Thread: Fish Juneau 7/3/08, Icy Strait Point 6/30/08

Default Fish Juneau 7/3/08, Icy Strait Point 6/30/08

Hi,
    Two friends and I will be on a cruise with our families and will dock in Juneau 7/3/08 & Icy Strait Point 6/30/08. The 3 of us will be available for a 1/2 day of fishing at each stop. Anybody have any advise as to what to fish for and who to talk to?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Hi Bill!

Are you on the Serenade, Mercury, or Zaandam?

Early July is a great time to fish... with only a half day in each port, you'll want to focus on salmon while you're in Juneau and halibut in Hoonah (ISP).

I'd be happy to talk about fishing in the area a bit more, but I don't want to shove an advertisement down your throat either... feel free to shoot me a PM or eMail anytime.

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't book through your cruise ship!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Don't book through your cruise ship!
    ... unless he's on a Princess ship and wants to book their private (whole boat) 5-hour salmon fishing & whale watching excursion... then book away!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Just Hoonah

Thanks for the replies. We are on the Serenade and have decided to forget about Juneau and just to book a trip for halibut at Hoonah. The travel agent has found a trip (thru the cruise line I guess) that the cost is $239.00 per person. The trip is 3 1/2 hours long, and you will have approximately 2 1/2 hours of fishing. Is ther a better trip? Longer, less money? It's hard to tell from here. My email is bill08739@aol.com. It has changed from 3 to 4 people for the trip.

Bill

Default Hoonah

Case,
    I did check out your links and didn't find any thing for Hoonah. If I missed something let me know.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill08739 View Post
    Case,
    I did check out your links and didn't find any thing for Hoonah. If I missed something let me know.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    No, I work out of Juneau primarily. There has been much talk in the cruise forums of hiring a Juneau boat (me) to come to Hoonah for a day to run multiple trips. With the cost of fuel steadily rising this year, I think we would need to be talking about a full day (or 2 or 3 whale watches) to make the 2-hour run to Hoonah and back worth everyone's time.

Honestly, $239 pp for a 3.5 hour sounds high to me, but that's based on "normal" Juneau prices. Here, you can find a good number of 4-hour fishing charters (4-hours on the boat, 3-hours+ fishing) that went for $150 pp last year (direct booked) and $200 pp via a broker or tour vendor. This year, I think average direct booking price will hover closer to $200 pp when booked directly with the boat.

The other option, if you have a full day in Juneau is to book a halibut trip there... most of the local boats pretty much run to Hoonah to fish halibut anyway. Either way, the scenery and sight-seeing value of the ride to the fishing grounds is first class. I've had wives get dragged along on trips out into Icy Strait who never fished, but enjoyed the trip more than the fishermen!

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default fishing in Icy Strait Pt. (Hoonah)

My advice would be to google Hoonah fishing, or try Glacier Wind charters..good halibut fishing...also try the zip line...

Here are some links to some private charters in Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), the private charters are less then $239 pp for about a 3 1/2 hour trip.

http://dreamfishalaska.com/
    http://tokriver.com/
    http://www.g-wind.com/icystraitpoint.html

Also The Galley restaurant will be booking charters out there, mostly they do walk ins.

Hope this helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamfish View Post
    ...the private charters are less then $239 pp for about a 3 1/2 hour trip....
    Like I said before, $239 sounds awfully high for not even a half day's charter. Juneau boats are all getting between $150 and $200 for a 4 or 5-hour (on water) charter...

Dreamfish, since you're a charter operator in Hoonah, maybe you can answer the question I've been pondering lately... why does everyone charge more for a halibut trip than a salmon charter or whale watch of the same duration? I've always priced based on the amount of on-water-time my clients are getting, so why do all the other boats I've talked to charge more for halibut?

Oh, the paid business listings out in the AOD information section are well worth the money, IMO... from one charter/guide to another, give them a call and set up a paid campaign!

Happy Alaska Travels all!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Hoonah/Icy Strait Point Fishing

Hey Bill My name is Capt. Frank Byrd I have the Charter boat "Mystress".
    We have excellent fishing here in Hoonah.We also do whale watches and eco-tours (Basically run around looking at whales,bears,seals and sea lions ,puffins,occasionally otters and whatever else shows up) There are a couple of good independent operators over here that will make sure you have a good time.Another reliable operator over here is Capt. Chris Erickson with the good boat "Icy Lady" He is on the web as well.We are Dreamfishalaska.com and he is tokriver.com.
    We will be on a good halibut bite during the time you are here,but there will also be plenty of salmon as well.Your choice. Hope you will look someone up,I know you'll have a good trip. Frank

Default Hoonah Alaska Fishing

Hey Bill If you have'nt booked yet,checkout Dreamfishalaska.Com,There are several good independent charter captains in Hoonah(Icy strait point) we should be able to find you a good trip. Frank

Default Various cost of trips... Hey Case !

Don't know why other operators do what they do.I know a few captains in juneau and they charge more for Halibut,because they usually have to make the run over here to Icy Strait (As I'm sure you know) to find decent Halibut fishing,thats a hour and a half run in a fast boat one way so they mostly have to do a six hour trip to get the client on good fishing for three hours.Plus the increased cost of fuel, it all jacks up the price. I charge $180 for everything I do over here in Hoonah.Halibut,salmon,whale watch. My run time is 30 minutes on a long run and 10 or 15 minutes on average.
    (They charge more money up north because of long runtimes I 've heard also.) Capt. Frank Byrd

(P.s. Sorry I did reply earlier,have been fishing and have'nt checked this forum lately. )

Hoonah guys,

Is there a good place to have halibut vacuum-packed and frozen in Hoonah? How about shipping it back home to the lower 48? Any idea of costs?

I cruise and fish Icy Strait a fair bit, but haven't yet identified a good way to ship some fish home from there.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Talking Fish freezing

New Moon
    I have used a place called the Buy & Pack in Hoonah they vaccum seal and freeze fish. I did not go there last year but I would assume they are still in business. The cost the lastime I was there was a $1.00 lb. It is right behind the harbour masters office, look for a guy that looks like Art Garfunkle

Chuck