Thread: Old Bullets

Question Old Bullets

I just aquired a bunch of old nosler partitions (still in the original box), made in the 60's or 70's to the guys best guess, and I was wondering if I should use them? Are they the same bullet that is made today, or is one better than the other? Or are they a collectable item? Any advice is appretiated!!!

If they were made in in the 60's or very early 70's the bullets would have tiny grooves all over them showing where they were turned on the lathe.
    There used to be collector's value associated to them because 15-20 years ago they were still acknowledged to be about the best hunting bullet ever devised (opinions vary of course for those wishing to debate this).

But with all the newer designed hunting bullets the collector value went away.
    I would use them and enjoy them. Never could get those "old style" .30 caliber bullets to shoot very well for me.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I just aquired a bunch of old nosler partitions (still in the original box), made in the 60's or 70's to the guys best guess, and I was wondering if I should use them? Are they the same bullet that is made today, or is one better than the other? Or are they a collectable item? Any advice is appretiated!!!

You should get rid of them quickly. They can self destruct and possible cause bodily harm. Put them in a priority mail, flat rate box and mail them to me as soon as possible.

No they are not the sam bullet made today, they have lathe turned cannelures in them at the partition. They are all hand made bullets. I can send money. Or I could replace them with new ones for you. What calibers do you have?

Really you never know what can happen with old bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have some old barnes 200 grain 30 cals that I bought online. They came in a plain cardboard box that was ink stamped C.W.Barnes with pen handwritten 30 cal 200, IIRC.

You can see what I did with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5031114.JPG  
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The bullets you are referring to were made on screw machines from copper tubing. The last of these were made in 1975 with the exception of the .375 and the .458 bullets that hung on until those screw machines finally wore out. The above information was sent to me in a personal letter from John Nosler.

The reason they did not stay with the same material and means of production and went with industry standard of blanked jacket cups and drawing (material change) was because of faster production. As many of the reloaders/shooters remember that with this change the first thing everybody noticed was how much better they shot, compared to the tube jackets.

I think that what Nosler learned was more people shot paper than shot skin. As far as were they better than the old style. For paper yes, for skin, heck no!

Nosler made his reputation on the tube jacket partition bullet. The reputation among hunters using the newer style bullet was and is not the same.

What this did for the bullet business was cause a great many hunters to go on the hunt for a better or as good old style thicker jacket made of annealed copper. The Barnes bullets filled that bill, other makers like Stigger sure saw an increase in orders. Born was the 1.00 each bullet. Searches were made for NOS Nosler bullets, they quickly flew off the shelves.

Barns bullets was sold out, after (Fred's death) and moved to American Fork, Ut. It was not long before these bullets underwent changes. Things got worse for the Alaskan hunter, it went form good to worse for a number of years. No where was the effect of crap bullets felt more than here in Alaska. (the ratio of hunters to paper punchers was still high in favor of the hunter).

Of the bullets you mention, if it was me. I use them for hunting and count myself lucky to have them. After all, that was what they were made for!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

bullshop junior

Shoot em! or send em to me!
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Default It is true then........

well I guess it holds true with bullets as it does with many other things- "they dont make them like they used to!" That is what I figured. Oh and by the way Murphy, I currently have 2 boxes of 180 grain 30 cal, and possibly some 35 cal on the way if he still has them.

I'm good for the 180 grain .30 cals. Where do I send the postal money order?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson