher perhaps?

    Second, Wilson is a fairly large lake. Is it not practical to row to the inlet from the outlet if you have that in mind. So if you want to hang out by the outlet and have the cabin there, you will be able to row a short distance. If you want to do anything else, like going to the inlet, or trolling something, you will need to bring a rental motor - and a good size one; like 6 hp and up, 10 hp would be better.

    Third, yes - two people makes it easier - and alot cheaper - since you can fit two people and gear in a smaller, and faster, plane (like a cessna 185 or 206); alot of pilots in ketch have larger planes (beavers), and you don't need that for two, imo.

    Wilson is way the heck out there. I'd like to hear a first hand report when you get back, if you go. Good luck.

    If you want to try something with salmon and trout - look at mcdonald - there are more posts on this location if you do a search.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5

    Default

    All but one day will be spent fishing halibut/salmon so we want to hit the trout areas for our fly day. Considering Rick Collins to head out to the Mistys. It's a lot of money but it would be a shame to come up there and not give it a try.

    I'll definitely post a report if we head to Wilson.

  7. #7
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToFlies View Post
    All but one day will be spent fishing halibut/salmon so we want to hit the trout areas for our fly day. Considering Rick Collins to head out to the Mistys. It's a lot of money but it would be a shame to come up there and not give it a try.

    I'll definitely post a report if we head to Wilson.
    Rick is a good choice.

    kingfisherktn

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Well this guy did publish a couple articles http://www.explorealaskacharters.com/captain.html
    in alaska fishing and northwest fishing, and wilson does hold most of the cutthroat records in alaska, but not many people go there and I have seen no recent reports.

    It is on my radar screen as well for some future trip. One of the two cabins is on the short list for potential closure or concessionaire leasing - so with the recent articles maybe more people will now go up there and give it a whirl. But a couple things to think about. First, wilson is landlocked (probably by a waterfall) from anadromous runs, so no salmon there, the deal is that the resident cutthroat get big by eating kokanee fry or naturals. I've caught cutts on surface flies, and the articles above imply that works on wilson, but I would think the large fish (and adult kokanee) are caught by some other method - trolling deep with a flasher perhaps?

    Second, Wilson is a fairly large lake. Is it not practical to row to the inlet from the outlet if you have that in mind. So if you want to hang out by the outlet and have the cabin there, you will be able to row a short distance. If you want to do anything else, like going to the inlet, or trolling something, you will need to bring a rental motor - and a good size one; like 6 hp and up, 10 hp would be better.

    Third, yes - two people makes it easier - and alot cheaper - since you can fit two people and gear in a smaller, and faster, plane (like a cessna 185 or 206); alot of pilots in ketch have larger planes (beavers), and you don't need that for two, imo.

    Wilson is way the heck out there. I'd like to hear a first hand report when you get back, if you go. Good luck.

    If you want to try something with salmon and trout - look at mcdonald - there are more posts on this location if you do a search.

    I second McDonald Lake. Did a trip there last year and had a great time. The creek feeding into the lake has several species. Hike up Wolverine Creek a ways and your bound to have a phenomenal time. My friend caught 20 dollies in a row with no false casts. It was silly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •